Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tray back Disco build

Go down 
+8
apatrizzi
DiscoSux
airbornrover
devildog01
Hilltoppersx
Thebloody323
Turf
Jake
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Tray back Disco build - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
I would just stick with the disco trayback. Put all the good from the white truck on it. Build a cage be done.

x2

One of the FPLRG guys just imported a 200tdi 110, has it fixed up, titled, and ready to roll. All told he'll have less than 8k in the truck including, shipping, taxes, and fees. Come to the Wilds? He'll have it there...
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 8:59 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:

x2

One of the FPLRG guys just imported a 200tdi 110, has it fixed up, titled, and ready to roll. All told he'll have less than 8k in the truck including, shipping, taxes, and fees. Come to the Wilds? He'll have it there...

Only 8k? How did he pull that off?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:01 pm

8k sounds about right. 5k will get you a very nice 86 defender. 3k shipping , taxes and fees
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:01 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
I would just stick with the disco trayback. Put all the good from the white truck on it. Build a cage be done.

x2

Yea Tony Brooks in nova has a 90 pick up with km2s and has 7k in it. Which is why it doesn't make sense to spend 10k and 10 years to piece one together
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Going to pick up the 1x1 to frame the cab with. Will hopefully have some good update pics this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Well we are now offically into the "building" stage.. Picked up the 1x1 and started welding pieces into place. The only part I am unsure of is how I am going to get the rear doors completely sealed. Looks like I can bend the lip out and weld it in but I am not sure this is going to work for the whole door. May have to fiberglass part of it when its getting closer to finished.

Got the upper cross member in.. welded a piece in flush with the door panel on the passanger side.. Still need to figure out how I am going to do some parts of the rear panel but we're slowly making progress. Hopefully I will be able to get a ton done this weekend.

Pic of progress
Tray back Disco build - Page 4 Cross_10
Back to top Go down
airbornrover
ABS Modulator Fondler

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 7:53 pm

What about using some steel rods to fill into the gap and just weld to that?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 8:10 pm

OK Here's the plan..

Here you can see the box section I welded in. You can also see where I plan to weld another piece of box section and how it is going to all be connected.
Tray back Disco build - Page 4 Door210

Then where the door seal used to be I am going to bend over the piece of sheet and weld it to the bottom of the door and then whatever gap is left I will just fiberglass over it.

Here's the gap now without the piece bent over..

Tray back Disco build - Page 4 Door110

I am also going to JB weld/epoxy that brace back onto the door and will try to get rivets thru it when I put the sheet metal on.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 9:35 am

you should just buy that rockware buggy.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:49 am

durt d1ver wrote:
you should just buy that rockware buggy.

Yea I just saw that.... If I had 7k to blow i'd have a tow rig instead..
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Got some more done - doors are welded into place. welded tube to the top of each door and then braced it across. Now I just need to weld in two angled pieces to finish off where the window used to be. It's going to be angled toward the front and center of the truck.. It's going to be tricky to get it just right. Since I still have a shit ton of this 1x1 left over even after doing that I am going to probably brace it to the floor and then between the two cross members that are in place now.

The worst part was trying to weld the tube to the top of the door since the skin is aluminum but the inner part I believe is steel. If it isnt oh well cause it's all going to be sheet metaled and riveted together later on.. But also filling the gap between door and door frame especially towards the top..

Tray back Disco build - Page 4 Photo313

Tray back Disco build - Page 4 Photo314

hopefully it doesnt rain this weekend and I can get a lot more done. It was hot today under all those clothes..
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I got an idea. Instead of A trayback put a second engine back there!
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
I got an idea. Instead of A trayback put a second engine back there!

Thats the worst idea I have ever heard. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Its the easiest way to even out the weight and u already have the engine
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Its the easiest way to even out the weight and u already have the engine

I dont have that old engine anymore - I traded it to Brian for shocks and other goodies.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:21 am

Well f-it I think I am going to scrap this POS - I will have the engine and drive line for sale and maybe some other stuff.. I'm just getting bored of it and there is so much more damn work to do on it. blah
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 11:38 am

Pussy.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 4:48 pm

devildog01 wrote:
Pussy.

Yea pretty much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tray back Disco build
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4