Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Improving gas milage

Go down 
+3
jveen
DiscoSux
Jake
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Improving gas milage Empty
PostSubject: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Well today I made leaps and bounds in improving my gas milage... On top of replacing my injectors with 3rd gen Ford injectors I change my fuel filter, downgraded my fan clutch to the standard duty (wow it's quiet) and I get the same temps. I also got rid of my rack! All I hear on the road now is tires and exhaust and I feel lighter and more aerodynamic..

Here's a pic of the truck rackless.. I may get rid of the roof rails too later on

Improving gas milage Norack10

And here's another beautiful ghettofab creation.. having a welder is so awesome hahah

Improving gas milage Diffgu10
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:32 pm

yep, the black skull works...

I say the roof rack is the Emperor's New Clothes. Much like the Pines. ;-)

If you can't fit all your shit in a Disco with the back seat down, you're taking too much shit...
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Man I want that rack. I already have a shit load of parts to put on my truck on top of the heads Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Hey Jake did fab that diff guard ? Im digging the design
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Cris_A wrote:

No just welded the skull on and painted it. It's an old strap on SG diff guard that is welded on.

I have been thinking about buying some weldable sewer end caps and cutting them in half and selling them as diff guards. The weld on skulls are from ballistic fab so I probably shouldnt sell them as a regular item with another companies shit attached. Sewer caps are 3/8" thick and are with out a doubt the strongest diff pan protection. Having the half guard makes it easier cause you dont have to cut off the diff cover and weld on the full camp or weld in a bung for a diff plug.
Back to top Go down
Cris_A
Articulation Expert
Cris_A

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Jake wrote:
Cris_A wrote:

No just welded the skull on and painted it. It's an old strap on SG diff guard that is welded on.

I have been thinking about buying some weldable sewer end caps and cutting them in half and selling them as diff guards. The weld on skulls are from ballistic fab so I probably shouldnt sell them as a regular item with another companies shit attached. Sewer caps are 3/8" thick and are with out a doubt the strongest diff pan protection. Having the half guard makes it easier cause you dont have to cut off the diff cover and weld on the full camp or weld in a bung for a diff plug.

Nice I want one just like yours ,thinking about buying a welder and teaching my self how to weld small stuff but don't know wich way to go ,MIG, wirefed .... something I can use on sheet metal and heavier gauge like a diff guard or bumper
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Cris_A wrote:
Jake wrote:
Cris_A wrote:

Nice I want one just like yours ,thinking about buying a welder and teaching my self how to weld small stuff but don't know wich way to go ,MIG, wirefed .... something I can use on sheet metal and heavier gauge like a diff guard or bumper

Thanks - I wondered if the skull and bright red was going to be too much but I like it also

A Mig is a type of wirefed welder.. Get one that will do both flux core and solid wire with shielding gas. Then you can practice with the flux until you get decent and understand how it works then add the gas and practice until you master it. - Thats whay I am doing anyway
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
...If you can't fit all your shit in a Disco with the back seat down, you're taking too much shit...

I would agree with this if it was just me, but the wife, kids, and German Shepherd complain when I put my stuff inside and make them run along side the truck on longer trips...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
...If you can't fit all your shit in a Disco with the back seat down, you're taking too much shit...

I would agree with this if it was just me, but the wife, kids, and German Shepherd complain when I put my stuff inside and make them run along side the truck on longer trips...

Isnt that why you bought them a disco?!
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 8:02 pm

DiscoSux wrote:

If you can't fit all your shit in a Disco with the back seat down, you're taking too much shit...

you can never take enough "shit" as you call it. I call it parts and tools.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:

So what do you put on the rack then? I can fit a huge box with all the spare parts do a D1, tools, waterproof case for stuff that needs to stay dry, camping gear, decent size tool box, and a milkcrate with fluids and recovery gear.. and none of it had to go on the rack..
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:

So what do you put on the rack then? I can fit a huge box with all the spare parts do a D1, tools, waterproof case for stuff that needs to stay dry, camping gear, decent size tool box, and a milkcrate with fluids and recovery gear.. and none of it had to go on the rack..

I have two spares, a cot, cot matress, 8 person tent, full kitchen. All stuff you don't carry. I'm getting two pelican cases for the rack, one for food other for the kitchen. Getting jerry cans and already have sand ladders and eight lights. My rack gets usr and will get more use. I'm not building a rock crawler. I'm building a capable expo truck.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:

I have two spares, a cot, cot matress, 8 person tent, full kitchen. All stuff you don't carry. I'm getting two pelican cases for the rack, one for food other for the kitchen. Getting jerry cans and already have sand ladders and eight lights. My rack gets usr and will get more use. I'm not building a rock crawler. I'm building a capable expo truck.

I hear ya I'm just saying you could fit all that in your truck. What do you need Jerry cans for? are you going to go on a legit expedition?
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Yes, expedition next summer. NELRC planes, trains, and automobiles. (Title not formalized yet). A 3-4 night trip through the north maine woods.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
Yes, expedition next summer. NELRC planes, trains, and automobiles. (Title not formalized yet). A 3-4 night trip through the north maine woods.

Exactly.

2013 Maine.

2014 Canada.

2015 Darien Gap?
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:

Exactly.

2013 Maine.

2014 Canada.

2015 Darien Gap?

have fun in 2015. Theres no way i'm driving through mexico if i can't carry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Improving gas milage   Improving gas milage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Improving gas milage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: