Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?

Go down 
+2
Jake
apatrizzi
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? Empty
PostSubject: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm

I have 265x75s on my truck and its pretty doggy out of lights, merging, passing, or pretty much anything else. i found a steal of a deal on a set of GBR gears and am having a real hard time resisting, such a hard time in fact that i said i would buy them already ... i can always back out and be a punk, or delete my post. but GBR seems to be of acceptable quality, and the gear ratio seems to be just about perfect. does anyone else have input on this ?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
I have 265x75s on my truck and its pretty doggy out of lights, merging, passing, or pretty much anything else. i found a steal of a deal on a set of GBR gears and am having a real hard time resisting, such a hard time in fact that i said i would buy them already ... i can always back out and be a punk, or delete my post. but GBR seems to be of acceptable quality, and the gear ratio seems to be just about perfect. does anyone else have input on this ?

You gonna do lockers with those gears? Either way if it's a good deal go for it. This is one of those things I wish I had.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

You gonna do lockers with those gears? Either way if it's a good deal go for it. This is one of those things I wish I had.

i dont plan on lockers at this time. i have a lot of other junk to get together before i really go overboard with spending. with the CDL in there it should easily handle any terrain i really want to take it through.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 8:22 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

i dont plan on lockers at this time. i have a lot of other junk to get together before i really go overboard with spending. with the CDL in there it should easily handle any terrain i really want to take it through.

Not a huge deal to regear if you're running 32's - out of curiosity what is the price? I will let you know if it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 pm

4.11's might be a little on the low side with that size tire if you do a lot of highway miles. I have 4.37 and 33" tires and my speedo is 10 mph fast at 65 mph (it reads 75 an GPS is at65). If the 4.11s are a good price I would grab them. GBR gears are a decent product, if they are used make sure the wear pattern is good.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Long Haul wrote:
4.11's might be a little on the low side with that size tire if you do a lot of highway miles. I have 4.37 and 33" tires and my speedo is 10 mph fast at 65 mph (it reads 75 an GPS is at65). If the 4.11s are a good price I would grab them. GBR gears are a decent product, if they are used make sure the wear pattern is good.

I don't really do any highway miles with it ever. its a toy really and i have a company car for everything else.

the price reads "i have two sets of 4.11 ring and pinion gears for sale used for $325 a set" right now im trying to decypher if "set" means front and rear or not. If not it is clearly not a good deal at all since they're listed on gbrs site as 299 new per diff.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Long Haul wrote:

I don't really do any highway miles with it ever. its a toy really and i have a company car for everything else.

the price reads "i have two sets of 4.11 ring and pinion gears for sale used for $325 a set" right now im trying to decypher if "set" means front and rear or not. If not it is clearly not a good deal at all since they're listed on gbrs site as 299 new per diff.

Is the front reverse cut? That would make it worth $325 for the pair. Are the in diffs or not?
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 am

price was per diff. no the gears were not in diffs, it was gears only. no install kits or anything. and they are for d1 anyway.

Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:17 am

after this collasal failboat. i figured i should confirm. we need reverse rotation fronts right? I'm on GBRutah now and it looks like my options are either 3.9 or 4.11... at that rate id rather go 4.11.

i made the jump from 3.46 to 3.91 in my 04 gto back when i had it and it was hands down the best money i ever spent on that thing. (and a single ring/pinion was 800 bucks)
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 12:19 am

apatrizzi wrote:
after this collasal failboat. i figured i should confirm. we need reverse rotation fronts right? I'm on GBRutah now and it looks like my options are either 3.9 or 4.11... at that rate id rather go 4.11.

i made the jump from 3.46 to 3.91 in my 04 gto back when i had it and it was hands down the best money i ever spent on that thing. (and a single ring/pinion was 800 bucks)

You don't need reverse cut fronts it's an after market upgrade. All factory diffs go the same direction. The fronts actually go backwards in a stock diff
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:38 am

apatrizzi wrote:
price was per diff. no the gears were not in diffs, it was gears only. no install kits or anything. and they are for d1 anyway.

Hes out of his mind at that price, hell new Ashcrofts are $350 each and a little better gear in my opinion. D1 an D2 both take the same gear sets and the same diff assembly. The D2 case isx just a little stronger since it has 2 more webs on the pinion housing.

You can also look into regearing the transfer case also, but the down side to that is that the low range doesnt change
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:39 am

Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Hes out of his mind at that price, hell new Ashcrofts are $350 each and a little better gear in my opinion. D1 an D2 both take the same gear sets and the same diff assembly. The D2 case isx just a little stronger since it has 2 more webs on the pinion housing.

You can also look into regearing the transfer case also, but the down side to that is that the low range doesnt change

this may be a good option since i have a new Tcase on the way. Where could i find some more info on this? I've seen toddco sells gears for the Tcase but they look to be ridiculously expensive..?

i've really never been so confused by such a simple concept on any vehicle i've ever owned.
so. i can use any gear set on the LEFT side of this page right? Listed under "rover"
http://gbrutah.com/cs_drivetrain_diff%20gearing.html

and reverse cut gears are not required, but are an upgrade? how would i go about fitting them into the diff? just turn it so the ring gear is on the opposite side?

i dont really even know why im getting so hung up on these gears now. i promised myself id keep this truck "low budget" but i am sure a gear reduction would be kick ass.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 am

If you can find a Defender transfer case they were all 1-1.4 high range ratio over the disco 1-1.2 ratio. Ashcroft carrys the gear sets as well as Toddco I didnt realise they were that mutch more in price. The last time I checked I thought they were in the $400 range, gues with a $600 price tag I would try to find a D90 transfer case or regear the diffs.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:54 am

Reverse cut go in the same way.. The ring and pinion are both cut the opposite way do the gear goes the way it should making it stronger
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 am

The reason for the reverse cut gears is that if you look at the flange on the pinion of the rear axle you turn it clockwise to make it drive forward when you look at the front diff it turns counter clockwise to go forward. LR went cheap and cut both gears the same for easier quiker install on the assembly line. The down fall of the setup is that the front gear set actually drives on the backside of the gears in the front diff instead of the larger stronger drive side like on the rear diff. I wouldnt bother with reverse cut gears with 32" tires and no lockers. If you were to order new gears and the reverse arent anymore I definately put them in.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 11:44 am

Long Haul wrote:
The reason for the reverse cut gears is that if you look at the flange on the pinion of the rear axle you turn it clockwise to make it drive forward when you look at the front diff it turns counter clockwise to go forward. LR went cheap and cut both gears the same for easier quiker install on the assembly line. The down fall of the setup is that the front gear set actually drives on the backside of the gears in the front diff instead of the larger stronger drive side like on the rear diff. I wouldnt bother with reverse cut gears with 32" tires and no lockers. If you were to order new gears and the reverse arent anymore I definately put them in.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH >.. thats really stupid lol.

I wonder if my crazy driveline "thunk" is actually a broken gear in the front...

Funny thing is, GBR is doing a "clearance sale" on reverse cut Ashcroft fronts for $249 or match them to a GBR rear and get both for $500.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm

looks like the 3.90's are the "ideal" combo for my tire size to match RPM. But something tells me i want 4.11s with reverse cut front because it is actually cheaper and will give a little more grunt.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 6:03 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
looks like the 3.90's are the "ideal" combo for my tire size to match RPM. But something tells me i want 4.11s with reverse cut front because it is actually cheaper and will give a little more grunt.

I dont blame ya for wanting 4:11 over the 3:90 since its not a highway truck. I'm actualy debating on 4:56 or even lower if I ever swap gears in mine again, but they wont be rover axles when I do that afro
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

I dont blame ya for wanting 4:11 over the 3:90 since its not a highway truck. I'm actualy debating on 4:56 or even lower if I ever swap gears in mine again, but they wont be rover axles when I do that afro

what are your rpms like at 65ish with your 4.37's and 33s? reports over on landroversonly are about 22-2400rpm with 4.11 and 265s but some of the guys over there are sketchy...
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:13 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

what are your rpms like at 65ish with your 4.37's and 33s? reports over on landroversonly are about 22-2400rpm with 4.11 and 265s but some of the guys over there are sketchy...

Its around 2600-2700. Low range 30 mph its 4000 lol
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

I didnt know that guys on landroversonly ran 4:11's? lol
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Toyota time??? If you're gonna spend the $$ might as well start shopping for portals
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

discomike runs 4.14s or something. he was such a total dick when i described my front end probem over there. he may or may not know his shit, but being such a jaggoff about things like they're the end of the world is really offputing.

i have yet to really need low range more than twice, but 30mph seems pretty fast for "low" am i wrong? im a newbie to the rover game, and to serious off roading beyond giant mud pits really. so i'm all ears.

Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

discomike runs 4.14s or something. he was such a total dick when i described my front end probem over there. he may or may not know his shit, but being such a jaggoff about things like they're the end of the world is really offputing.

i have yet to really need low range more than twice, but 30mph seems pretty fast for "low" am i wrong? im a newbie to the rover game, and to serious off roading beyond giant mud pits really. so i'm all ears.

Discomike is a douche bag. He has a lot of opinion and has been around rovers for a while but he was a service manager not a tech. I get annoyed when he posts reply's on my stuff asking why I am doing this or that I need this to do that like he thinks he knows all the "secrets". This is why I mostly hang out on Dweb and here unless I am looking for parts.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Jake wrote:
Long Haul wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Toyota time??? If you're gonna spend the $$ might as well start shopping for portals

Spider9 nuff said
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?   4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4.11:1 GBR Gears ... input?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: