Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fern's new d2

Go down 
+4
dcarr1971
qbenplaya00
Jake
Hilltoppersx
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 7:39 am

so the first thing I would do would be a pressure test to make sure that the block is not cracked then I would do a leak down test it sounds like your head gaskets might be leaking. Also could be a MAF problem, 02 sensors might be bad. how many miles are on that truck? I would call Randy and get the glass in the body panel you need as well as a spare MAF sensor. then I would get some Kingsbourne 8 millimeter wires send some new plugs and see how the truck is running. If the truck is still misfiring you should know from the leak down test if the head gaskets are leaking. Then I would call Will Tillery and order a head gasket kit with head bolts.

I hope this truck was nearly free because it sounds like an absolute disaster and you might have been better off buying my old truck
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:57 pm

All of what Ed said. Pull the spark plugs and see how they look.. This is the first thing I always do and it usually gives you a good idea of what you're looking at. Id leak down test any cylinder that has a steamed cleaned or badly fouled plug. May also be worth checking for good spark with an inline tester to make sure misses aren't related to coil issue. Then move on to fuel and check pressure and make sure you have a fresh tank. Known good, clean MAF always helps diagnose. Over fueling issues are also often tracked back to O2 sensors. Sounds like you're going to be a busy guy!
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 5:14 pm

hey guys... thanks for the help. i just ordered the Kingsbourne 8mm (red) i am going to buy some ngk spark plugs next. i did some reading online and it sounds like its the 02 sensors acting up one me.

i had already spoken to Ryan (Vador) and our approach to this is taking baby steps first... we're going to try the full tune/ oil change and see where that takes us... i so far haven't had any coolant lost but i also haven't been driving it just testing it idling. so i wont know until i dive it down tomorrow to his house.

after that's done then we will do other test above... (i am aware that its always a good idea to actually just do it to know)

spoke to po and he said he didn't do any kind of maintenance on the truck itself -__- sound like he ran this thing to the ground.

Maf... new? wowzers... might pick one up and return it if not needed or call randy.... also checked inline test for wires... good to go on them. sprake plugs all look pretty much the same and they are all dirty (blackish in color).
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Black and dry is likely rich condition due to maf or O2s get a know good MAF from Randy and new O2s
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm

x2 on the MAF. Get one from Randy and if it's good, then get a spare too. (Having a spare MAF is always good idea...especially if you're going to wheel this truck with Capt. Ed and his u-boat...)
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 am

FYI Fern there is a good write up on changing headgaskets on a D2 in the new Rovers North magazine.
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am

Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
x2 on the MAF. Get one from Randy and if it's good, then get a spare too. (Having a spare MAF is always good idea...especially if you're going to wheel this truck with Capt. Ed and his u-boat...)

Having spare doors and quarter panels is always a good idea too......especially if you're going to wheel this truck with Dave Carroll
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 2:22 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
dcarr1971 wrote:

Having spare doors and quarter panels is always a good idea too......especially if you're going to wheel this truck with Dave Carroll

Can't argue that... Laughing
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am

ryan and i were going though the truck last night...
looks like head gaskets were done at one point by a dealership. i had no coolant lost on drive down and there was no signs of external leakage... so gaskets might not be bad.. .
my value cover gaskets are shot tho. o2 sensors look fried because of oil leaking on them.
crawled under under and my drive shaft is shot. u joints and all... needs a rebuilt. (explains vibration on road).
theres some rot on frame... not bad for my wife to use but enough to maybe not wheel with you guys...

it has the California emissions (secondary air system).
anyone know an easy way to change wires without taking out whole top of engine apart (stupid secondary air system crappy California tree huggers!)
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 12:10 pm

AFAIK, all 04's had secondary air, I changed my wires when I did the headgaskets. I don't think it would be remotely possible for any adult male to get a hand down there with the sai pipes in the way.
Back to top Go down
Vader
Questions DiscoMike
Vader

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 1:07 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
AFAIK, all 04's had secondary air, I changed my wires when I did the headgaskets. I don't think it would be remotely possible for any adult male to get a hand down there with the sai pipes in the way.

LOL!!! I am a small guy, I can get it done, I just got to remove the pipes to the secondary air. I've done a few this way, it just takes time, beer, and a good four letter word vocab.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 1:17 pm

qbenplaya00 wrote:

crawled under under and my drive shaft is shot. u joints and all... needs a rebuilt. (explains vibration on road).

You may want to pull that front drive shaft off immediately. D2's have a way of dropping them on the highway and beating a hole in your transmission.
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 2:48 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
qbenplaya00 wrote:

You may want to pull that front drive shaft off immediately. D2's have a way of dropping them on the highway and beating a hole in your transmission.

i was thinking of leaving it on and letting it scare the shit out of my wife. then laugh when she calls me crying asking me why she heard a loud sound and her truck cannot move anymore when she pushes on the pedal. What a Face

im going to pick up the spare 03 from Eric with 80k only it must have good driveshaft.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 3:46 pm

My front shaft went out at 40k.
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 4:27 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
My front shaft went out at 40k.

any good places to rebuild mine?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 4:53 pm

I brought mine to a truck shop that specializes in drive lines
Back to top Go down
Vader
Questions DiscoMike
Vader

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Mr Driveshaht. Their in central nj
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
I brought mine to a truck shop that specializes in drive lines
i know a local one i can shoot by tomorrow.

Vader wrote:
Mr Driveshaht. Their in central nj
yes ive heard of them and they are pretty good from what i hear. ive passed one of their shops before altho i forgot where.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 6:22 pm

There is a good write up in the tech section https://nelrc.iftopic.com/t25-from-the-lr-forums
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Do it yourself, or mr driveshaft in farmingdale, nj
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 7:17 pm

+1 on the rebuild, or if you have the cash you can get a Tom Woods drive shaft. They are $398 for the oem size and are quite a bit beefier.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:06 am

Thebloody323 wrote:
+1 on the rebuild, or if you have the cash you can get a Tom Woods drive shaft. They are $398 for the oem size and are quite a bit beefier.

Will Tillery can get them for $60 less than that.. But it all depends what you're going to use this truck for. I have rebuilt a D2 drive shaft and it wasnt hard with the right tools but the nice part about having a shop rebuild it is that most also put it on a machine to make sure it's balanced.
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 am

Jake wrote:
Thebloody323 wrote:

Will Tillery can get them for $60 less than that.. But it all depends what you're going to use this truck for. I have rebuilt a D2 drive shaft and it wasnt hard with the right tools but the nice part about having a shop rebuild it is that most also put it on a machine to make sure it's balanced.

+1 on the getting mine rebuilt at a shop. because of the balance situation. im getting both done while im at it. Tom Woods is overkill for my wifes grocery getter.
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 am

Jake wrote:
Thebloody323 wrote:

+1 on the getting mine rebuilt at a shop. because of the balance situation. im getting both done while im at it. Tom Woods is overkill for my wifes grocery getter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fern's new d2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fern's new d2   Fern's new d2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fern's new d2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: