Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cones or retainers - the age old debate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Cones or retainers - the age old debate Empty
PostSubject: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Who's on what side? lol

I am thinking about running TF cones front and read on the new shock set up. I know Brian prefers x-springs. any other input or advice?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:40 am

Dennys gonna throw in some rear cones. Now I just need to get some front comes and front lower retainers.
Back to top Go down
DanC
Guy Who Knows Shit

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:32 am

mine is retained.
I have cones but have not tried them yet.
Dan
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 am

i like cones. waffle cones.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

I will say running cones or x-springs add to the "pucker factor" on off camber situations. If I wasnt building a flex whore like my green truck I would keep everything retained. As soon as I get her red truck done and on the road im going full coilover under the green truck. Cones are noisy also if that makes any difference to you.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
i like cones. waffle cones.

Mmmmmm waffle cones
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:35 pm

At Rausch last year, we had to stop and wait for Justin 4 or 5 times, because the springs on the white D2 unseated, and repeatedly missed the cones. So he had to jack the truck up with a hilift and reseat them.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:05 am

durt d1ver wrote:
At Rausch last year, we had to stop and wait for Justin 4 or 5 times, because the springs on the white D2 unseated, and repeatedly missed the cones. So he had to jack the truck up with a hilift and reseat them.

Yea I'm not going to run 12" shocks with this set up.. I doubt the springs will drop much below the base of the cone if at all. If I'd does I'll just buy radius arms and add 2" spacers Smile

I'm okay with the noise if it means making the truck more capable..
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:34 pm

SOOOO I found solutions to multiple issues thanks to Justin.

He's sending me the polycarbonate cones that mount on the bottom which is supposed to be nearly 100% effective for relocating the spring. So very little noise and should relocate pretty easy. He said these cones arent out yet but since he didnt have the blue Terrafirma ones he'd hook me up.

Here's a picture of what lower relocation cones look like.

Cones or retainers - the age old debate IMG_0315

I will post some pics of how they mount and work once I get them in..
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:46 pm

justin has sure taken care of us NELRC guys over the course of the past year.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
justin has sure taken care of us NELRC guys over the course of the past year.

Yea he has great customer service skills. No matter when I call he's always around to answer my questions no matter how stupid they are
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:58 am

On the desk today we have....

Cones or retainers - the age old debate Img_0711

A set of the new polycarbonate cones that mount on the rear spring perches. Better relocation that traditional cones and a lot less noise.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:00 pm

crazy lookin.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
crazy lookin.

Yea I was sitting there scratching my head trying to figure out how they would mount them. I think they are pretty slick and if they are as indestructible as they are supposed to be I'll be very happy.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Cones or retainers - the age old debate Img_0712

So they turned out to be awesome. I need to figure out how I am going to get the 19.5" brake lines Justins sending to me... Thinking I should have got custom lengths
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cones or retainers - the age old debate   Cones or retainers - the age old debate I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cones or retainers - the age old debate
Page 1 of 1