Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... Empty
PostSubject: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm

So, as you know I blew up a CV pulling Ed's truck (and about 500 gallons of water) out of a pond. I changed the axle in the parking lot that night. Randy told me to pull it apart again to clean it out good. I did.
The swivel ball was not tight against the seal and it was leaking like crazy.
Last outing at Robesonia I was headed home and got a death wobble a few times. I tore down the swivel ball down last night and found the upper and lower bearing totaled. Trevor had the parts and was all set to rebuild it but found the swivel ball was no good.
The race would not seat properly as it was damaged. I bought a swivel ball from Paul Grant (used teflon coated one). Once that arrives I will have it back together.
I also got my new Terrafirma +2 shocks. I am waiting to put them until I have the swivel ball done. Too much apart at one time is not good.
I also got an alpine window from Randy. I was working it into place when it popped out and hit the garage floor. Perfect.
I also have RTE rear trailing arms to put on and a Tom Woods front driveshaft. I have no idea when that will happen
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

I know a guy with an 04 d2 fresh head gaskets!
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
I know a guy with an 04 d2 fresh head gaskets!

NO WAY! Me and this girl are going down together.
Back to top Go down
Therealassmikeg
Mud Tire Addict

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 8:39 am

So in a nutshell.. No good deed goes unpunished..
Start putting in the front coils. No use waiting to do them
only to find out the front shock tower studs all snapped off
and you have to wait another week for parts to arrive.
Just Sayin....
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Therealassmikeg wrote:
So in a nutshell.. No good deed goes unpunished..
Start putting in the front coils. No use waiting to do them
only to find out the front shock tower studs all snapped off
and you have to wait another week for parts to arrive.
Just Sayin....

Point taken. But I know myself and if I have too much apart I get overwhelmed. I took my Ducati M900 apart one winter to go over it. It took me two years to get it back together. Never again.

I also will not be removing my shock towers (not sure why you would) and the rest of the stuff has been apart recently. IT should go fairly well.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
...IT should go fairly well.

You just HAD to go and say it. Shocked Now you're screwed for sure.

If it makes you feel any better, my blown rear diff has also led some kind of a catastrophic axle shaft failure. I have to pull the entire rear axle out of my parts truck, switch it over to coil springs, and stuff it under my D2. After that, I can go back to sweating over getting it to pass PA inspection and determining whether it has another blown head gasket...
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
...IT should go fairly well.

You just HAD to go and say it. Shocked Now you're screwed for sure.

If it makes you feel any better, my blown rear diff has also led some kind of a catastrophic axle shaft failure. I have to pull the entire rear axle out of my parts truck, switch it over to coil springs, and stuff it under my D2. After that, I can go back to sweating over getting it to pass PA inspection and determining whether it has another blown head gasket...

what a mess. just pull the good bits and buy a new one. lol. i saw a nice 04 d2 by me with fresh gaskets for $4500
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Good luck DC! Sounds like some good garage time.

I just ordered a pair of Gulf Coast wheels. Jensen bent one good at Robesonia and I wanted a matching wheel for a spare.

Ed - do you know of a good D2 for sale??? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks. I'm going to get this one rolling under it's own power and decide where to go from here once I've positively confirmed the HG situation. If I can nurse it along until spring, things will be a lot easier...
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 am

[/quote]

I took my Ducati M900 apart [/quote]

Now that's a sexy italian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...   Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ed's Underwater Excursion keeps on giving...
Page 1 of 1