Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Front end vibration

Go down 
+2
devildog01
ajk150
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ajk150
ABS Modulator Fondler
ajk150

Front end vibration Empty
PostSubject: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Hey guys so i have a question for you. I have a pretty bad front end vibration, and i've had two different mechanics look at the car and one says its bad wheel bearings while the other said the issue was that the front driveshaft was worn at the rear joint. The problem used to happen at low end speeds from 30-50, but now the problem only occurs on the highway at around 70-80 mph. I don't really want to spend and arm and a leg at the shop and if i can i would like to do this myself. But i'm unsure on what the actual noise is. Also i noticed a little bit of play on the F/driveshaft close to the T-case. There is a very slight wiggle. If anyone has had this issue before let me know. Since buying the car in Nov. i have not replaced any Driveshaft nor do i know if they have been done recently, but i have put 13k on the car since buying it, putting the total miles to 77k. If anyone has had this issue before let me know, i would love to get this fixed this week so i can attend this weekend.
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Buy a new/rebuild drive shaft now or buy a driveshaft and tranny very soon.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 5:50 pm

devildog01 wrote:
Buy a new/rebuild drive shaft now or buy a driveshaft and tranny very soon.

x2. If you have any play in the drive shaft, rebuild or replace it immediately.
Back to top Go down
Vader
Questions DiscoMike
Vader

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm

x3, but I'd get the wheel berings checked just to be safe, or it could cost you more $ in the future than just berings.
Back to top Go down
ajk150
ABS Modulator Fondler
ajk150

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:08 am

Ok sounds good, next question is what do you guys recommend for driveshaft. I've heard that replacing it with the original isn't always the best, that there are better driveshafts out there that are cheaper. Any suggestions. I'll be doing my own research on this, but its always good to have any idea going in
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 am

I went with a Tom Woods DS that I picked up through Will Tillery.

Will knows the correct measurements for the front drive shafts for most of the common lifts, so I didn't even have to go take measurements. (This was a big plus as I was ordering it in January!)
Back to top Go down
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Tom Woods.Done and done.
Back to top Go down
ajk150
ABS Modulator Fondler
ajk150

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:37 pm

I keep hearing Tom Woods are the way to go, i guess that makes my decision easier. Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
ajk150
ABS Modulator Fondler
ajk150

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Ok so i just ordered a new F/driveshaft from Tom Woods, so it should be hear next thursday. Being as this is my DD, would you guys so its ok to drive on for another week? Or would it be better to pull out the F/driveshaft and shift the CDL on and drive around in 2wd? Which one do you guys think would have the least chance of causing something to break?
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 pm

PULL THE FRONT DS!!! lock the CDL and go easy on the pedal off the stops so u dont crack the rotoflex.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Quote :
Ok so i just ordered a new F/driveshaft from Tom Woods, so it should be hear next thursday. Being as this is my DD, would you guys so its ok to drive on for another week? Or would it be better to pull out the F/driveshaft and shift the CDL on and drive around in 2wd? Which one do you guys think would have the least chance of causing something to break?

I drove around with the CDL locked for a week or 2 when I had to pull my front shaft. Just easy on the gas like ED said
Back to top Go down
ajk150
ABS Modulator Fondler
ajk150

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Ok sounds good. I have a day off today anyway so i'll just pull it now. Thanks again guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front end vibration   Front end vibration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front end vibration
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: