Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Convoy for heroes

Go down 
+5
durt d1ver
DocFodge
jveen
apatrizzi
Hilltoppersx
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 pm

So i have been thinking about an event for a few months now. I want to gauge how many of you would be interested. They do an event in England called Convoy for heroes and I think we should do something similar. If I could work something out with a bar or restaurant where we could get them to donate us some food. we would convoy from one spot to another. I was thinking maybe even stopping by ground zero or something like that. We would set a donation amount that would be donated to one of the best vet charities the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. believe it or not there are quite a few vet charities that have very poor ratings with the BBB because the head of the charity takes home a huge salary or something similar. here is more info on the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/ I'm open to suggestions and ideas on how to make it the best event possible. I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
So i have been thinking about an event for a few months now. I want to gauge how many of you would be interested. They do an event in England called Convoy for heroes and I think we should do something similar. If I could work something out with a bar or restaurant where we could get them to donate us some food. we would convoy from one spot to another. I was thinking maybe even stopping by ground zero or something like that. We would set a donation amount that would be donated to one of the best vet charities the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. believe it or not there are quite a few vet charities that have very poor ratings with the BBB because the head of the charity takes home a huge salary or something similar. here is more info on the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund. http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/ I'm open to suggestions and ideas on how to make it the best event possible. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

I'd be interested in this, particularly if there were a few cool places to stop for photo ops. I love wheeling my rover, but sometimes its nice just to take it on a cruise.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Id like to do something like this after I seen the videos on youtube
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 pm

good. im glad we can garner some interest. yes there will be plenty of photo ops and we can all talk BS and eat some food and talk about how brilliant our crappy trucks are and it's all for a good cause. Let me know if anyone has good ideas about start or stopping points, etc....
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Upstate N.Y. when the leaves change. Or start in nyc roll up the hudson towards west point my .02¢. I bet who LR community as a whole would be up for doing something like this. Start small and let it grow.
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 am

I'm totally in on this. I do a lot of work with a group called Tip of The Arrow. They focus on employment of Vets returning from overseas active duty or other Vets separating from service. Can't do enough for these guys. I served during a pretty peaceful time in the world, I can't imagine how hard it is for these guys that have been deployed several times through their Guard or Reserve units, or those that have served multiple tours as full time active duty.

I like the idea of gathering at Ground Zero then leave the city for a drive up the Hudson in the fall. Westpoint, Watertown (do they have any active duty there any more - I think it used to be home to the 10th Mountain Div), or some similar place good be fun. I think winding up at a base could be cool. Maybe even head south from NYC and wind up at Arlington Cemetery.

No matter what, great idea, great cause.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 am

Quote :
I'm totally in on this. I do a lot of work with a group called Tip of The Arrow. They focus on employment of Vets returning from overseas active duty or other Vets separating from service. Can't do enough for these guys. I served during a pretty peaceful time in the world, I can't imagine how hard it is for these guys that have been deployed several times through their Guard or Reserve units, or those that have served multiple tours as full time active duty.

I like the idea of gathering at Ground Zero then leave the city for a drive up the Hudson in the fall. Westpoint, Watertown (do they have any active duty there any more - I think it used to be home to the 10th Mountain Div), or some similar place good be fun. I think winding up at a base could be cool. Maybe even head south from NYC and wind up at Arlington Cemetery.

My friends brother was stationed up there like a year or 2 ago so i think its still there. I like the NYC to Arlington route better.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:43 am

i think i got it figured out. you guys are the best! after i verify some stuff ill finalize the plan.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:00 am

Sounds like a great idea to me. Whatever plans you come up with sounds good. Lauren does volunteer work with Concerns of Police Survivors (COPS), which is a organization that provides support to the spouses and children of officers killed in the line of duty. I was going to ride in the Police Unity Tour this year, and meet her down in DC, during national police week, but due to hurting my back at work, i missed the cutoff.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 am

Me and my old man are in. Ed it sounds like you have the plan locked up. But id vote for NYC to Arlington as well. But whatever dude.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Quote :
Me and my old man are in. Ed it sounds like you have the plan locked up. But id vote for NYC to Arlington as well. But whatever dude.

I can't wait to get to D.C. fording the reflecting pool to Lincoln memorial and then climbing the stairs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 pm

gonna need a whole lotta gas for that route lol. looking forward to it.

Disco at 2:07 is AWESOME in this vid.

Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 am

Are NON rovers allowed? Hell id have to take a loan to pay for gas just to get to NYC.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Turf wrote:

I like this idea too on one of the weekend days - please give me a couple months to get my rig sorted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:16 pm

A bunch of guys at work do something similar, and with drinking. Instead of trucks, we do a bar crawl on tandem bicycles. Everyone pays an entrance fee, and all the bars give one free beer, plus put out some food. All the collected moeny goes to a autism charity.

I've never done a NYC bar crawl, only philly bar crawls.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

First off. Biking drunk is illegal. Second off. I'm in
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Turf wrote:
First off. Biking drunk is illegal. Second off. I'm in

Not in NJ.

As our ambassador to the philly bar scene, you need to set up something like the erin express, but with a bunch of idiots who own land rovers.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 pm

So you want a bus or you want to bar crawl in our land rovers. I think one of these ideas is awesome and one is awful. Guess. (spoiler alert I think buses are for children and people who wear helmets to walk). I'm always down to get banged up. But I planned a bus pub crawl once. It sucks. Takes a collossal effort. Consider this your pub crawl. Any day I'm not bartending. Ill take you (open invite) to oodles of Philly bars. Sans the big cheese and we'll have the same good time. Ever played bar golf?
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:12 pm

We never used the buses on the erin express. There was always some drunk sorority girls puking in them. We always just walked. It was a good way to work off some alcohol between bars. I was thinking of pricelining a few rooms, and getting hammered as we walk from bar to bar.

Never played bar golf. Care to explain?

On another note, I was in a wedding last october. My buddy met his wife on the erin express in 2007.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:26 pm

That's a classy broad. Keeper. I posted the rules in random b.s so we don't torch Ed's thread
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 pm

NYC is out of the question. I don't think Shuler's truck would even fit thru any of the toll plaza's let alone a street in downtown manhattan.

Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 pm

My grandfather and my grandmother are buried at Arlington. My grandfather was a lieutenant colonel. I'd love to head in that direction. Fwiw
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Brigadier General William C. Doyle Veterans Cemetery is about 20 minutes from the wawa where we meet in whiting.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
NYC is out of the question. I don't think Shuler's truck would even fit thru any of the toll plaza's let alone a street in downtown manhattan.

I drove thru manhatten with a 25" box truck and my disco on a trailer behind me.. It's not easy but it's possible....
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:

I drove thru manhatten with a 25" box truck and my disco on a trailer behind me.. It's not easy but it's possible....

why did you drive thru manhattan? you should have went thru staten island to jersey. and how did you fit in such a small truck. jackass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Convoy for heroes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Convoy for heroes   Convoy for heroes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Convoy for heroes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next