Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Front driveshaft

Go down 
+3
Long Haul
apatrizzi
jveen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 2:29 pm

So me and Jake went to rebuild my front drive shaft and this what I have a 2 foot long paper weight and a clang when I get on and off the gas. looking for any ideas to what it could be.

Front driveshaft  72157628066826515
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 3:02 pm

jveen wrote:
So me and Jake went to rebuild my front drive shaft and this what I have a 2 foot long paper weight and a clang when I get on and off the gas. looking for any ideas to what it could be.

Front driveshaft  72157628066826515

pic no work. heres pic for you.

Front driveshaft  6370183589_166361fb01
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 3:05 pm

That yoke looks bent? Time for a new driveshaft sorry to say.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I already got a hold of Randy I just can't figure out what the clang is
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Does it still make noises without the frint driveshaft in?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 6:20 pm

already posted over on LRF, get under and check the rear for excessive rotational play. also check the rotoflex isnt cracked. you should be ok with the cdl locked just don't slam the gas hard from a stop or anything.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Could be slack in either the transfer case or the rear end. Change the oil in both. Having the front in could have been absorbing some of it.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 7:19 pm

[quote="apatrizzi"]
jveen wrote:

I've seen driveshafts do some funky shit in my time but I've never seen an ear bend like that.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 7:59 pm

[quote="devildog01"]
apatrizzi wrote:
jveen wrote:

I've seen driveshafts do some funky shit in my time but I've never seen an ear bend like that.

Yea thats what I said. I knew something was fishy when only the front UJ had been replaced. I started pressing it out with the harbor freight tool and it didnt want to budge. I'm curious to the story behind that too.. I guess it's lucky we caught it before we got too far with it.. Glad I started on that end too.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
devildog01

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

jveen wrote:
I already got a hold of Randy I just can't figure out what the clang is
Dude I don't know shit but I know this don't fuck around with your driveshaft.FWIW get a stock shaft from Randy take it to a driveline shop and get it rebuilt.Make sure they put the "american" precision trunnions in.I paid $150 to have my old shaft rebuilt at the local shop and that was well worth it.I am a diy guy but theres some shit I'd rather pay to get done right.Do the math.Used shaft $!00 rebuild by pro $150ish total $250 to 300. Shaft goes and takes out transfer and or tranny way more than $300. Just my .02.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:45 pm

1 vote for Tom Woods shaft with flush grease fitting for centering ball and 1310 U joints.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I bet someone landed on a big rock on that yoke. Usually itll bend the shaft first. Makes me want to build a pinion gaurd for my diffs after seeing this.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:30 pm

@ Longhaul the clang started after I pulled the front D.S.
@ devildog01 I tried to find one and couldn't find one close the nearest one i seen in Muhenburg
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 pm

jveen wrote:
@ devildog01 I tried to find one and couldn't find one close the nearest one i seen in Muhenburg

Change your diff oil too while you're at it. See if you have any metal shavings anywhere. I bet it has something to do with the backlash of your front diff with the drive shaft not being attached. Like everbody else said as long as you didnt drive like a maniac driving with your front shaft out and cdl locked wont cause any issues.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Quote :
jveen wrote:

Change your diff oil too while you're at it. See if you have any metal shavings anywhere. I bet it has something to do with the backlash of your front diff with the drive shaft not being attached. Like everbody else said as long as you didnt drive like a maniac driving with your front shaft out and cdl locked wont cause any issues.

I picked up some gear oil tonight, And I pissed alot of people off I did 5mph under all the way home.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
devildog01

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:54 pm

If your in a pinch just order tom woods. If you don't need it rite away my guy can do it in a day.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Quote :
If your in a pinch just order tom woods. If you don't need it rite away my guy can do it in a day.

I have off this week so I don't need it right away. What does he charge, and were is he? I am in Pottsville.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 11:47 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :

I have off this week so I don't need it right away. What does he charge, and were is he? I am in Pottsville.

Last tom woods shaft I bought was $350 shipped and took about 4 days to receive it http://www.4xshaft.com/

Buds spring in Lancaster makes shafts and theres a place in Harrisburg that makes them too I just forget there name.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm

I just picked up a D2 core from Rover Bones and getting it rebuilt. I just crawled out from underneath my truck I am not getting any play from the rear D.S. and the Rotoflex looks good but I did notice a oil leak from the rear diff on the front side from were the D.S. goes in.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:36 pm

***Was going to change fluid but can't find 1/2' breaker bar and ran out of light.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm

jveen wrote:
I just picked up a D2 core from Rover Bones and getting it rebuilt. I just crawled out from underneath my truck I am not getting any play from the rear D.S. and the Rotoflex looks good but I did notice a oil leak from the rear diff on the front side from were the D.S. goes in.

Thats your pinion oil seal. They go bad with time, I actually just replaced on on the front of my truck. diff was leaking pretty bad. If you go to your front diff and turn the pinion flange back and forth you will hear what I suspect is your clunk.

ALSO when I went to drop my shaft to grease it and change the seal all of the pinion side bolts were loos and a couple of the t case bolts were loose. I reccomend replacing your nylock nuts on an application like drive shafts and other important potentially harmful areas of your truck and slap some 242 loctite (blue) on the threads.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 pm

[/quote]jveen wrote:

Thats your pinion oil seal. They go bad with time, I actually just replaced on on the front of my truck. diff was leaking pretty bad. If you go to your front diff and turn the pinion flange back and forth you will hear what I suspect is your clunk.

ALSO when I went to drop my shaft to grease it and change the seal all of the pinion side bolts were loos and a couple of the t case bolts were loose. I reccomend replacing your nylock nuts on an application like drive shafts and other important potentially harmful areas of your truck and slap some 242 loctite (blue) on the threads.[quote]

Is it hard to put a new one in?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 pm

jveen wrote:
jveen wrote:

ALSO when I went to drop my shaft to grease it and change the seal all of the pinion side bolts were loos and a couple of the t case bolts were loose. I reccomend replacing your nylock nuts on an application like drive shafts and other important potentially harmful areas of your truck and slap some 242 loctite (blue) on the threads.
Quote :

Is it hard to put a new one in?

With a roto flex rear shaft - yes it's more difficult. You have to get the centering pin out and get that nut off to pull the flange. Then you're gonna need a pry bar to get the old seal out it can be a bitch. Discoweb tech has a section about a rotoflex conversion and they show taking out the old seal and replacing it.

Check your axle breather hose too - it might be clogged. Just do a quick forum search and you'll be able to find all the info you need.

New nylocs on mcmaster carr are $3 for like 20 of them.. it's a 3/8 x 24
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 7:02 pm

I just replaced the oil in the T-case and that turned into one of my d.i.y. fiascoes I think i am done doing anything but changing the engine oil. If I don't post for a while that mean D.E.P. arrested me Exxon Valdez like oil spill.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
devildog01

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Thats called recycling.You are now "eco-friendly"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front driveshaft  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front driveshaft    Front driveshaft  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front driveshaft
Page 1 of 1