Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Watch your winch rope

Go down 
+2
Jake
DanC
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DanC
Guy Who Knows Shit

Watch your winch rope Empty
PostSubject: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 am

I was winching an RRC out of a ditch about 30 feet below my truck.
I was running the winch from my in cab switch and did not notice the rope all building up on one end of the drum.
The rope buildup forced the cross bars of the winch out and broke the tabs of the end plates.

It is my fault for not paying attention to the rope.

He is going to buy the replacement parts, not too bad only $150.
Now I have the joy of taking the winch and bumper off to rebuild the winch again.

Watch your winch rope DSCN1136

Dan
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 am

Ouch, that sucks... I can hear my winch binding with my cable from the cab. Another benefit of cable winch line
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:23 am

Jake wrote:
Ouch, that sucks... I can hear my winch binding with my cable from the cab. Another benefit of cable winch line

i second the binding noise, its some scary shit when you hear that.

i went synthetic because its easier to throw out to people in the middle of a lake, and the rope floats, and it doesnt wreck your hands holding it, and it weighs less... and looks cool. and wont kill me if it snaps.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:31 am

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:

i went synthetic because its easier to throw out to people in the middle of a lake, and the rope floats, and it doesnt wreck your hands holding it, and it weighs less... and looks cool. and wont kill me if it snaps.

It can still kill you. Never under estimate the power of the rope..
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:38 am

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:

possible but far less likely. i still dont stand too close even to synthetic ropes.

it blows my mind sometimes seeing people stand barely 3 feet from a steel cable under max tension.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 am

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:

possible but far less likely. i still dont stand too close even to synthetic ropes.

it blows my mind sometimes seeing people stand barely 3 feet from a steel cable under max tension.

I agree. I know synthentic ropes are supposed to be safe and drop when they snap. Regardless what it's made of and being under that much tension I would shit myself if it broke.
Back to top Go down
DanC
Guy Who Knows Shit

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I have broken the synthetic rope twice.
Both times it just snaked back along its path, but recoiled at least 20 feet.
Both times it broke right at the end, where it was attached.

I have broken 1 steel cable, it snapped in the middle between the winch and tree.
There was a chain wrapped around the cable as a damper.
The end with the chain fell straight down.
The free end whipped to the side and hit a tree.

I think the steel cable has more memory and is more likely to whip to the side.
The rope does recoil, but always seems to fall straight down.
Being able to re-splice a new end onto the rope in the field is a big advantage.

Dan
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 5:39 pm

DanC wrote:

Being able to re-splice a new end onto the rope in the field is a big advantage.

Dan
That is huge advantage.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

devildog01 wrote:
DanC wrote:

Dan
That is huge advantage.

Ill just have somebody else pull me out Smile
Back to top Go down
dschramm
3 Amigos Detective
dschramm

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 6:35 pm

ouch,that hurts.good luck rebuilding the winch and getting it all back together
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 am

Jake wrote:
devildog01 wrote:
DanC wrote:

Dan
That is huge advantage.

Ill just have somebody else pull me out Smile

I'm not pulling that a$$hole out (unless he asks of course). I have cable so I am saying with it. I would probably get another cable though. Yes, it is dangerous. But, get the hell out of the way. Ropes are much more prone to damage if rubbing on something in the path.

No argument here. You prefer what you prefer. I'll be pulling with cable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watch your winch rope   Watch your winch rope I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Watch your winch rope
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: