Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New From Philly Area

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mortimer
Jiffy Lube Tech
Mortimer

New From Philly Area Empty
PostSubject: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello all, just joining.  Kent from Montgomery County, I'm just north of Philly along with Mortimer, my new to me 2008 LR3 HSE. I went on an off road trip with my brother out west in his D2 two summers ago and had to get my own.

Currently, I'm enjoying the new hypochondriac nature I have developed over my rover though feeling gratified by finding answers that avoid runs to the dealer.

Truck is totally stock at this point but I've already installed some homemade cabinets and getting gear together to get off-road. Full spare is the key item I need (19", yes ugh). Lots of smaller items including some recovery gear and I should be good to go after that.

Watched one of your you tube videos and glad to see other like minded guys out there.  Look forward to completing my kit and getting the wheels dirty. If anyone is in greater Philadelphia area, feel free to drop me a line.

Kent
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 5:45 pm

you should come to Rovers on the Rocks in November! fit yourself some Johnson Rods. What kind of tires you have? 19" tires are expensive.
https://www.facebook.com/events/305253902982738/
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Mortimer
Jiffy Lube Tech
Mortimer

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:42 pm

I've got Michelin Latitudes (255/55,19). Unless I significantly upgrade tires, lifts aren't really necessary, are they?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 8:58 pm

The Johnson rods are dead easy to install. The lift will give you clearance front back and Center remember you don't have axles.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Mortimer
Jiffy Lube Tech
Mortimer

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Got it (+2" for the rods and then off road mode for another +2"). I know these are an inexpensive upgrade for the benefit. Is there any safety concern running the lifts all the time, in effect increasing the center of gravity?

What are your thoughts on my tires? Until I can afford 5 rims and tires I'm stuck with what I have. Rubber is in good shape so it won't make sense to do now ... Although if I could find an SE owner soccer mom dying for larger wheels a swap would be great.
Back to top Go down
qbenplaya00
Hardcore Lesbian
qbenplaya00

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 11:10 pm

rods dont mess with your center gravity much. i have them installed on my lr3 as well for 6 months. you'll notice the difference in height but nothing to radical in cornering. when driving normal, if your rally or course track your lr3 i do not recommend the rods then. your aint roll system kicks in before you have any chance of flipping anyway (tested by me Rolling Eyes ) you'll be fine.

as for wheels... i have the 19" as well and i have taking them off road with stock street tires... they do not like rocks (also tested by me Neutral ) ... so if you are planning off roading with stock 19 i recommend lite trails for now.

as for smaller rims you have to see your brakes. if its the bigger one you cannot go down much i think 18" i believe. but dont quote me on that.

welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Jiffy Lube Tech
Mortimer

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Research I have done to date indicates I can go to the British LR3 OEM 17"s but that requires replacement of brake calipers to the V6 version and a few other alterations. Those wheels are also not easy to come by in the states. I traded emails with Lucky8 and they sell 17"s for the LR3 that are direct replacement without any brake mods. Those rims are $110 each I believe which make a that best option if I'm going to change wheels/tires.

Thanks for the tire advice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New From Philly Area   New From Philly Area I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New From Philly Area
Page 1 of 1