Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Engine swap party!!

Go down 
+2
devildog01
Jake
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Engine swap party!! Empty
PostSubject: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Well at least for those not going to the pines... I am going to pick up an 88k 4.0L from Joel off Dweb. Should be here beginning of January. I should have the current engine ready to pull here shortly then I'll just need to round up a hoist from Dave and away we go.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Is that more like a wife swap or a circle jerk?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:23 pm

devildog01 wrote:
Is that more like a wife swap or a circle jerk?

Depends if you're bringing your wife or not
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 pm

might as well do the head gaskets before you put it in....
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Let the games begin!!

Engine swap party!! Img_1010

Got quiet a bit done today and only broke a wire on the oil temp sensor.. now I just have to do the stuff that sucks. the starter wires DAMN those heat shields, the 14 bolts that hold the engine on the trans and a couple little sensors here and there.

I might be making it to the snow and sand trip at this rate but dont want to jinx it just yet.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
might as well do the head gaskets before you put it in....

Eh might as well wait until I need to do them, engine has 88k - My truck has 105k and head gaskets were fine and not replaced that I know of. Not a bad idea though just dont want to spend the extra $$ on the gaskets and heads and valve job. Even though Joel gave me a good price on it for being such a low milage engine it wasnt free.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 pm

oh and even though it was extremely comfortable in the garage at about 50 degrees I have a feeling it's about to start getting way cold.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm at 170xxx on original head gaskets on the green truck, but it is a hell of a lot easier doing them on a stand vs doing them in the truck. Personally I would change them since the motors out but thats just me.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Long Haul wrote:
I'm at 170xxx on original head gaskets on the green truck, but it is a hell of a lot easier doing them on a stand vs doing them in the truck. Personally I would change them since the motors out but thats just me.

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaa I know..... It's also a lot easier doing them when you can feel your fingers too lol If I am going to rebuild this 4.0 as a 4.6 and swap it in anyways I dont see the need. Honestly I feel like I will be on my second truck build by the time this thing actually needs head gaskets and at that point I will just drive it off a cliff. I feel like why fix it if it isnt broken.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 am

Jake wrote:
Long Haul wrote:

yeeeeeeaaaaaaaa I know..... It's also a lot easier doing them when you can feel your fingers too lol If I am going to rebuild this 4.0 as a 4.6 and swap it in anyways I dont see the need. Honestly I feel like I will be on my second truck build by the time this thing actually needs head gaskets and at that point I will just drive it off a cliff. I feel like why fix it if it isnt broken.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30000-btu-tank-top-propane-heater-67856.html

do the HG's....
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 10:58 am

It doesnt allow me to reply using the pic , but I was told that you get extra power by cutting those trumpets a bit ,any truth to that??
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 am

Cris_A wrote:
It doesnt allow me to reply using the pic , but I was told that you get extra power by cutting those trumpets a bit ,any truth to that??

I have heard that before also......... Not sure if its true or not.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 am

Talking about plenums being shorter and wider? more air = more power.. of course you have to make fuel adjustments and valve adjustments but check out this link.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/138.html
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Nice set up , but how about if you hack off a few inches of the stock plenum stacks will you see any difference ??
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Cris_A wrote:

Nice set up , but how about if you hack off a few inches of the stock plenum stacks will you see any difference ??

Nothing worth going through the trouble.. Only way to get significantly more power is a 4.6 and they have just played more with how it breathes to give it even more power.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
\
http://www.harborfreight.com/30000-btu-tank-top-propane-heater-67856.html

do the HG's....

I bought one of these when I did my head gaskets.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15000-btu-tank-top-propane-heater-67857.html

I may bring it to sand and snow, to get the leanto warming while the fire comes up.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 4:32 pm

yeah i remember you had it in April in the Pines they work pretty damn good.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:52 pm

I was thinking something more like this for the cabin http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200443886_200443886
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Well back on topic... Very Happy

Today I pulled all the bell housing bolts (I think I got all of them) which isnt fun at all... took down the Y pipe for more working room and I might get new cats while it's out. took the starter wires off.. but I think I forgot the ground now that I think about it.. unbolted the engine mounts.. Now I just have to pull pull a couple sensors and I should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine swap party!!   Engine swap party!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine swap party!!
Page 1 of 1