Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Opinions on this skidplate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

Opinions on this skidplate Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 pm

What do you guys think of this skidplate? At least it's something and at a good price.

http://www.columbiaoverland.com/product/discovery-ii-aluminum-fuel-tank-skid-plate
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm

its awesome! i have their ss gate panel and it's made great. i have looked at that gas tank skid at least 10 times and thought about getting it.. i need new diff guards first
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, I likey too. I need diff guards as well, I'm looking at the QT ones with the skidplate deal on it. I hear that the bolt on ones always have issues though.

Rocker guards are on that same list too, especially with my minimal lift. I gotta get some of this stuff before the next trip to Rausch. I don't feel like spending $600+ on rocker guards though.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 pm

I agree the frame mounted ones would be best. How do yours mount? I do like how the bars come out from the body a bit.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 pm

SPAS12 wrote:
I agree the frame mounted ones would be best. How do yours mount? I do like how the bars come out from the body a bit.

yeah the nerfs are nice. they actually have helped me on the rocks at Rausch and also as a jacking point for the hi-lift.

mine mount around the sill and have some 1/2" bolts like 10 or 12 per side that go thru the sill in holes you drill and then pop-rivets thru the bottom
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 pm

[quote="Hilltoppersx"]
SPAS12 wrote:

I have RTE sill mount and I have used them hard, real hard. My one rocker is bent in pretty good. Having said that, I am not the most skilled driver and have done some bonehead moves. As it is, I am not concerned as my truck is for off-road only.

The nerfs have saved my doors a couple times. My son figured out how to crush my right rear door in anyway...
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 am

SPAS12 wrote:
What do you guys think of this skidplate? At least it's something and at a good price.

http://www.columbiaoverland.com/product/discovery-ii-aluminum-fuel-tank-skid-plate

I'd steer clear of an aluminum tank skid. I have one made by Bearmach from T6, and a good hard shot from a rock has introduced a good bend to it. Aluminum is great for many applications, but some are just better in steel.

As for diff guards, I run the QT bolt on one on my front diff. It's great.

When it comes to sliders, think about how hard you're going to wheel the truck. I have frame mounted sliders w/tree bars and have dropped the weight of the truck on them a number of times without ever having a problem. My bars are heavy duty enough to allow me to lean the truck over onto them and pivot when necessary...not something I'd ever try with a sill mounted slider. If you're looking to come out and play hard, frame mounted sliders are worth the extra $$$...
Back to top Go down
ajk150
ABS Modulator Fondler
ajk150

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-II-RockArmor-Rock-Sliders-99-04-/290727938562?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b0bc4a02&vxp=mtr

those are the sliders i have.

How do you like these sliders? Any cons, i know i would beat them up pretty good but there are a ton of times i've needed them, specially when i'm out west. This is one of those many moments i wish i had them... Opinions on this skidplate Pb3

oh and yes i had those dinky plastic side pieces on my truck for this fun...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on this skidplate   Opinions on this skidplate I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this skidplate
Page 1 of 1