Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

how to verify that CDL works ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

how to verify that CDL works ?  Empty
PostSubject: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 2:50 pm

My new tcase is here, it has a nipple. and for my own amusement i've been playing with it a little bit. but i noticed with the nipple engaged and disengaged it seems to operate in the same manner ? i turn the front output, the rear spins the opposite, if i grab the rear and turn the front, i can keep it from spinning easily, and visa-versa.

It just dawned on me that the case may be in Neutral so i'll try and shift it one way or the other in a minute, but while im here, is there any way to check this out before it goes in the truck ?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 3:13 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
My new tcase is here, it has a nipple. and for my own amusement i've been playing with it a little bit. but i noticed with the nipple engaged and disengaged it seems to operate in the same manner ? i turn the front output, the rear spins the opposite, if i grab the rear and turn the front, i can keep it from spinning easily, and visa-versa.

It just dawned on me that the case may be in Neutral so i'll try and shift it one way or the other in a minute, but while im here, is there any way to check this out before it goes in the truck ?

So you stop one side the other keeps spinning? Is the trans input moving?
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

edit. nevermind, i just had to turn tweak the nipple a little further. it works great now... WOOT!

now i just have to PM hilltoppersx about his CDL Linkage write up i found here
http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/my-cheap-d2-cdl-install-39541/

i thought my head was going to explode reading it the first time. looks like a decent option to the $400 ashcroft.
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:25 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

edit. nevermind, i just had to turn tweak the nipple a little further. it works great now... WOOT!

i thought my head was going to explode reading it the first time. looks like a decent option to the $400 ashcroft.

Ed's fix? You mean the one with the vise grips and a screwdriver and you have to rock the truck back and forth mod. I mean, its economical and all, but man what a pain in arse. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 pm

tell you what. I need to install mine as well. Any interest in a shop day and we could knock them both out? If we could find a place with a lift two people can probably do this pretty quickly (that TC is a heavy mo-fo).
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 12:04 pm

DocFodge wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Ed's fix? You mean the one with the vise grips and a screwdriver and you have to rock the truck back and forth mod. I mean, its economical and all, but man what a pain in arse. Very Happy

hey my CDL works great! it's the hi-lo i had a problem with... and now i know the reason. the stupid transfer neutral switch is a piece of crap. it was made for morons by morons and now screws the brilliant minds like mind. going to take it out and bash it with a hammer then reinstall it. should be good 2 go.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 am

DocFodge wrote:
tell you what. I need to install mine as well. Any interest in a shop day and we could knock them both out? If we could find a place with a lift two people can probably do this pretty quickly (that TC is a heavy mo-fo).

my new case is going in this week. a close friend has a shop with a lift. its not free but its a great value for me.

i'm looking to get the GBR linkage for christmas, in the off chance i dont get it, i'll probably just get D1 linkage.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 am

The hardest part of the d1 linkage is the dog leg bend
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:

yeah thats what i hear. I'm not too keen on taking the whole center console out either, which is why i'm leaning towards the GBR unit that costs nearly twice as much. just seems easier.

I like your design and was thinking about a possible "mod" to it. instead of having a big handle sticking out, just try to find an extension that is the PERFECT length and not use a "knob" but leave the square drive on, and when you want to engage/disengage cdl pull an extra ratchet out of the console and engage.

Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 am

apatrizzi wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:

yeah thats what i hear. I'm not too keen on taking the whole center console out either, which is why i'm leaning towards the GBR unit that costs nearly twice as much. just seems easier.

I like your design and was thinking about a possible "mod" to it. instead of having a big handle sticking out, just try to find an extension that is the PERFECT length and not use a "knob" but leave the square drive on, and when you want to engage/disengage cdl pull an extra ratchet out of the console and engage.

thats xactly how mine is now. I keep a 1/2" drive ratchet in my console.

When you take the console out replace the rivets with sheet metal screws.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:

thats xactly how mine is now. I keep a 1/2" drive ratchet in my console.

When you take the console out replace the rivets with sheet metal screws.

can you show me a pic of your console ?
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Quote :

Yea I broke my 1st on and had to run to another salvage yard and grab one off a truck. I tried to bend it with a steel pipe (the 1st time) to get leverage and snapped it at the threads. The 2nd one I ran to harbor freight and grabbed a cheap vise and used a couple hammers to bend it. All and all it cost me at the most $75, $5 for the CDL linkage cheers itself the rest was for the dremel to cut the trans cover and the vise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to verify that CDL works ?    how to verify that CDL works ?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to verify that CDL works ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: