Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

First Aid Kit

Go down 
+5
dcarr1971
Turf
Jake
devildog01
Long Haul
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:04 am

Building a First aid kit to keep in the rover just looking for ideas what all I need to keep in it. Yeah i know I can buy one already made but they usually only have 3 bandages and 6000 feet of ace wrap and a piss ass little one shot of antibiotic cream all in a crappy plastic case. I'm looking to get a tupperware container about 8x10" about 2" deep as a container with the basic bandages, gloves, advil, wrap, scissors, cold compress, neosporin. Any other ideas what should be in there?
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 am

You can get some decent ones online.There are some that let you build your own kit as far as what combo of bandages and medicine you can have.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Hey don't hate my my crappy Walmart first aid kit. Lol
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 pm

I have a tackle box in my rig full of stuff, hell Ive gave myself stitches before out of it. But I dont want anything that big and bulky bouncing around all the time. Ive seen the build your own kits online but the cases suck, plus mother is the regional Rite Ade manager so I can get the supplies dirt cheap. I just need some input on what guys are carrying in theres.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Bourbon and a straight edge knife. Kit complete.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 4:35 pm

I picked one up from Cal Army/Navy that's seems pretty comprehensive for ~$65. It has everything from band aids and aspirin to sutures packed in one of these (http://www.voodootactical.net/p-195-molle-compatible-military-style-m3-medic-bag-combat-medical-kit.aspx). It has so much stuff that I can't honestly remember everything. (I'll try to remember to bring it with me when I come out for the D1 and you can poke around at it for ideas.)

For a basic kit I'd consider adding a CPR mask/shield and Tylenol to your list. Sometimes Advil isn't enough or some people are allergic to it (and aspirin), and the CPR mask is pretty self explanatory...just imagine having to give one of us fine physical specimens mouth-to-mouth. affraid

If you're considering being able to handle a bigger injury, I'd think about getting a couple Qwik-Clot bandages and some Saran wrap too...
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Turf wrote:
Bourbon and a straight edge knife. Kit complete.

Nice. Better add a couple feet of rope for a tourniquet too then...
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:05 pm

I can't count the number of times I have used electrical tape and a paper towel to patch up what should have should have been stitched.And that was before I joined the USMC.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 pm

I got a German medic box from Coleman's. Found a kit in cvs that had nearly everything ineeded including scissor, tums, asprin, tylenol, bandages, gauze tape, gloves, band aids, alcohol swabs, bacitracin, cant think whet else, burn spray, cold compress,....
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 am

Pick up a kit from somewhere. If it doesn't have them, add the following:
Steri strips
Butterfly closures
Bottle of Saline solution
Vetbond
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Vetbond-3ml/dp/B00061MUAG
*Vetbond is the same superglue like stuff they use in hospitals, except the stuff they use in hospitals isn't available for sale to the general public.
QuikClot
http://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Sport-Advanced-Clotting-Sponge/dp/B001B62XHU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1325251557&sr=1-1
Stops lots of bleeding really fast. If possible, use instead of a tourniquet, because the tourniquet an cut off blood flow below it, requiring amputation if left on for too long.

PS I'm allergic to aspirin.
Back to top Go down
GlobalJet
Jiffy Lube Tech
GlobalJet

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 pm

In a previous life I did the paramedic thing for over a decade, and learned real quick the last thing a true trauma bag needs is aspirin or band-aids (we carried neither in our rigs..).

In addition to the generically sold kit's inventory, I added to mine:

- x3 multi-trauma pads (the small ones that come w/ the home kits are useless in a true "oh shit" type incident)
- A few burn dressings and at least .5l of sterile saline
- x2 triangular sling/bandages (arm/elbow/shoulder injuries)
- a few latex gloves that fit you, for dealing w/ anyone other than a trusted friend/family member
- 1" cloth medical tape (the duct tape of the EMS world)
- and of course, a set of the large trauma shears (they'll cut thru boot leather to bra straps..)

Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 12:45 am

GlobalJet wrote:

- and of course, a set of the large trauma shears (they'll cut thru boot leather to bra straps..)

Nice. I'm always impressed with those things...boot leather is nothing...I've seen my wife cut pennies in half just to show that she can... cheers
Back to top Go down
Not Double D
Dirty Diff Fluid Tech
Not Double D

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:13 am

dcarr1971 wrote:
GlobalJet wrote:

Nice. I'm always impressed with those things...boot leather is nothing...I've seen my wife cut pennies in half just to show that she can... cheers

Dave, the only first aid you need comes in a bottle that says 100 proof.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Not Double D wrote:
dcarr1971 wrote:
GlobalJet wrote:

Dave, the only first aid you need comes in a bottle that says 100 proof.

or in a mason jar from chapmans back porch.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Sponsored content

First Aid Kit Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Aid Kit   First Aid Kit I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Aid Kit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Random BS-
Jump to: