Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

blew my ass out...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
devitor
Dirty Diff Fluid Tech
devitor

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm

went wheeling by myself sunday evening (mistake) and THOUGHT i blew out the CDL linkage i installed. heard a loud bang coming from under the rover while i was crawling out of a stream, but the truck kept going until i hit a tough off camber spot. the reason i thought the CDL went, was because i had one wheel slightly off the ground, and all the power was going in that direction. spent a while trying to extract myself, then i eventually called my buddy jeremy to come help. we used a come-along to get the rover out, then headed for home. long story short, my buddy ended up towing me about a mile uphill, through some good trails, at a decent clip. thank god for big ass broncos? lol

made it back to my place eventually, which was when we noticed the larger puddle under the rear end...sure enough, i have some giant piece of metal sticking OUT of my rear diff cover...

we havent torn into it to see just how bad it is, but i'm assuming there really isn't any good news. im getting tired of fixing this damn truck, especially after putting as much money and time into it as i have.

im not a mechanic or anything but...is it sometimes as simple(if that's the problem) as just replacing the gears that are in the diff(ring and pinion?)?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ron.devito
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 9:55 pm

I would source out a used 3rd member. Fairly easy to replace the hardest part is pulling the axles. A D1 and D2 both have the same center section for the most part and will interchange with each other.

As far as the holes in the housing make sure you weld on the inside and outside where it is tore through and maybe use a little JB weld to help seal it up.
Back to top Go down
devitor
Dirty Diff Fluid Tech
devitor

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 pm

^^^^

i found a small LR "boneyard" not too far from me. the guy has no lie, 8 DIIs in his front yard. all of them are 99-02s. would it be easier to just swap out an entire rear axle? that is, if i can find one that's low mileage or something?
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 pm

I never swapped a whole axle out but I cant see it being real difficult. I have heard those rear hub bearings can be a real bitch to change. I would think once you get all the suspension broke loose (gotta love living in the rust belt) it probably isnt a bad job. I would see how bad your housing is first, Ive seen guys like Will Tillery, Marty Powell, an Paul Grant selling complete third members/ diffs for around $100-150.
Back to top Go down
devitor
Dirty Diff Fluid Tech
devitor

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 pm

cool, thanks for the info man!! im heading out on vacation in a few days, but ill prolly get in touch with that boneyard i found and see if he can hook me up. i need a bunch of other misc. things as well.

ideally i would love to find a LR with a blown engine, but nice frame. my frame has some good size holes and soft spots, but a new engine. it's getting tough having two projects going at once! lol

+1 to your rust belt comment!
Back to top Go down
DanC
Guy Who Knows Shit

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 am

You probably broke the diff carrier or the cross pin, it is a relatively common Rover issue.
It seems counter productive to replace it with the stock parts unless they are real cheap.
With new Detroits selling for $450 it makes a good case for spending more now.
Without changing the actual gears it is not a bad job to change the diff carrier for a Detroit.
People will tell you that you need HD axles when you get lockers.
With care you can wheel for a long time on stock axles.
Stock D1 axles can be had for 50$ and take 30 minutes to change.
It will take longer to get the broken parts out of the carrier than to change the axle shaft.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 7:43 am

hey Ron i need some random shit 2! like the driver side rear bumper cap, the driver side bumper tail light, and a passenger side front corner blinker assembly. Let me know if you can find any of those! if you're going to ROTR ill get em off them you then.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 pm

I have a couple diffs if you cant find one
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm

DanC wrote:
You probably broke the diff carrier or the cross pin, it is a relatively common Rover issue.
It seems counter productive to replace it with the stock parts unless they are real cheap.
With new Detroits selling for $450 it makes a good case for spending more now.
Without changing the actual gears it is not a bad job to change the diff carrier for a Detroit.
People will tell you that you need HD axles when you get lockers.
With care you can wheel for a long time on stock axles.
Stock D1 axles can be had for 50$ and take 30 minutes to change.
It will take longer to get the broken parts out of the carrier than to change the axle shaft.

Dan

Dans right on all of that - if you ever plan on it - you might as well do it now.

I just found a detroit for $300 used and a set of hd axles for $200 OH HAPPY DAY!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

blew my ass out... Empty
PostSubject: Re: blew my ass out...   blew my ass out... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

blew my ass out...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: