Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My D.I.Y. Head job

Go down 
+6
DiscoSux
Thebloody323
DanC
durt d1ver
Jake
jveen
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 1:21 pm

so far today I got the right valve cover off. But the left is kicking my ass I cant get the heater core hoses of i un-clamped them but the wont budge any tips to getting them off other than cutting them off ?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 1:44 pm

jveen wrote:
so far today I got the right valve cover off. But the left is kicking my ass I cant get the heater core hoses of i un-clamped them but the wont budge any tips to getting them off other than cutting them off ?

Take a flat head and use it to break the seal from the hose to metal. Then it should pull off..
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Got the valve covers off along with the alternator and a.c. Left the fan on cause I don't have the tool to remove it. RAVE and this guys site (http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/engine-refresh/) have made the tear down pretty painless so far

The end result of today's work.
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 40357010
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 7:13 pm

some more pix.
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 2012-017

My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 2012-018

The only damage so far a piece broke off when i was trying to persuade it from the front bracket with a hammer or course fell in to the coolant pipe to the top of the engine.
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 2012-019
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 12:28 am

Just ordered Will's head kit. hopefully I'll have it up and running next week.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Hit a snag I tried to get the PAS pulley off but it rotates every time I go to turn the wrench. And I still have yet to hear back from Will I pay-paled him Thursday night and haven't got an email back.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Iirc, i wrapped the belt around the pulley, and held it to get one bolt loose, and then stuck a screwdriver in the hole, and jammed it against the block in order to get the others off.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:15 pm

jveen wrote:
Hit a snag I tried to get the PAS pulley off but it rotates every time I go to turn the wrench. And I still have yet to hear back from Will I pay-paled him Thursday night and haven't got an email back.

You shouldnt have to take the pulley off.. Atleast you dont have to with a D1 just get a ratcheting box end wrench.

Call Will, sometimes the machine shop takes a while to ship them out I know the pair Richard ordered took a bit.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Quote :

You shouldnt have to take the pulley off.. Atleast you dont have to with a D1 just get a ratcheting box end wrench.

Call Will, sometimes the machine shop takes a while to ship them out I know the pair Richard ordered took a bit

I have to take it off to get the bracket off to the driver side head.And for Will when I emailed him he said he had it in stock ready to ship I'll call him tomorrow
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 8:24 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :

Call Will, sometimes the machine shop takes a while to ship them out I know the pair Richard ordered took a bit

I have to take it off to get the bracket off to the driver side head.And for Will when I emailed him he said he had it in stock ready to ship I'll call him tomorrow

Loctite wouldn't be seeping since it would be dried.. Thats weird
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
Brake Light Switch Repairman
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Jake wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
Jake wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
DocFodge wrote:
couldn't find any hoses underneath the engine. both coolant inlet and outlet hoses are side by side on the top of the engine compartment (passenger side). they are dry as a bone. the more i research the more i think that if the valley pan gasket failed I could get a fair amount of discharge. But i'm telling you, it was at least a gallon or more that came POURING out. I'm going to fill it up and run it this weekend to see if I can see where its pissing fluid from. i did double check the oil - it is as clean as new oil should be (I had just changed it). throttle body heater gasket looked good. its very 'wet' looking on the passenger side rear of the engine.

Doc - did you check the freeze out plugs in the block? Once you put water in it, hopefully it will be obvious.

Good call Kase - freeze plugs or heater core. You should pick up some coolant tracer dye - that will tell you where it's coming from.

If its spraying out by the gallon, die will not be needed me thinks! Heater Core would puke on the carpet...

Yea but if everything is still wet and he cant see where it's coming from...

Finally got a break this weekend to check it out. Filled the system full of water and cranked her up. Steady flow of water found coming from the drivers side head. It's conclusive.... need to take the heads out... ughhh
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Got a Delivery from Will today.
Heads
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 52581710

Were do all these go? there is a shit load of them
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 40497410

Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 10:52 pm

any lines that have rubber fittings. Oil cooler lines etc.

Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Quote :

Do you have to replace them?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:29 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :

Do you have to replace them?

Do you have to change your oil?
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:01 am

jveen wrote:
Got a Delivery from Will today.
Heads

Were do all these go? there is a shit load of them
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 40497410

The o-rings are too fat for the oil lines. All that shit comes in the head gasket kit. I didn't use most of them. There may be a thermostat gasket, the o-rings may be for the injectors. Wil probably just dumped in what was in the head gasket kit.

Get in gear boy, we got us some events!
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:08 am

Yea probably injector o rings looking at it on my phone and only saw 8 so figured they were oil cooler lines.. Tstats on d2s don't have gaskets Dave.. Rookie
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:10 am

Jake wrote:
Yea probably injector o rings looking at it on my phone and only saw 8 so figured they were oil cooler lines.. Tstats on d2s don't have gaskets Dave.. Rookie

Rookies have D2's...
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:18 am

there more than what is in the pic I have a bag full of them. So far in RAVE I ran across 2 or 3 places were it said discard the o-ring.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:22 am

jveen wrote:
there more than what is in the pic I have a bag full of them. So far in RAVE I ran across 2 or 3 places were it said discard the o-ring.

Do you actually understand the gibberish in that book? I thnk by discard they mean replace
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 8:28 am

jveen wrote:

As a rule, you always replace an o-ring when you take a joint apart. It you take something apart with an o-ring, see if you have a new one that fits.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Finally got the power steering pump pulley off Here are some pics of the red stuff I had in an earlier post, and what appears to be blue thread locker. Tomorrow starts the fun stuff with pulling the heads. Quick question do I have to unbolt the exhaust manifolds from the exhaust pipe or do I just unbolt it from the heads and let the manifolds hang?

Here is alittle of the red seepage.
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 57935710

The bolt itself.
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 54109410

Blue thread locker on the PSP pulley bolt. Does the factory do this
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 52854010
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 8:57 pm

I just inbolted the exhaust manifolds from the heads and let them hang
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Quote :
I just inbolted the exhaust manifolds from the heads and let them hang

Cool this guy's diy page i am using he has them being unbolted along with the steering shaft
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Here is today's progress. Fucker finally drew blood. Now to enjoy A.B.C. Mountain Lager

My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 2012-020
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My D.I.Y. Head job
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next