Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Swivel pin preload

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Anybody done this? Got some wobble I can't cure..
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Heres a decent wright up: http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/how-adjust-your-swivel-pin-preload-36607/

Its more time consumeing then it is difficult. I set mine to 20lbs instead of the recomended 15lbs but with my wheels offset so mutch it feels a lot better. I also went with the older non abs solid upper pins but thats only because my originals were toast and my HD axles dont have the semsor ring.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Long Haul wrote:
Heres a decent wright up: http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/how-adjust-your-swivel-pin-preload-36607/

Its more time consumeing then it is difficult. I set mine to 20lbs instead of the recomended 15lbs but with my wheels offset so mutch it feels a lot better. I also went with the older non abs solid upper pins but thats only because my originals were toast and my HD axles dont have the semsor ring.

Should I just pick up a new kit? It feels like my steering is loose on the right side when I hit bumps. The left side takes bumps a lot better. Probably a shock issue too?
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:11 am

I would want a shim kit handy when you do it so you have a variety of different thickness shims. I always had problems with the passenger side wearing faster then drivers side, but if you do one do both sides kinda like brakes. Also make sure the bolts are tight holding the steering box on as well as the pitman arm. I wouldnt narrow out the shocks either especially if they are well worn.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:15 am

Yea it's just the extra lift is pulling stress on them pulling them almost to their max. Feel like I'm gonna break a pin. Where you get your kit? I'd rather do it all at once.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 am

I got them threw either Atlantic British or Rovers North I forget. Justin or PT Schramm probably have them too its worth shopping around for them. If you have a micrometer it makes it a little easier to tell the thickness of the shims. I would only get 1 kit since youll be removing shims but they can tear real easy and its nice to have a couple extra
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Long Haul wrote:
I got them threw either Atlantic British or Rovers North I forget. Justin or PT Schramm probably have them too its worth shopping around for them. If you have a micrometer it makes it a little easier to tell the thickness of the shims. I would only get 1 kit since youll be removing shims but they can tear real easy and its nice to have a couple extra

hit up PT on this... Asked for prices on a kit and shims. Ordered those shocks from Denny so I'm going to have a fun weekend here soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Swivel pin preload Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swivel pin preload   Swivel pin preload I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swivel pin preload
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: