Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone Homebrew

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 1:08 am

Well my neighbor is down sizing houses an giving me his home brew equipment. Just seeing if anyone has any good recipes to try. I bought a couple recipe packs from the local home brew store I'm gonna try here soon.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 12:14 pm

No, but I've been thinking about getting in to it too. Keep us posted on how it goes for you.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:07 pm

As soon as my new brew kettle comes in I'm gonna try 2 5gal batches. One is a cream ale the other is a lager. I'll keep ya posted. Its seams pretty easy just sounds an looks a lot more complex then what it really is
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 12:13 am

Shuler Ale.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 am

Brewed first of my 2 batches yesterday. Wasnt too bad of an ordeal. Just read instructions an make sure everything is sterilized. Hopefully in about 3-4 weeks I'll have my first taste of it.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 11:16 am

Brian, Check around, but I'm pretty sure that running everything through the dishwasher should normally be good enough to sterilize it. At least, I know that it's sterile enough to use the dishwasher when you're canning vegetables and other foods.

I'll be interested to hear how these batches turn out.

So...anyone know anything about growing your own hops? I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but we're moving onto the wife's family's farm this summer and if I'm getting in to brewing, growing my own hops could be an option.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 pm

I cant fit my 20gal brew kettle or my 6.5 gallon fermentor in my dishwasher lol. I used product called star-san the local homebrew shop recommended. Its pretty cheap as far sterilizing goes. I'll run my bottles threw the dishwasher before i bottle but they still recommend sterilizing after a cycle threw the dishwasher. I think the sterilization has to do with the yeast enzymes, I guess they get a little funky flavors if any bateria is present during the fermentation period.

I was reading on growing hops but as of right now its just easier for me to buy it, but maybe sometime in the future id like to look more into it.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 pm

i have a friend upstate NY he grows every damn thing, i saw last year he had hops and tobacco amongst all his fruit, veg and flowers.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 11:52 pm

My IPA started fermenting today an the house smells of hops. Maybe this time next week I'll move it to a secondary fermentor to clear it up some.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:21 am

Gotta say you gotta have some patients with this hobby. I have 6-5gal batches fermenting through out the house. They are spread from the spare bedroom, dinning room, basement, an garage. Certain yeast like certain temps to make them happy. I'm gonna bottle my first batch whenever I get home next week but itll still have to condition in the bottle 3-4 weeks till its mature. I just hope the reward is worth the wait.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Anyone Homebrew Image_zps9fc92e9c

First taste of it an gotta say it turned out pretty damn good for not knowing what the hell I'm doing lol. Thats my cream ale I have an IPA, 2 lagers, Kolsch, and 2 summer saisons fermenting now.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Got 6 gallons of raspberry mead fermenting too

Anyone Homebrew Image_zpsb6064739
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 am

what on earth is that! lol.. police show up at your house they going to think its a body in a tank.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
what on earth is that! lol.. police show up at your house they going to think its a body in a tank.

LOL. Its some rasberrys floating in there.  It does look bad but smells an taste pretty damn good. Its wine with honey instead of sugar for sweetening
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 am

what is that 5 gallons of mead? so weird that you can make beer and mead but you cant make vodka.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
what is that 5 gallons of mead? so weird that you can make beer and mead but you cant make vodka.

6 gallons lol. Yeah thats messed up you cant legally distill. I freeze distill apple jack when ive made it. But thats a whole different process. I did help my buddy build a still, he makes about 5 gal a year with it. I think its legal as long as your not selling it an can only produce so much a year.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 11:38 pm

you have to bring some of your mead to an outing this year! you should make sure you come to at least one outing at Rausch or Anthracite this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anyone Homebrew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone Homebrew   Anyone Homebrew I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Homebrew
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Random BS-
Jump to: