Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders Empty
PostSubject: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Spare tire mount for 35"+ tires

Cut for wiper arm and redrill new lower holes moved it up probably 4-5"

Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders Img1679r

Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders Img1680rt

Since I cant afford all the air bump stops I went with progressive poly bumps and used a piece of 1.5"x 3" to space it down. These are the bump stops I posted earlier.

Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders Img1678g

That is all
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 pm

I would use a piece of flat or angle steel, and tie that third bolt in. I would go with a minimum of 1the inch flat steel, at least 1/8th of an inch thick.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
I would use a piece of flat or angle steel, and tie that third bolt in. I would go with a minimum of 1the inch flat steel, at least 1/8th of an inch thick.

I may when I get my welder. I was worried about how sturdy it was going to be at first. I put the tire on there did the shake test and it was surprisingly rigid.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 8:22 pm

That just seems like a bad idea. It i was going to do that, maybe just get rid of the wiper arm, instead of cutting out metal. That is just stanped and formed sheetmetal, id be worried about the stresses of the constant weight, and driving down the road with that much metal removed, and only 4the bolts.

I was considering modifying mine. I saw someone on another forum had cut theirs, and used 2 pieces of square tubing to space the carrier out and up, and then welded it back together.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
That just seems like a bad idea. It i was going to do that, maybe just get rid of the wiper arm, instead of cutting out metal. That is just stanped and formed sheetmetal, id be worried about the stresses of the constant weight, and driving down the road with that much metal removed, and only 4the bolts.

I was considering modifying mine. I saw someone on another forum had cut theirs, and used 2 pieces of square tubing to space the carrier out and up, and then welded it back together.

I'm willing to bet i could stand on it not bend it, before the hinges anyway. It's still decently thick stamped sheet metal. Connecting in 4 grade 8 bolts it's not going anywhere.

Edit yes it can hold my weight on top of it too. I'm sure it will be fine
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:18 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
http://www.LRRForums.com/showthread.php?16899-Spare-tire-mount-extend-and-raise-mod

Check that out.

If I had a welder right now that's how it would look.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Even if that thing holds your hinges are fucked.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Even if that thing holds your hinges are fucked.

It's just for the trails and until I get a bumper from Denny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders   Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ghetto Fab spare mount and bump stop extenders
Page 1 of 1