Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pit Bull tires compared to others

Go down 
+2
Long Haul
SPAS12
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

Pit Bull tires compared to others Empty
PostSubject: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:31 pm

I told another member I would measure my 37" Pit Bull tires and figured I'd give a brief real-world size comparison. You have to take into cosideration that the Rockers are over five years old and have pretty low tread(more so on my fronts than the rears). They are mounted on 15x10 wheels with 12-13 psi for the street, anything more and the tires bulge and wear incorrectly.

This is a 35x16 Swamper Bogger on a 15x10 wheel next to the 37" Rocker. The Rocker has weight on it since it is under the Jeep and it also may be sitting in a small divet since my driveway is new and still a little soft.
Pit Bull tires compared to others IMAG0385

This is a side by side comparison of the Rocker, 35" Bogger, 34" bias TSL and a 36" Dick Cepek Fun Country.
Pit Bull tires compared to others IMAG0384

Comparing width. The Rocker is suppose to be a 13.50" tire and the Swamper a 16" wide, The Rocker is slightly wider though.
Pit Bull tires compared to others IMAG0387

Side by side.
Pit Bull tires compared to others IMAG0386

Real world measurements.......as close as I could get anyway.

-------------------------------------- Advertised-----------------Actual

Dick Cepek Fun Country Radial----36x16.50------------------ 35.5x14.00

Swamper TSL bias-------------------34x9.50--------------------33x9.00

Pit Bull Rocker bias------------------37x13.50-------------------35.50x14.50

Swamper Bogger---------------------35x16-----------------------34x14.00

The weird thing is, when I take the rockers off and put on the boggers, the boggers just look small and not right. The rockers just seem massive when off and even on the truck despite the measurements. I have had a lot of tires over the years, from BFG to Swampers. I am a huge advocate for Swampers, but the Rockers just rode great for many years on the street, were great in the woods(I'm not really a rock guy) and are still kicking. Alhough one or two of the tires no seem to have a thrown belt/ply, because I get an occasional death wobble which I'm sure is caused by the tires.

I balance my tires with a good handful of steel BB's thrown in the tire before mounting, has worked great on my last couple sets of bias ply tires. Makes a cool noise at slow speeds and coming to a stop too.

Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks again for the heads up. I just wish companies would advertise there tires by actual size. I know Swampers have always been hit and miss on tire size vs actual sizes.
Is that PitBull on a 10" rim also?

My Mickey Thompsons 305/70/16-33x12r16 actually measure 33.50x12.50 with 8" rim on the truck.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:42 am

Dumb question Spas, are you running beadlocks with that setup? Thats some low pressure Id be afraid of popping beads off at that low. I know its hard to tell milage on and off road but do you have an aproximate milage you put on them? Im trying to justify buying a set iI just dont wanna have to buy another set a year from now.
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Long Haul wrote:
Dumb question Spas, are you running beadlocks with that setup? Thats some low pressure Id be afraid of popping beads off at that low. I know its hard to tell milage on and off road but do you have an aproximate milage you put on them? Im trying to justify buying a set iI just dont wanna have to buy another set a year from now.

I run them hard on the street, burnouts, hard cornering and braking at 12 psi and even 11psi. I mean, I straight lock up the brakes with the wheel turned, to slide on pavement with lifting the rear tire off the ground, frigin' powerside shit. It really throws a lot of weight down hard on those front tires and I never had issues. I'm not really into the rocks, but I've had them down around 8-9psi in mud, deep rooted ruts, over trees, steep inclines/declines and have no issues. I've read that other people run them really low on the tarmac too because that's what they need to be at to get a proper contact patch. They conform pretty well even at 12 psi.

I could'nt even guess at mileage, I drove with them on there as my daily driver for 3 years, then as a part time driver for over three years and two of tires have decent tread left. My fronts got ate up a bit, due to bad steering components and ball joints that I've fixed. Plus, the odometer reading has to be way off from the stock tires to these. They have lasted longer then any other tire I've had on it and have performed great. They will get some flat spots, sitting too long and in the colder weather, but it smooths out after a few miles. Mine have finally thrown a belt I think, but they are old.

If it's your daily driver and you have the clearance, maybe go with the radials first. My friend runs them on his four door Jeep in 37's and they seem fine. Kinda heavy and the radials are a little more squared, where my bias are round and bulgy.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah you could call it my daily driver, it gets driven about 20 miles a week sometimes 22 miles if I stop at the beer store lol. I have no problem clearing 35"s maybe a little rub at full stuf thats why I was curious on how they measured.
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 9:42 pm

I think you would get some pretty good usage out of them. I THINK they only make a bias 35 in a 14.50" wide?? I've seen them on rigs before and they look wide as shit. I believe the radial comes in a 12.50.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah 14.50 is a bit too wide for my setup. Wish they made a 12.50 bias I think I would already have a set if they did. Guess I'm gonna look around and see what else is out there before I bite the bullet.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Those tires are so damn sexy
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 pm

They are indeed.

What sucks is, I love the Rockers but I have that one 36" Dick Cepek tire in picture. I got it new for $60, but they are discontinued now and I can't find my exact size anywhere. I would like to try those out next if I could find the other three, they're just kinda vintage cool now.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

I think the last time I seen them Dick Cepeks were on the Fall Guy truck lol. They look like theyd be decent all terrains. I started shopping around for a set of 35-12.50 radials since 14.50 is way to wide for my setup. I like my Mickey T's but Im learning directional tires suck for anything but going forward.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 10:19 am

Long Haul wrote:
I think the last time I seen them Dick Cepeks were on the Fall Guy truck lol. They look like theyd be decent all terrains. I started shopping around for a set of 35-12.50 radials since 14.50 is way to wide for my setup. I like my Mickey T's but Im learning directional tires suck for anything but going forward.

No bfg km2s?
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 10:32 am

Havent decided against them, but I do like the BFG krawlers. Im just price shopping right now till iI find out the deal on the D90.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 pm

great info. any pics of the full truck/jeep? looks like its pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Here are a few. I never take enough pictures, but I will be bringing a Gopro camera to ROTR to mount on my truck.

Pit Bull tires compared to others IMAG0026

Pit Bull tires compared to others IMG_3247

Pit Bull tires compared to others 100_1943

Pit Bull tires compared to others IMAG0293

Old pictures

Pit Bull tires compared to others 000_0027

Pit Bull tires compared to others 000_0022

Pit Bull tires compared to others 000_0024
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 pm

holy shit your jeep has a massive abar bumper. at least you'll never have to worry about flipping forward with that thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 pm

That secend pic is cool with nothing but a stinger an rooster tails
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm

i have never seen a stinger that big its nearly a 1/3 the size of the truck
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Razz
Yeah, it looks bigger in the picture than it really is. It's made by Poison Spyder customs and I welded it to the frame. It actually doesn't interfere with any of the wheeling I do. I use it to crush downed trees, protect the front end and just for the intimidation factor on the street. I have thought recently of chopping it down or off, for that old jeep look again but...
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Jake wrote:
at least you'll never have to worry about flipping forward with that thing Very Happy

That's kinda the point.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
Jake wrote:
at least you'll never have to worry about flipping forward with that thing Very Happy

That's kinda the point.

I know, but I mean NEVER flip with that one. That thing is with out a doubt the biggest stinger I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 pm

We should weld one onto your bumper. That would have given you that one second you needed on the rock comp.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
We should weld one onto your bumper. That would have given you that one second you needed on the rock comp.

I wouldnt have been as hesitant to smash the gas pedal with that on the front
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 6:38 pm

thats a pretty badass jeep.
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
thats a pretty badass jeep.

Thanks. I'm starting to focus my attention to the 47 now since I have the whole thing apart to a rolling chassis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pit Bull tires compared to others   Pit Bull tires compared to others I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pit Bull tires compared to others
Page 1 of 1