Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sound System

Go down 
+2
Jake
KingKong8247
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KingKong8247
ABS Modulator Fondler
KingKong8247

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 am

So what is everybody running? How do you like it? Anything you'd do different if you were doing your system over again?

Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 am

I am about to be doing my system over again. I havent changed anything since I bought the truck except remove the subs in the rear door. The wiring is scewed up - it has a bad ground or something and sounds like crap.. Some day I am going to tear into it and add a sub woofer so I can hear my music again over tires.
Back to top Go down
KingKong8247
ABS Modulator Fondler
KingKong8247

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah that's one of the things I was thinking too, rewire the whole thing. At a minimum I want to get a new headunit and speakers all around with replacement woofers for the sub in the door. I'm just wondering if it's worth just redoing it all.

If I redo it all I'll bypass the factory amp and take out one of the jump seats and fab up a box. Just want to see what setups you guys are running and if you did the bare minimum would you go back and just rewire it all.

Also anyone replace the tweeters in the front?

Also my truck is my daily which is why I want to do this.
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm

I have the

*Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P5200HD I installed last year.
*Boston Acoustics speakers all around (except for sub) - actually just bought this pair the other night for the back speakers to replace with the newest model - the SE65 with integrated crossover.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SE65-P756.aspx
*Kenwood Amp of some sort - can't remember.
*JL Audio 10" subwoofer 10W1v2-4 in custom enclosure to not look like crap.
http://www.jlaudio.com/10w1v2-4-car-audio-w1v2-subwoofer-drivers-92072

If you're wanting a sub, I wouldn't get the 10" JL Audio unless you're thinking of chopping the top off your D1 - go with like an 8" sub. The sound is awesome when the top is off on my car, and still fills out nicely at highway speeds, but with the top on in the Winter time, the thing is just too damn powerful. It's a great sub though, and very efficient. It sits on my rear door, so I basically bought the most efficient, economical, and slimmest one I could find, and it's powerful as hell even at that depth and weight!

Oh and I litterally just finally caved in and bought the replacement knob for my Pioneer headunit after my dog somehow wedged his paw in there last year after I only owned him for 15 or so minutes - the thing sprung up out of the headunit, out of the D90 and onto the highway somewhere on 78. Just cost me freaking $33 to replace that stupid knob!!! But I was getting tired of using the remote all the time. So annoying!

Last edited by rijosho on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Jake wrote:
I am about to be doing my system over again. I havent changed anything since I bought the truck except remove the subs in the rear door. The wiring is scewed up - it has a bad ground or something and sounds like crap.. Some day I am going to tear into it and add a sub woofer so I can hear my music again over tires.

If you removed your subs and the problem just started occurring after that, your loose lines to the sub(s) are likely crossing and shorting out your system. Tape them off and see if it persists.

Good advice - I honestly cant remember if it was happening before or not but I want to say it was.
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:08 pm

Also, you can buy those Bostons Acoustics online on eBay and the like through dealers for cheaper than their MSRP.

Here you go - half the price!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-SE65-6-5-2-WAY-CAR-AUDIO-SPEAKERS-PAIR-/280899970136?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item4166f16458
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Any reccomendations for water proof stuff in case I want to put it somewhere in my truck water might make it to?
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned with occasional water getting on the speakers. My Boston Acoustic coaxial speakers have spent plenty of time outside without the top on in torrential downpour without any issues. Speakers are rarely if ever paper anymore or anything, so it's not an issue like it used to be.

Jake wrote:
Any reccomendations for water proof stuff in case I want to put it somewhere in my truck water might make it to?

The JL Marine line is pretty great. I've never priced them out but I've been on a boat with the system, and it could be heard loud and clear with no windscreen, the engine roaring, waves pounding, etc.

Looks like between $200-220 per pair for the regular coaxial stuff.
http://www.jlaudio.com/marine-audio-component-coaxial-systems-mx-series-cockpit-coaxial-systems-6-5-inch-systems

but again, cheaper on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MX650-CCX-CG-TB-JL-AUDIO-6-5-MARINE-COAXIAL-SPEAKERS-/300490223160?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item45f69cee38&vxp=mtr#ht_911wt_1236

http://www.jlaudio.com/marine-audio-subwoofer-drivers-mx-series
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-Audio-Mx10IB3-CG-WH-10-inch-Marine-Subwoofer-NIB-/190683548138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c65a009ea#ht_818wt_802

Looks like it gets over $600 pretty quickly! yikes.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 pm

billy im running a fairly slick setup, for not too much money. I need speakers still but the bones are there. I'm running a JVC arsenal head unit, with optional bluetooth phone, bypassed the factory amp. Still factory speakers. But a 500W amp out back (4 ch) two channel bridged for a 10" sub and the other two channels power to 6.5" round speakers in the back door. Once i replace the 4" speakers out front (fuck the tweeters, you'll never miss em) im going to replace the 4" speakers in the rear pillars with 6x9's and then it'll be done. It's in pretty good shape now.

Sound System F11d3591
Sound System 580323b0
Sound System Db2ccae7
Sound System A2780ba3
Sound System 88b887a0
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Turf wrote:
Once i replace the 4" speakers out front (fuck the tweeters, you'll never miss em)

The Boston Acoustic SE60 ones come with tweeters and external crossover, if you do think you'll miss the tweeters. Smile

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SE60-P750.aspx

on eBay for cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Acoustics-Mobile-Audio-SE60-6-5-inch-/120931705928?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c28176448&vxp=mtr#ht_970wt_115
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Mike, I'm sure those speakers are amazing. Boston acoustic makes great stuff. But you're talking to a guy who built a snorkel for $105. I'm not spending 120 on two speakers. Daddy ain't got knots like that
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Quote :
Mike, I'm sure those speakers are amazing. Boston acoustic makes great stuff. But you're talking to a guy who built a snorkel for $105. I'm not spending 120 on two speakers. Daddy ain't got knots like that

I like the zombie light switches Turf were did you get them?
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Turf wrote:

It's Josh. Very Happy

I got these the other day, and they're less than $60 shipped per pair - still Boston Acoustic, just without the separate tweeters (I have nowhere where those can fit anyway).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-SE65-6-5-2-WAY-CAR-AUDIO-SPEAKERS-PAIR-/280899970136?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item4166f16458#ht_1836wt_802
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:21 am

My bad josh. I was running on bad intel. Yeah. Those component systems are sick. They're just pricey. Infinity makes a nice set. They're like 300 though.
Jt. The switches are from www.otrattw.com. Totally worth it. On quality of switch. Not the rocker
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

Turf wrote:
But you're talking to a guy who built a snorkel for $105. I'm not spending 120 on two speakers.

The way I see it, a sound system is used way more frequently than a snorkel, so it's worth it to invest a little time and money in it, especially if it's a daily driver.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Billy if you fix your two broken windows you should be able to hear the speakers better.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 1:19 pm

buuuurrrnnnn
Back to top Go down
KingKong8247
ABS Modulator Fondler
KingKong8247

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 am

Haha Ed, you know it's all part of the plan. Less weight=better gas mileage. That's how I'm going to afford this system.

Josh, thanks for posting up all your info. Seems like you have done this a time or two. Of course with the DI it has some odd speaker sizes, so I'm not sure if those Boston's will work but I'll definitely check them out. And the sub being very slim is good because I don't want it to take up a lot of room.

Turf, you are the one who put this idea in my head. I walked by your truck this past weekend while you and Ed were clubbing in there and thought Damn my stereo sucks. Anyway I like how you kept the subs in the door and put a solo one in too. For the 6x9's in the rear, are they a custom fit or will they fit behind the stock speaker screen?

Anyone recommend a headunit? The bluetooth ones seem cool (for Pandora and stuff) but not sure if really needed since I can just plug into an ipod jack or aux unit. But then eliminating a wire is always a plus. I'm also going to bypass the factory amp and get an aftermarket one. Not sure yet if I'll just get one for a sub or one I can hook all the speakers up to though. Still have a lot of research to do.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 am

Dude. That jvc arsenal is 150$ on crutch field. You don't need an amp to power your speakers. The four 4" in the truck, or two 4 and 2 6x9 will be powered by the head unit. So all you need to do is bypass the factory amp with your speaker wire to the head unit and you'll be set. LATER if you want to add a sub or more speakers to the rear door then you'll need additional power. I have a four channel amp. Two channels for the sub and one each for the 6.5" round three way speakers on the back door. The sub and amp I had laying around. I built the box, and I haven't done speakers yet. So I'm only into this project for like 200$ so far. My only issue is the 6.5" speakers on the back door powered by the amp have awful alternator whine and I can't figure out where I went wrong.
The 6x9's won't bolt right up but if you've ever had those d-pillars out you know there's a lot of room to play around depth-wise so I'll just retain the wires, delete the speaker and cut bigger holes in the d pillar. In my head it works perfectly.
Back to top Go down
rijosho
3 Amigos Detective

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

Here's a pic of my JL 10" sub I was talking about in the custom enclosure. It's rhinolined, which added a little weight to it, but it absolutely needed to be weather-proof, so it was necessary. Matches the rest of the Rhino-lining anyway. Smile

One other thing I forgot, is that the dog absolutely HATES the sub. Not sure if it f's with their ears or what, but he's not a huge fan of it when the top is on. When the top is off I can only assume the waves go everwhere, as opposed to when the top is on.Sound System Img_3210
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Josh. That's a sick rig. Too bad you'r power steering took a dump on you. I would have liked to see it wheel.
Fwiw rocket doesn't mind the sub. Hates it less than actual four wheeling. That he can't stand.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm

finally re-upholstered my sub box. Now the curtains match the carpet Wink

Sound System 7947503f

Sound System E0b3a162
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm

I pulled my CD player out and the wiring harness looks like a rats nest... the ground was attached to some random wire (one of the 8 black wires) although it was a ground it's obviously not a good one.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:37 pm

From the factory or from somebody else? I think my amp whine is a result of a bad ground. I just don't know where
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Turf wrote:
From the factory or from somebody else? I think my amp whine is a result of a bad ground. I just don't know where
Previous owner it's aftermarket
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sound System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound System   Sound System I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sound System
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: