Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Faint white smoke

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CRUm
Mud Tire Addict

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:05 am

So, I got faint white smoke from the tail pipe with the occasional drip of water. Oil is oil colored (not chocolate milk) I figure headers, but I wanted to see if there was anything I should check first.
Back to top Go down
DanC
Guy Who Knows Shit

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:45 am

White sweet smelling smoke is usually coolant.
My guess would be head gasket or gaskets.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 7:17 am

whats the mileage on the truck? if it's between 80-120k and you haven't done head gaskets I'd say it's worth a looksy. Start watching the expansion tank to see if you are losing coolant and watch the oil to make sure coolant isn't seeping in and making chocolate milkshake.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
CRUm
Mud Tire Addict

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 10:19 pm

60k on the truck and the smoke doesn't really smell sweet. I haven't really seen much fluid loss from the overflow tank, but it has dipped a bit since I switched from orange to green.
Back to top Go down
TOM R
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
TOM R

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Either it smells sweet or like burning oil, the water drip is normal , crown vics idling too long nosed down grade can actually start to drown , seen it happen on a crime scene
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:59 am

i would just keep driving it for now. eventually the head gaskets will need to be done, if that is the cause or not. i would keep an eye out for sales at RN and AB and start buying bits.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Sponsored content

Faint white smoke Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faint white smoke   Faint white smoke I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Faint white smoke
Page 1 of 1