Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Out with rovers in with crack cocaine

Go down 
+5
Long Haul
Thebloody323
devildog01
Jake
jveen
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

Out with rovers in with crack cocaine Empty
PostSubject: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:38 pm

My damn truck did it to me again. Send it to the garage for routine work and get bad news. My p.o.s. needs a f'n head gasket. I want to smash the hell out it cause I just spent my "new truck" budget to pay it off early. I figured I'll save in the long run and instead of car payments+interest every month I can do an upgrade or 2 or save for a better on gas daily driver or another Rover. But that isn't happening now I got see if I can drive the p.o.s. home or more along the way my truck likes it have it towed, and only have 60 mi. left on my AAA. This can't happen in May or June when it isn't hard for me to get my hours no happens at the slowest time of the year. So stay tuned to A&E were you might catch a glimpse of yours truly smoking crack rocks and saying how a truck drove me to crack addiction. Hell it might be cheaper and better for me Laughing .Or maybe I'll be on CNN tomorrow, so when you hear breaking news of Walmart employee massacring fellow coworkers, for being told for the millionth time that he should have bought a Jeep that's me. Rant over now to hit the Atlantic British website for Parts haha. cheers
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Get the head gasket kit from Will Tillery. Includes remanned heads and kit for $510 and includes label to ship old beds back. Just did this on a buddy's truck.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Quote :
Get the head gasket kit from Will Tillery. Includes remanned heads and kit for $510 and includes label to ship old beds back. Just did this on a buddy's truck.
Did not know that thanks Jake I talked to Trevor about doing heads in that RRC that guy had for sale on here at the end of last year he said 2k for everything. So when I seen need head gasket I wasn't happy. Dan said it could be the h.g. or a bad block. I am not to mechanical so a head job seems a bit daunting. But I'll give will a call after I find out if its the heads or something else.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:38 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :
Did not know that thanks Jake I talked to Trevor about doing heads in that RRC that guy had for sale on here at the end of last year he said 2k for everything. So when I seen need head gasket I wasn't happy. Dan said it could be the h.g. or a bad block. I am not to mechanical so a head job seems a bit daunting. But I'll give will a call after I find out if its the heads or something else.

Call me tomorrow I'll help you save your rover and not become a crack head
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Are you the NELRC disco mike i have a GBR propshaft. hahaha Thanks Jake
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Hey Disco Jake, if the kid wants to smoke crack let him get his crack on.Btw Dan Chapman has a set of 4.6 internals for sale for $500.Go big or go home.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm

devildog01 wrote:
Hey Disco Jake, if the kid wants to smoke crack let him get his crack on.Btw Dan Chapman has a set of 4.6 internals for sale for $500.Go big or go home.

I know I saw that... And be careful what you say JT! I might ban you
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Quote :

I seen that.(But shitty check this week.) I guess that means there isn't an aftermarket supplier of 4.6 internals. Also i got to worry about getting it home he said driving it might crack the block. Jake I am going to be jumping between departments at work for hours so I might not call till after 8 if that's a problem let me know.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 am

jveen wrote:
Quote :

I seen that.(But shitty check this week.) I guess that means there isn't an aftermarket supplier of 4.6 internals. Also i got to worry about getting it home he said driving it might crack the block. Jake I am going to be jumping between departments at work for hours so I might not call till after 8 if that's a problem let me know.

uhh was your truck overheating? I take it Dan is a guy who works for Trevor? You can call me after 8 not a problem

and you can buy new 4.6 internals but you can pretty much add another 0 to that 500. I'm just save and wait until Tillery has another rebuilt 4.6.. or maybe save more and get a 300TDI
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:38 am

Quote :

uhh was your truck overheating? I take it Dan is a guy who works for Trevor? You can call me after 8 not a problem

and you can buy new 4.6 internals but you can pretty much add another 0 to that 500. I'm just save and wait until Tillery has another rebuilt 4.6.. or maybe save more and get a 300TDI

No it never over heated but i had that leaking coolant problem 2 months back which was the h2o pump. but never overheated before or after the fix i was on top of the leak making sure it didnt run w/o coolant or over heat. That is the thing that gets me, but Dan it is "compression leaking from the head gasket between the head and the block". I was researching the 4.6 and just the connecting rods were more than what D Chapman had for sale. Will an Merc Diesel work w/ D2 Hell maybe i'll run into a P38 at the junk yard (Dan is the guy that i think Ed bought his RRC off of. Keith is the guy that works for Trevor).
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:18 am

jveen wrote:

No it never over heated but i had that leaking coolant problem 2 months back which was the h2o pump. but never overheated before or after the fix i was on top of the leak making sure it didnt run w/o coolant or over heat. That is the thing that gets me, but Dan it is "compression leaking from the head gasket between the head and the block". I was researching the 4.6 and just the connecting rods were more than what D Chapman had for sale. Will an Merc Diesel work w/ D2 Hell maybe i'll run into a P38 at the junk yard (Dan is the guy that i think Ed bought his RRC off of. Keith is the guy that works for Trevor).

You must be careful when swapping out the original engine for something different. You'll need to re-register the vehicle with the new engine because according to PENDOT the the engine doesn't match the VIN it is not legal. If you get into an accident and the insurance company finds out, you are fucked (I mean proper fucked). They can refuse to cover you or any medical/legal expenses, don't worry though from what I have read (I plan to put a diesel in mine at some point) it isn't that hard to re-register the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am

jveen wrote:
Quote :

Any codes or anything else? Losing coolant aside from the leak? How did he come to the conclusion it's losing compression because of a bad head gasket? Did he do a compression test only or the smoke and or block test as well? If this were true I feel like you would have way more syntoms. How did he come to the conslusion you were going to crack your block because of this?

Dont use a junk yard engine if you do a swap. There is a reason it's in the junk yard Very Happy There are plenty of reputable parts guys who will do compression tests, block tests, send you videos of the engine running. The last thing you want to do is spend time or money swaping in a POS engine that lasts a month. Hell Marty had two 4.6's on dweb for 2K, may not be an amazing price but if thats what you're gonna spend on a head gasket on an engine that may have low compression to begin with it's worth it.

If it is a head gasket issue a head gasket job is not hard. Especially compared to rebuilding a 4.0 with 4.6 internals.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:56 am

Thebloody323 wrote:
jveen wrote:

You must be careful when swapping out the original engine for something different. You'll need to re-register the vehicle with the new engine because according to PENDOT the the engine doesn't match the VIN it is not legal. If you get into an accident and the insurance company finds out, you are fucked (I mean proper fucked). They can refuse to cover you or any medical/legal expenses, don't worry though from what I have read (I plan to put a diesel in mine at some point) it isn't that hard to re-register the vehicle.

Thats funny, I swapped a new engine in over the winter and havent re-registered. It's just another 4.0 so nothing crazy. Do you have to register it at a "modified vehicle" and have an enhanced inspection shop inspect it?
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am

devildog01 wrote:

Why stop at 4.6? Build a 5.2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 am

Jake wrote:

Thats funny, I swapped a new engine in over the winter and havent re-registered. It's just another 4.0 so nothing crazy. Do you have to register it at a "modified vehicle" and have an enhanced inspection shop inspect it?

I think you are good, it's the same type of engine that came with the vehicle. Your VIN says "4.0 V8", it's only when you change the engine so that it is different to what the VIN states it is do you have to worry about re-registering as a modified vehicle. You also can not put an older model year engine in your vehicle so if you want to throw a diesel the oldest you can put in there is an engine from your model year.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 am

Long Haul wrote:
devildog01 wrote:

Hahaha I'm gonna let you build yours first. But after watching this video I may have to get a 300TDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrc2HFzxq4

Listen to that thing it's an animal

and then there is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kijK7at4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxGapCFuR-c&feature=related

hard choices

Last edited by Jake on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:07 am

Jake wrote:
Long Haul wrote:
devildog01 wrote:

Hahaha I'm gonna let you build yours first. But after watching this video I may have to get a 300TDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrc2HFzxq4

Listen to that thing it's an animal

They are awesome, my dad has one in his 64 109", although we still have to get the dam thing onto the new chassis.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:11 am

@ Jake I am going to take it to Trevor see what he says. Dan said that it could burn a groove in the cylinder wall and it can blow out. does the engine management system matter GEMS/BOUSH(sic) with the 4 .6. parts (will GEMS parts work w/my BOUSH) I am trying to look at it long term will i get a return on investment cause of the rusty fame. I am thinking if i will be doing the 4.6. I will have to go all in w/4.6 and and refub the frame that is looking a good route cause then I will have a truck for years to come.But just the cost that is bothering me right now. It just this couldn't have come a a worse time me and my g/f of over 2 1/2 years broke up so now I am trying to figure out what to cover all the bills fix the truck and find a daily driver. But the only sure thing that I can do know is get it home then worry about the path I chose
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:13 am

I like the D90 with the 5.3 but doing that swap would have a cheap engine and blowup diffs hahaha
That 300 TDI sound like a fucking beast
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am

jveen wrote:
@ Jake I am going to take it to Trevor see what he says. Dan said that it could burn a groove in the cylinder wall and it can blow out. does the engine management system matter GEMS/BOUSH(sic) with the 4 .6. parts (will GEMS parts work w/my BOUSH) I am trying to look at it long term will i get a return on investment cause of the rusty fame. I am thinking if i will be doing the 4.6. I will have to go all in w/4.6 and and refub the frame that is looking a good route cause then I will have a truck for years to come.But just the cost that is bothering me right now. It just this couldn't have come a a worse time me and my g/f of over 2 1/2 years broke up so now I am trying to figure out what to cover all the bills fix the truck and find a daily driver. But the only sure thing that I can do know is get it home then worry about the path I chose

Yea I dont know what that Dan guy is talking about.. If you're losing compression it would overpressurize your cooling system causing you to overheat - We can talk more about this later

You COULD put 4.6 internals into your 4.0 because the block is the same between the 4.0 and 4.6 but you have to remember if you're in there that deep you're doing all new bearings, new cam, new tappets, new push rods, and new gaskets and probably other things I am forgetting so it ends up being pretty pricey.

Sorry to hear about your luck lately - hopefully you'll get it all worked out in no time.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Definately get a second opinion. are there any other symtoms? Exhaust gas in coolant, coolant in oil, etc? How much coolant is it losing?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
Definately get a second opinion. are there any other symtoms? Exhaust gas in coolant, coolant in oil, etc? How much coolant is it losing?

exactly. you have milkshake oil? or a puddle in your driveway?
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Dano G.
Mud Tire Addict
Dano G.

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey guys
His headgasket actually is leaking combustion out between the block and head, not into the cooling system ,I originally thought it was a blown out manifold gasket because it sounds like an exaust leak and replaced it but when I fired it back up I still had a the leak after feeling around a little closer,and burning my hand a few times, I found it at the headgasket by cyl. 3 . I had a customer who kept driving with a similar leak and it torched a groove from the combustion chamber out...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Dano G. wrote:
Hey guys
His headgasket actually is leaking combustion out between the block and head, not into the cooling system ,I originally thought it was a blown out manifold gasket because it sounds like an exaust leak and replaced it but when I fired it back up I still had a the leak after feeling around a little closer,and burning my hand a few times, I found it at the headgasket by cyl. 3 . I had a customer who kept driving with a similar leak and it torched a groove from the combustion chamber out...

What did you find at cyl 3 for compression? I am guessing you did a leak down test or smoke test to confirm this as well? I just dont get how the head gasket would be essentially completely blown and there wouldn't be any other symptoms, the most obvious to me being a misfire on that cylinder due to it having a leak large enough to feel by your hand while the engine is running.

Do you have pics from the engine that torched a groove thru the block? I am curious to know/see why this happened.

Always learning!
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:33 pm

Dan don't mind Jake he is is putting 44'' tires on his disco to compensate for his inadiquate drivivng skills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out with rovers in with crack cocaine   Out with rovers in with crack cocaine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out with rovers in with crack cocaine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next