Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

loose steering/ steering play

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

loose steering/ steering play Empty
PostSubject: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:45 pm

ok, so i've checked out a bunch of stuff and here's what i know. There' a lot of slop in my steering wheel, I've checked my u-joints in the steering shaft. they're good. I've checked the tie rod ends and pitman arm, they seem good. The slop seems to be where the shaft meets the gear box, i THINK i've adjusted the preload the best i can, so if all those things are true.... is my steering box smoked?
i should probably double check the drag link length and put a steering damper on it too, that would probably help
Back to top Go down
forcefed44
3 Amigos Detective
forcefed44

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:52 am

The steering dampener will help but if you have had the play just recently pre dampener, the steering box may be on it's way out..

Chris
Back to top Go down
Vader
Questions DiscoMike
Vader

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Check the track bar bushings, sometimes if the bushings go bad you will feel it in the steering, and x 10 if you dont have a steering dampner.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 12:32 pm

it sounds like the box. if it was a bushing i would imagine you would have a death wobble not sloppy steering wheel syndrome SSWS. I had a death wobble before i did my panhard bushings.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:23 pm

yeah, i can literally grab the steering shaft where it meets the box and twist it back and forth like 60 degrees, thats what leads me to believe it's not an adjustment i can make in the preload on the box. i'll double check the bushings one more time, and the steering shaft, maybe something is loose.
follow question is who's got some cheap box for me?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:26 pm

cheap box? are there no hookers in Philly?
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Plenty of that. I'm looking for a low price steering box though
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:48 pm

call Randy and Paul. I bought a new one only because I planned on keeping this shit box for a long time and AB was having a sale
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm

I heard used ones ain't worth it. But yeah, I'm not gonna keep this truck for ever (read: I'm probably selling it once its safe). So cheap might be the winner here.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Turf wrote:
I heard used ones ain't worth it. But yeah, I'm not gonna keep this truck for ever (read: I'm probably selling it once its safe). So cheap might be the winner here.

you done with Rovers?
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Nah. It's just a shitty time four me to own a 4x4. I live in center city Philly. I wheel like three times a year. I'm at a point where I want to sink another 2k into it....and I'm like.....for what? So another 2k can sit out front of my house and stare at me all day? Ha. I just don't use it for anything other the wheeling and I don't do it that often because I live so far away. When I move out of the city ill start over. But until then...I need some space out front.
Back to top Go down
forcefed44
3 Amigos Detective
forcefed44

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah center city is also tough on parking.. I was at that Reading terminal Market outdoor thingy in the covered tunnel with the wife and lets just say. ummmmm, hmmmm. But the Crew club on the Deleware is calling me back ala Princeton Days...study 

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: loose steering/ steering play   loose steering/ steering play I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

loose steering/ steering play
Page 1 of 1