Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Winter Romp '11

Go down 
+2
Long Haul
Best4by4byFar
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Best4by4byFar
Still New Guy

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Feb 18-21 '11 - Anyone from here plan on going??

Yet to be updated link --->> http://www.winterromp.org/
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:07 am

Very tempting. I might go up if I can get ahold of a pickup an trailer by then. My D1 with new gears maxes out at about 70mph and thats a long ride for me. I'll let you know a little closer to then.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 pm

I was checking it out as well. looks like a blast. like Brian said it is a real haul though, i spoke to Brett about it he says he won't make it. We are talking about heading down to the pine barrens at the end of March.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Long Haul wrote:
Very tempting. I might go up if I can get ahold of a pickup an trailer by then. My D1 with new gears maxes out at about 70mph and thats a long ride for me. I'll let you know a little closer to then.

turning into a real trail rig now! nearly time to cut that roof off and weld on a cage
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Long Haul wrote:

turning into a real trail rig now! nearly time to cut that roof off and weld on a cage

Maybe once I get a tow rig. I been eyeing up tubing benders so that mite be a good excuse to get one
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:25 pm

would be nice if you could get some specs on the SD cage make the engineering a bit easier.

let me know if you plan on heading up to winter romp, i could take a few days off and head up as well. never been up there so would love to see it and what better time than the dead of winter.
Back to top Go down
whatroad
NELRC N00B

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Hello, new here. If you can make the trip it's a great time. There are usually at least 50 trucks there, and the trails vary by weather conditions, so it's never the same.

I'm originally from Pa and have relocated to Maine about 3.5 years ago. There are some amazing trails up here.

If you guys make the trip and find the Winter Romp not as challenging as you had hoped, please get in touch with me and I can show you *other* areas. Cool
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm

welcome to the forum. 50 trucks sounds like a good group! what kind of rig you running up there?
Back to top Go down
whatroad
NELRC N00B

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:38 am

Until about 2 months ago I was running a 2000 kent green D2. 2" lift, 3 link front end, 34" SSR's, 4.43 GBRs and a detroit, warn 9.5ti, plus a lot of *custom* bodywork. It was my daily driver.

Now, I'm driving a 1996 D1 5 speed that was a garage queen. I'll have 36's on it by the end of the month, and I'll only have a 2.5" lift. I built another 3 link for the front, I'm on the fence of doing boat sides, and I'll probably take the rear quarter glass out and replace it with 3/16th Al. like I did in my D2. It will be my daily driver so I'll keep it mild . No, I don't have pics, I never have a camera with me, and the usually where I'm wheeling you need to stay focused on the trail...

Hope to see you guys up here in Feb.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 pm

giving up the radio for armor! NICE!
Back to top Go down
whatroad
NELRC N00B

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 10:11 pm

Function first. After breaking both side windows, I quickly tired of that. Besides, with a CD player and I-pod, do you really need the radio?

Wink
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm

we had a club member lose that window last month. You tig welded a sheet right in there? did you rattle can your truck after that? or leave it brushed?

i saw a nice disco in the military that had only the front 3 windows in tact eveyrthing else was solid and it looked pretty f'n cool.
Back to top Go down
demonlarry
Still New Guy

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 am

I'll have just gotten back from a Scooter Rally in Florida, so I'm out.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Little Green Giant
Jiffy Lube Tech
Little Green Giant

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey new here 1st post as a matter of fact. If any of you can make it to winter romp i definatly suggest going. I've been twice and had 2 great times. The trails are very weather dependent based on snowfall but there is a good variation from mild to extreme. Saw someone posted there were about 50 trucks, when i went in 2009 there were more without question. Lots of D1's and classics, bunch of D2's and alot more defenders than you can shake a stick at. I am alomost positive im going so see you up there
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Awesome thanks for the info! where in the BX are you? I'm in Harrison on the sound. are you trailering your rig up to Maine or driving up?
Back to top Go down
Little Green Giant
Jiffy Lube Tech
Little Green Giant

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm in the Country Club section of the Bronx, but am in Westchester alot so not far from you. My truck still needs some stuff IE i need to do head gaskets, and some of my off road goodies put on. Just trying to find the time. If i get the time to do it before romp ill drive mine up , if not then I'll ride shotgun with a friend of mine from CT in his Classic
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 5:26 pm

oh yeah you are not far at all. you doing the gaskets yourself? what kind of lift do you have? you bring chains up there?
Back to top Go down
Little Green Giant
Jiffy Lube Tech
Little Green Giant

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 12:08 pm

yeah I'm doing the gaskets myself they aren't bad to do. I dont have a lift presently, recently got married so every penny was going there. But I'm looking into possibly doing the terrafirma 2" lift, but havnt't sat down and looked up a ton of info on it. My truck is stock right now, but I've got a bumper and some stuff sitting waiting for it. I have never run chains, but a bunch of people up there do
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 12:30 pm

I have the +2" TF kit i got it from Justin at Lucky 8. I think its great. the HG's are not that bad just time consuming and nice to have an extra set of hands. Congrats on the marriage!
Back to top Go down
Little Green Giant
Jiffy Lube Tech
Little Green Giant

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the congrats and thanks for the info on the TF's...the hg's arent bad I plan on doing em in the middle of january some time not exactly sure when
Back to top Go down
whatroad
NELRC N00B

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Why does everyone *think* they need to do their head gaskets? Over half the trucks I look at, this does not need to be done. I have over 150K on my D2, never touched the heads and have driven this to within an inch of it's life and zero problems. There are a ton of "shops" that say so and is a great money maker, but it is a fairly tale

The intake valley gasket, you bet, I haven't seen one truck yet that didn't have a leak there. Don't spend the money on the head gaskets right away.

What tests have you preformed to determine that they need to be replaced? What observations have given you the indication of this?

Have some trucks needed the heads removed, yes. But when a few people need this then all of a sudden it becomes gospel for the masses. Don't believe the hype folks.

What generally happens is someone neglects the leaking intake gasket and at some point they overheat the engine due to coolant loss.

Just my .02 though.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:27 pm

i don't "think' you need to do anything. I had to do mine because they were leaking badly contaminating the oil and causing serious misfires. while doing the HG's i did everything else just because i didnt wan't to have to break everything down again. time vs cost thing to me. i think we do see a lot of HG failures on these trucks. Hitting 150k without a HG leak sounds awesome and I wish i could have achieved that with either of the discos i owned.
Back to top Go down
Little Green Giant
Jiffy Lube Tech
Little Green Giant

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:34 pm

So with winter romp a little less than 2 weeks away going back to the original post is any1 elsa going? I definatly am but unortunatly did not have time to do the nesecary things to my truck so Im riding shotgun with my good friend in his RRC. Hopefully some of you are coming up too becuase as I said earlier it really is a great time. Here is the info if anyone needs it
http://www.winterromp.org/
Back to top Go down
Best4by4byFar
Still New Guy

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Heading up from Boston sometime Friday afternoon /night, depending on work. Driving up w/ another DII from this area. Be sure to say hello if you see us...

Bill
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Wll since I couldnt make it up there do you have any pics of the ride????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winter Romp '11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Romp '11   Winter Romp '11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Romp '11
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next