Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Reservoir cap going bad?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

Reservoir cap going bad?  Empty
PostSubject: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Okay so I changed my thermostat on Saturday (had the truck spike to 221F at the car wash) and the truck now does not go above 204/206 in traffic however when I popped the hood today just to make sure the fluid level was okay and the reservoir looked almost empty! I shat myself and quickly killed the engine (still sitting around 204 idling) then as I was carefully opening the cap there was a release of pressure and the fluid level started coming back up. This to me is weird, so is it the cap or do I have air pockets in my system (can't hear gurgling behind the dash).
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:32 pm

If I were you I'd top it up and drive it. It's probably just because it's pressurized which means your cap is working. This is why its suggested to check level while cold. It will overheat if it's not bled correctly. It probably did this before but you never realized it since you werent looking Wink
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm

Just do the inline t-stat mod and never look back.There's nothing like running at a steady 184deg all the time.By far the best money spent on my D2.
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:10 pm

devildog01 wrote:
Just do the inline t-stat mod and never look back.There's nothing like running at a steady 184deg all the time.By far the best money spent on my D2.

It is on my list of things to do (probably do it after the Pines), but as of right now I have a snorkel on the way so that is next on the list. cheers

Is it true that it negatively affects MPG?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Thebloody323 wrote:
devildog01 wrote:

It is on my list of things to do (probably do it after the Pines), but as of right now I have a snorkel on the way so that is next on the list. cheers

Is it true that it negatively affects MPG?

Thats an interesting question... I would say no if anything I'd imagine it takes in more air and would improve detonation.. I need to order the piece I need to reconnect mine...
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 pm

my mpg sucked before the snorkel and after. stuck around 11mpg.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reservoir cap going bad?    Reservoir cap going bad?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reservoir cap going bad?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: