Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Truck overheats at idle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Truck overheats at idle Empty
PostSubject: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Posted this up on dweb earlier figured maybe somebody here would be able to provide feedback

My truck has had a tough summer so far overheating left and right. Replaced stat and fan clutch. Not it's fine when I drive non stop but once I let it stop or idle for long the needle climbs. My guess is water pump or radiator except pump isn't making noise everything seems normal. Going to pick up a rad this weekend but some additional insight or advice is always appreciated.

Oh and yes my fan is point the right way so don't ask.

Thanks

Trying to get the car working tomorrow so I can make it up to Randys and get that radiator.. Thinking about doing a prestone rad flush on my current in the mean time. Just dont like putting chemicals through my cooling system...
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 am

I would put a new water pump on it since youll have the rad out, its not hard to do but at least you wont have to bleed the system out again. I have a damn good rad shop not to far from me.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:40 pm

might as well double check your hoses for dry rot while you have eveyrthing else off...
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
might as well double check your hoses for dry rot while you have eveyrthing else off...

Did this last time I flushed the rad. Might try to replace radiator before water pump just to save some money right now. Need to get my steering rods done today so I can get an alignment.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 pm

New discoveries

So today I decided to clean my engine. Realized there is some red sealant around my water pump which makes me think previous owner replaced it.

2nd I let my truck heat up to normal running temperature and I didnt seem to have much pressure im my cooling system. Also my top and bottom hoses were fairly soft. Mind you I have replaced my t-stat so there is a slight chance it's stuck open. Going to replace the cap and see if that gets me anywhere..

On a positive note it didnt over heat and idle but I also didnt drive it.

I will keep a closer eye on my coolant level.

Any suggestions or feed back?
Back to top Go down
airbornrover
ABS Modulator Fondler

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

There was a thread about this on the D90 site as well I believe. Might want to check if your cats have collapsed. How many miles/hard or easy driving does it have? Theres nothing wrong with using the prestone flushing system, its that copper liquid crap that will give your cooling system a problem. If you have the time I would just have your radiator rodded as well. Rare but does happen is the propeller on the water pump can corrode so that the fins are just nubs. Most of my overheating knowledge comes from D90's.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:07 pm

airbornrover wrote:
There was a thread about this on the D90 site as well I believe. Might want to check if your cats have collapsed. How many miles/hard or easy driving does it have? Theres nothing wrong with using the prestone flushing system, its that copper liquid crap that will give your cooling system a problem. If you have the time I would just have your radiator rodded as well. Rare but does happen is the propeller on the water pump can corrode so that the fins are just nubs. Most of my overheating knowledge comes from D90's.

I tapped the cats but they seem to be solid and fine. I also notice coolant comes from fill plug when running. Water pump seems to be working but that would seem to mean rad is clogged. I'm going to get a working used one for now. See if that fixes it. My truck has just under 105 miles. I think the first owner let it sit and never flushed the rad. Second owner took great care of the truck.

Im going to also replace the cap on overflow when I put it all back together.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 pm

SO - water pump check out. New radiator installed. waiting on a water pump gasket and then I will flush it multiple times before putting it to the test. WISH ME LUCK!
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 am

Here's an update on this -

Pulled the water pump and it was in fine working condition. put it back on resealed with new gasket. Put the new radiator I got from randy that was a slightly used new one with like 10k miles on it. Ran prestone flush for 2 days. re filled with water after that ran it, flushed it and in the bottom of the bucket I found some reside. Looked to be old chunks of maybe my old radiator? I'm thinking since my radiator was overflowing when it was running normal it was a block somewhere AFTER my radiator.

Either way! My truck has been running fine, no overheating SO FAR :knocks on wood: I cant wait for a super hot day to test it out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Truck overheats at idle   Truck overheats at idle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Truck overheats at idle
Page 1 of 1