Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What fer CB should I buy?

Go down 
+3
Long Haul
durt d1ver
DiscoSux
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

What fer CB should I buy? Empty
PostSubject: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 1:19 am

I used to know a little about these as my dad was into them in the '70's. Hell, I remember when they went from 23 channel to 40 channel.

What should I look for in a modern unit. I want cheap but what features do I need/want if any?
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 am

It depends. Where do you want to put it? You can get a big rig galaxy, and put it on top of your dash. Or you could get a small cobra 19, or small midland, and mount it overhead. I have a maxon (no longer around) where the sunroof switches would be.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 6:30 am

I have a Magnum in my rig and the green truck. I'll probably go with one in the red truck too. Theyre exspensive but Ive had good luck with them. I like Galaxy radios just because you dont have to tune the antenna to the radio, just plug and play. I personally like the full size ones muself over the more compact but space is kinda limited in these for a good mounting spot.
Back to top Go down
KingKong8247
ABS Modulator Fondler
KingKong8247

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:09 pm

This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-1001Z-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00024DIDK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315080434&sr=8-2

Mounted it right by my right leg on the center console. Works well on the trail and talking to truckers.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I have my eye on this one:

Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio

Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:03 am

I have a radioshack and a firestick antenna from the PR truck. Works fine and I'm sure it was cheap.
Back to top Go down
dschramm
3 Amigos Detective
dschramm

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 am

CB's r like cars,everyone has their own idea on good and bad.where do u plan on mounting the radio,where do u plan on mounting the antenna???
i put both my CB and 2M ham radio on the dash.i mounted my Wilson antenna in between the lights on the front of my roof rack.i ran the ground strap to the side of my rack to where i mounted another ground strap to the roof mount of the rack.
usually 18ft of good coax and a 4.5 ft Francis antenna will work the best.no need to check for swr's

so,the first question is where r u mounting the radio,then where are u going to mount the antenna??
What fer CB should I buy? HPIM2259
What fer CB should I buy? 003
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm

I just got a Cobra 29 radio. Now I am looking at mounting options. I like the overhead idea but this radio is too big for that. I am considering the dash or vertically behind the console.

As for the antenna, I saw one mounted to the spare tire carrier and I liked that location. I have a roof rack but will probably not install it; otherwise I would probably go with a mount like yours.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:14 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
I just got a Cobra 29 radio. Now I am looking at mounting options. I like the overhead idea but this radio is too big for that. I am considering the dash or vertically behind the console.

As for the antenna, I saw one mounted to the spare tire carrier and I liked that location. I have a roof rack but will probably not install it; otherwise I would probably go with a mount like yours.

I have mine on spare. I know people don't like the magnetic ones for wheelin cause they get knocked off by branches. You could mount on front or rear bumper too.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Jake wrote:

I have mine on spare. I know people don't like the magnetic ones for wheelin cause they get knocked off by branches. You could mount on front or rear bumper too.

I was considering the front bumper but wondered if it would be distracting. My rear bumper is toast. I saw Brian had his on the rear tire mount and that seemed like a good spot.

Why do they sell the antennas in pairs? To look "cool" on a pick-up truck?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:26 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
Jake wrote:

Why do they sell the antennas in pairs? To look "cool" on a pick-up truck?

Yes! I say go dual from bumper antennas lol
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Brett has is moutned behind the console. I think that is crazy out of the way. as for antenna i use the magnet whip on my roof and i have never knocked it off but i have the rack to protect the base, stan sticks is on the roof and that thing comes off every other trail cuz it's not protected. Brett uses a radio that I think is from 1992 it's a car phone antenna that sticks to the window. lol.. but he said it works great and since most of the time we are just talking within 200 feet you don't need much power.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I have mine behind the console I kinda like it out of the way back there, but thats just me.

What fer CB should I buy? Cf34c5dd

As far as dual antennas I wouldnt bother unless you have a higher power radio, but Ed is right usually on the trails we dont need to get farther then a couple hundred foot. I will recomend using a spring on fiberglass antenna mounts, I think I broke 3 glass antennas catching tree branches untill I put a metal antenna on.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Before I mounted mine overhead, I had it hanging off the back of the console.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Long Haul wrote:
I will recomend using a spring on fiberglass antenna mounts, I think I broke 3 glass antennas catching tree branches untill I put a metal antenna on.

Brian, you look like a freaking NATO rig with that antenna you have... geek
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 pm

i have a 5ft wilson fiberglass antenna you can have. It's a little on the tall side, but works good.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 3:18 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
i have a 5ft wilson fiberglass antenna you can have. It's a little on the tall side, but works good.

OK, the rest of you pony up! I got a free CB from Brian, now a free antenna (thanks Dirt!). Who has a spare antenna spring or antenna lead?
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProComm-JBC362-Slim-Line-CB-Antenna-Mirror-Mount-/370186540834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5630d65722#ht_2429wt_1396

That would work cheaply and easily for mounting on the tire carrier, or roof rack. You could also use just the lug for mounting on the front bumper. Then just get a spring and cable from radio shack or a truck stop.

Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 4:44 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProComm-JBC362-Slim-Line-CB-Antenna-Mirror-Mount-/370186540834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5630d65722#ht_2429wt_1396

That would work cheaply and easily for mounting on the tire carrier, or roof rack. You could also use just the lug for mounting on the front bumper. Then just get a spring and cable from radio shack or a truck stop.

that looks similar to the mount Billy has on his ladder.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Its the same, you can use it to clamp to a ladder also. Before putting mine on the spare, I had it clamped on my ladder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What fer CB should I buy?   What fer CB should I buy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What fer CB should I buy?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: