Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My disco smashed while parked...

Go down 
+6
jveen
Turf
durt d1ver
Hilltoppersx
Jake
apatrizzi
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

My disco smashed while parked...  Empty
PostSubject: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

I got a call last night while I was in Rochester NY for work and it was my mom to tell me that my dads truck and my truck had both been involved in an accident... while they were both parked.

Some dickless piece of shit decided it'd be a good idea to drive down my residential (25mph) street at about 75 or 80 (according to police) and smash face first into the rear end of my dads truck, a beautiful 2009 GMC Canyon 4x4 Off Road edition with 265/75 duratracs (small details i know). Sending it smashing into the ass of my beloved Discovery that was seriously just coming into the prime of its life. But wait, theres more.

The transmission in my beloved disco must have exploded inside, because it was sent rolling about 1/8 mile down the hill (we live on small hill of course) down the road at night, with the lights off and no one behind the wheel, finally coming to rest after popping the curb and smashing a telephone pole.

I left Rochester at 8pm because I just had to see what happened to both of our vehicles and i wanted to be first in line to take care of it this morning. My dads truck is still in front of the house, but mine had to be flat bedded to a local shop being that it was still in park and had rolled 1/8 mile through traffic and was clearly not drivable thanks to the obvious transmission issues.

Reports are the rear door is smashed in, both lower tail lights are broken and that the front fender got a little bruised when hitting the pole and a head light popped out. I went to the tow yard where it was supposed to be towed to at 1:15 AM when i got home, but it wasnt there yet, the driver prob just took it home and will have it there this morning. I'm taking my dad to get a rental car in a while and will stop by there shortly after to see the damage. here is a preview of my dads front end.

So with that said, I'm desperately hoping they don't try and total it on me, because honestly I have way more into this thing than book value I'm sure. Time to start looking for transmissions and T cases.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 pm

update. went and looked at the truck. body actually doesnt look bad. front fender is scarred, light is popped out. big bumper is bent to one side, possibly just shifted on the mounts, but likely bent somewhere.

the roverparts oversize tire turned out to be a savior for the back door, the original carrier just tore itsself open and the tire is just hanging there now, but the door doesnt look too bad.

rear bumper and lights are smashed to shit.

all 4 brakes are locked up on it. not possible to evaluate anything mechanical at this time.

did a KBB.Com on it and value is anywhere between 6900-7900 depending on condition which is a surprise.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Man thats terrible, sorry to hear it! At least the KBB price is decent.. If it is totaled take the $$, part your truck and build a D1 Very Happy

For real though - hope truck is salvageable and you get some good money for the damages.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Jake wrote:
Man thats terrible, sorry to hear it! At least the KBB price is decent.. If it is totaled take the $$, part your truck and build a D1 Very Happy

For real though - hope truck is salvageable and you get some good money for the damages.

yeah that was one of the possibilities. the problem is I'm looking around Discoweb and a lot of the prices are super high. I'll have to check whats local (within 3 hours) and see what kind of D1s i could find.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 12:46 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:

yeah that was one of the possibilities. the problem is I'm looking around Discoweb and a lot of the prices are super high. I'll have to check whats local (within 3 hours) and see what kind of D1s i could find.

I just picked up a MINT 99 the other day for a buddy in Dallastown $1500.. They are out there
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:18 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:

I just picked up a MINT 99 the other day for a buddy in Dallastown $1500.. They are out there

keep your eyes peeled. you seem to have a real knack for finding these things and i may need you in the future. 2 cases of beer finders fee.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm

My disco smashed while parked...  418537_10100573093123723_14204447_50800417_571824919_n

picture of my dads truck. this is the end that slammed into my disco. the rear end is also beat pretty hard where the audi hit it
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 pm

wow that sucks man.... i have a d2 that I'm getting this week but its most likely going to be ripped to shreds. ill let you know if anything changes
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:00 pm

They will probably total it. Don't accept what the insurance companies offer. Show them copies of receipts of all the aftermarket upgrades. The payout is negotiable.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
They will probably total it. Don't accept what the insurance companies offer. Show them copies of receipts of all the aftermarket upgrades. The payout is negotiable.

yeah i will certainly not be accepting any old payoff. i have bills to pay and they're going to cover everything that is into this truck.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 am

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:

keep your eyes peeled. you seem to have a real knack for finding these things and i may need you in the future. 2 cases of beer finders fee.

I don't drink but I will keep an eye out - Hopefully it doesn't come to that but I guess the moral of the story is that at the end of the day vehicles can always be replaced. I am just thankful you were cruising up the street in the other direction when this all went down.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm

went and looked more today while giving the tow yard the release and cleaning some things out. front bumper is BENT not just misaligned, and front wheels appear to be pointing in separate directions... they MAY have driven it from one side of the yard to the other because yesterday it was parked one place, and today another about 60 feet away, they may also have just towed it there.

Spoke with geico adjuster today (my insurance) and we had a nice chat about what i'd like to do with it (keep it). He hadnt had a chance to really see it yet, but i explained my position regarding the transmission, and the fact that the bumper and tire carrier sacrificed themselves and really saved a lot of body damage etc. They will replace the bumper up to $1000 with another off roader (please send me some suggestions) and are not opposed to replacing the trans with a USED unit if thats what it takes. They related to me that they always use rebuilt trans or send the existing to be rebuilt because of the "depreciation factor" of a tranny which makes some sense.

The adjuster was really cool, and said he'd keep close tabs on it with me and we'd figure out a way if at all possible. so i'm feeling pretty good about it for the moment.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:56 pm

re bumper

http://www.hlcfab.com/products.php
or
http://www.rte-fab.com/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=36&TreeId=9

I like the RTE slimline or the HLC fab with A bar. I'd call Denny @ HLC first he's a good dude - I got my 3 link and old shocks off him
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 pm

i think the main thing is making sure the frame isnt bent... i know you put a lot into this truck, but if it's totaled and you buy it back you can just as easy find another truck dirt cheap and combine the two.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Jake, way to go on the HLC link. i forgot about that all together. That Abar bumper pictured on the red disco is FUCKING TITTIES.

I also like the plain RTE slimline. something about having the winch in an easy to access visible location appeals to me.

Ed - in regards to frame bending you're totally correct. my GF actually works with someone trying to unload a lifted D2 that doesnt run. The wife says "it needs catalytic converters and something"... so i'll have to call the husband, if all it needs is cats, i'll buy it and chop those bitches right off. I think it has 255/85s on it.

This whole ordeal has also left me wanting a 3in lift vs the 2 (plus 1inch spacers) that i have in there now. The shitty part is literally just spent all day saturday trying to squeeze those cock suckers in there.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake, way to go on the HLC link. i forgot about that all together. That Abar bumper pictured on the red disco is FUCKING TITTIES.

I also like the plain RTE slimline. something about having the winch in an easy to access visible location appeals to me.

Ed - in regards to frame bending you're totally correct. my GF actually works with someone trying to unload a lifted D2 that doesnt run. The wife says "it needs catalytic converters and something"... so i'll have to call the husband, if all it needs is cats, i'll buy it and chop those bitches right off. I think it has 255/85s on it.

This whole ordeal has also left me wanting a 3in lift vs the 2 (plus 1inch spacers) that i have in there now. The shitty part is literally just spent all day saturday trying to squeeze those cock suckers in there.

I also really like both of those bumpers and would have one or the other if I didnt have the slimline SG bumper I have now.

when you said "unload a lifted d2" I thought you meant a stolen truck I was like uhh I wouldnt post that online hahahaha
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

I also really like both of those bumpers and would have one or the other if I didnt have the slimline SG bumper I have now.

when you said "unload a lifted d2" I thought you meant a stolen truck I was like uhh I wouldnt post that online hahahaha

ha, maybe...
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 pm

a check for a bunch of grand is a gift when discos can be had for cheap and parts are whats expensive. This is gonna be awesome in the end. You'll end up with a dope rig one way or another
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Turf wrote:
a check for a bunch of grand is a gift when discos can be had for cheap and parts are whats expensive. This is gonna be awesome in the end. You'll end up with a dope rig one way or another

Exactly. You can get one with a blown engine for like $200. I got one for free and the engine iss fine.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Turf wrote:

Exactly. You can get one with a blown engine for like $200. I got one for free and the engine iss fine.

does it run?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
Turf wrote:

does it run?

Wont start. I think CPS
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
Turf wrote:

does it run?

Wont start. I think CPS

i think the one thats being offered to me has the same issue. but i wont tell the owners just in case i need to snag it cheap.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

geico adjuster "You know you have a lot of indicator lights up on your dash, has it always been like that?"

Me "uhhhh.... yes? I can explain ... blah blah blah blah blah. everything works fine"
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am

Too bad there isn't a land rover adjuster who knows all the crappy stuff these things do. "you know there's an extra fear selector on your center console???" yeah bro, it's my cdl
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 am

Turf wrote:
Too bad there isn't a land rover adjuster who knows all the crappy stuff these things do. "you know there's an extra fear selector on your center console???" yeah bro, it's my cdl

yeah i cant wait to hear what he says when he sees a ratchet extension sticking out through my console.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My disco smashed while parked...    My disco smashed while parked...  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My disco smashed while parked...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: