Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

FINALLY!! I got a welder

Go down 
+2
SPAS12
Jake
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

FINALLY!! I got a welder Empty
PostSubject: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I got one

FINALLY!! I got a welder Photo910

Hobart "Handler" 210 MVP It wasnt cheap but should be able to do anything I could ever want to do. And it has a multi voltage plug adapter so I can use it on 115 or 230.

Cant wait to play with it, need to build me a nice bench and find somewhere to put that too.. I need a garage!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Nice! I have one, but need to get the gas for it to do some cleaner, stronger welds.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:50 pm

SPAS12 wrote:
Nice! I have one, but need to get the gas for it to do some cleaner, stronger welds.

Same here, gonna play around with it for a while and get used to it. Got a couple projected to finish up like putting end caps on my sliders. Also just ordered all the parts to make turf an adjustable panhard rod
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Looks like my search for someone to fab me sliders has ended Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 am

jveen wrote:

yea man thats a little bit bigger of a project than what I can take on now but let me get some practice in and I'm sure I'll be ready to do it in a month or two.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 am

Quote :
jveen wrote:

yea man thats a little bit bigger of a project than what I can take on now but let me get some practice in and I'm sure I'll be ready to do it in a month or two.

If you need something to practice on you can beef up my ARB so it wont bend when winching
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:33 am

jveen wrote:
Quote :
jveen wrote:

If you need something to practice on you can beef up my ARB so it wont bend when winching

The winch trays on those bumpers are fairly stout it's just everything else that isnt. I can do whatever you would like but I'd say trim it as much as you can and then reinforce it. I'm trying to find pics of somebody who has done it before but cant for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :
jveen wrote:

you're ARB bent when you were winching? mine hasn't bent yet. i winched more than a few times. hell once i winched for about 45 mins straight to get Jake up a hill in the rain.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
jveen wrote:
Quote :
jveen wrote:

you're ARB bent when you were winching? mine hasn't bent yet. i winched more than a few times. hell once i winched for about 45 mins straight to get Jake up a hill in the rain.

haha I was barely stuck that time, that was more of an endurance test for your winch than strength test of your bumper.

If JT already bent that ARB I'd be impressed. My guess is he has just read online that they arent the strongest and worried it will bend.

The times that I have been stuck I have never been as stuck as Brian F was in the pines that one time. Of course it's because I have a winch and recovery gear now.
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 pm

I am thinking of fabricating a roof rack similar to the Brown Church, I just need to get a decent pipe bender.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

we got him out though!
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
we got him out though!

I dont even remember how I just remember failing for what seemed like 4 hours straight.

I am thinking the 95 D1 needs some floors and a roll cage. I may just make it a fun trials/trailer truck. One that I dont have to ever let off the gas pedal when I'm about to flip Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
we got him out though!

I dont even remember how I just remember failing for what seemed like 4 hours straight.

I am thinking the 95 D1 needs some floors and a roll cage. I may just make it a fun trials/trailer truck. One that I dont have to ever let off the gas pedal when I'm about to flip Very Happy

yeah get rid of all the glass and cut that roof off and the back quarters. lighten that thing up
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
we got him out though!

yeah get rid of all the glass and cut that roof off and the back quarters. lighten that thing up

It may happen but I need something to push me to start it. Maybe a plasma cutter? haha

I would need a bender as well. On the flip side, honestly if I got a new headlight and a VSS I could probably get it back on the road.
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Jake wrote:

It may happen but I need something to push me to start it. Maybe a plasma cutter? haha

I would need a bender as well. On the flip side, honestly if I got a new headlight and a VSS I could probably get it back on the road.

I say just go at it with a Sawzall, what's the worst that can happen?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Thebloody323 wrote:
Jake wrote:

I say just go at it with a Sawzall, what's the worst that can happen?

HA! I could be bad. Me and a sawzall = usually cuttting wayyyy to much
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

straight tubes with good welds at corners are stronger then bent tubes anyway. just go for it.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
straight tubes with good welds at corners are stronger then bent tubes anyway. just go for it.

Yea I guess the first step should be take the grinder to the floors and see where I end up before I decide either way. I should finish that part first and get some decent seats in there.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Quote :
Hilltoppersx wrote:
jveen wrote:
Quote:
jveen wrote:

haha I was barely stuck that time, that was more of an endurance test for your winch than strength test of your bumper.

If JT already bent that ARB I'd be impressed. My guess is he has just read online that they arent the strongest and worried it will bend.

The times that I have been stuck I have never been as stuck as Brian F was in the pines that one time. Of course it's because I have a winch and recovery gear now

Bingo I was looking for mounting tips and got pix and stories of them being garbage.

Jake may be side job Jake's Fab
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:39 pm

FINALLY!! I got a welder Attachment

Yes thats an ARB you may have to zoom to get full effect. I actually think it looks better without all that extra metal hanging down
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Made the jig for adjustable panhard.
FINALLY!! I got a welder Jiggym10

It's similar to the one Teledan made last year except I ordered 1.5" .25 wall for the sleeve, (Turfs is gonna be the test dummy) got all the other parts from Dan @ Ruff Stuff and going to use an FK rod end which is the best of the best. I plan adding to the jig so I can weld the tube adapter to the panhard before I sleeve it with the DOM. Should be good money will post some pics once the parts get here. IF (kinda big if) I do end up making more of these they will probabably cost a little but more than the ones Dan made BUT I will be using the best shit I can find..
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am

Stan welded some angle iron across the crush cans on mine/Brett's/Kerry's ARB, so that the crush cans dont expand when winching. The crush cans were also welded directly to the bumper to stiffen it up.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Stuff for adjustable panhard showed up today

Tube adapter, jam nut, high misalignment spacers 1.5" .25 wall dom which is for sure overkill but I love it.. Probably gonna cut off about 6" which means I will have another 12" left of the tube which means 2 more will probably be made in the future.

FINALLY!! I got a welder Panhar11
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 2:48 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
Stan welded some angle iron across the crush cans on mine/Brett's/Kerry's ARB, so that the crush cans dont expand when winching. The crush cans were also welded directly to the bumper to stiffen it up.

i dont have the ARB compatiable so the crush cans were thrown out when i mounted mine. wonder how that affects strength
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 3:09 pm

When people talk about the arb's bending, it's typically in the crush cans on the airbag compliant types.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY!! I got a welder   FINALLY!! I got a welder I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FINALLY!! I got a welder
Page 1 of 1