Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Radio install question

Go down 
+2
jveen
Cris_A
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

Radio install question  Empty
PostSubject: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Ok I got my old D1 radio out using the special tool ( aka my drill) unplug the old wire harness and look at my new radio and dont even look the same at all , is this what I need ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANDROVER-Radio-WIRE-HARNESS-INSTALL-STEREO-PLUG-94-99-/380334560644?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ADiscovery&vxp=mtr&hash=item588db4d584

not sure if I should try this my self or give in to a stereo shop, any way around it? help will be appreciated
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:40 pm

I'v been weighing upgrading my stock system because I don't know what waits be hind the dash.

I found this thru my forum searching I think it is the same as what you have posted.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-1786

It looks like it plug and play.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:23 pm

yeah, but why would you want to integrate the amp? If you got an aftermarket head unit it'll be a powered head unit, you wont need that stupid amp. Im getting a head unit for xmas, and im just going to run new speaker wre to the doors and forget about the amp all together
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 pm

I would just go the stereo shop route.If the stereo wiring is anything like the rest of the wiring in a disco it will make you crazy.
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 am

got to pass by a radio shop and ask about the install price
Back to top Go down
LockenDIFF
The Man with the Tan
LockenDIFF

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 4:28 am

Yes bypass the amp, I have a harness and a radio which both are sitting here since I got so much alternator whine from the speakers when I installed it. I had 3 grounds and still sucked ass. Just run new speaker wire from the head unit, Its not hard.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 am

Boom. Lawyered. Guess what else is going in with my stereo when I get it for Xmas?

Radio install question  F5ec0bff

I need to figure out what to upholster it in. I has enough leftover camo from my headliner but I think my awesome wife threw it out. So I need a new plan. I can't fucking wait for Xmas. I think it's bringing a snorkel and maybe +2" brake lines. Too bad Santa can't put air in my tires Sad
Back to top Go down
jordanpryce
Still New Guy
jordanpryce

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I got my new head unit from Crutchfield. They supply the wiring adapter if needed and free of charge and it's a piece of cake to install. 30 minute installation. I got a Parrot Asteroid and it didn't even need the adapter. Just plugged right in.

Radio install question  IMAGE_204578E3-E827-4C6D-9860-075B49E58326
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Crutchfield was trying to tell me i needed the amp inclusion adapter and that it was 18$, but i told the dude it didnt matter, i was bypassing the amp anyway, so i asked for a regular harness hookup. I'll figure it out when i get in there, but im assuming if i'm taking out the amp i'll need to splice and solder into the harness for all the speakers, the antenna, the remote wire, the constant hot, essentially everything i guess
Back to top Go down
jordanpryce
Still New Guy
jordanpryce

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I doubt it. The antenna, and most of the wiring will just plug into the head. I think there is a sub harness for the amp. Pull out the glovebox and check.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:18 pm

yeah but i fi use the existing speaker connections that run through the harness in the truck, that'll route the wires through the LR amp, which i dont want, he needs to come out of the loop somehow. Thats why i figured i'd just splice and run new wire.
Back to top Go down
jordanpryce
Still New Guy
jordanpryce

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:33 pm

It might be easier to replace the amp with a better one... My disco didn't have the amp, so it was plug and play.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm

I have an amp for the sub im going to install but that wont power the speakers, im going to let the buil in amp in the head unit drive them, and later down the road if i want to add speakers onto the back door again i'll just un-bridge the amp for the sub and split the power to the two speakers and the sub in the back. Bingo. Bango. Much like everything else on my truck.....super easy on paper, now i just need the moeny for the execution
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 pm

whats so bad about the LR amp? Im not a person that cares too much about sound ,the reason Im changing with a basic cd player Sony radio is because the lcd screen in the Lr radio went blank , I really want to do the least amount of work as possible , my radio came with a harness a single plug the LR has 3 harnesses plus a few plugs that antenna plug looks different too I just don't see how its a plug and play .
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:55 pm

The issue is because you'd essentially be "double-amping" (it's a word, look it up) your speakers, the stereo has it's own power, then you'd route to the amp where it'd get more power on top of that (this isn't the awesome double power where you're shit is extra loud and crisp) what you end up getting is a lot of alternator interference whine and no sound, like really bad signal to noise, because of the double amplification. THats why you have to take it out. Comprende?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio install question    Radio install question  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio install question
Page 1 of 1