Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Camping Gear

Go down 
+3
KingKong8247
apatrizzi
Jake
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Camping Gear - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 8:38 pm

I picked up a 2" thick one from dicks for like $50.. Got that some wigwam socks and arctic thermal pants.. I should be good to go.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Maybe I'll pick up a few of those cheap mylar space blankets. I was going to stop at dicks and get a few handwarmers anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:26 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
Maybe I'll pick up a few of those cheap mylar space blankets. I was going to stop at dicks and get a few handwarmers anyway.

I got a couple of those too and toe warmers
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 12:05 am

They're good to throw in your sleeping bag about an hour before you goto sleep. Nice to have it warm before you get in it.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 12:20 am

durt d1ver wrote:
They're good to throw in your sleeping bag about an hour before you goto sleep. Nice to have it warm before you get in it.

Yea I figure with those the heater new pad mummy bag and thermals I should be pretty cozy
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 am

Brian i have a 10 pack of mylar space blankets, also got a 14 foot telescoping flag pole!
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 pm

I must say the tent heater, plus the pad, sleeping bags and hand/toe warmers I woke up very warm both days. Actually slept in because of the carbon monoxide Very Happy
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 am

No, you slept in because you're a lazy bearded hippy.

I was plenty warm. Mike on the other hand, was miserable.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 10:34 am

durt d1ver wrote:
No, you slept in because you're a lazy bearded hippy.

I was plenty warm. Mike on the other hand, was miserable.

HAHAHA i thought it was funny. I took Mike campin for the first time in early September. so this was only his second time camping. he really appreciatd using ur bag that second night. i have it in my posession if you need it before Jan let me know.

I can't decide if i want this

http://www.tetonsports.com/TETON-Sports-cot-tent.html

or something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Instant-Foot-Person-Room/dp/B003QUT9OE

or maybe both...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:08 am

The cot tent is a cool idea but looks super small. I want a bigger 4 season instant tent. That would be the best.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:20 am

Jake wrote:
The cot tent is a cool idea but looks super small. I want a bigger 4 season instant tent. That would be the best.

im yet to see a 4 season instant. usually the instants are a little thinner in the material because the poles are collapsible so cant hold the weight. if you find one let me know. ill have to read reviews of something like that before i dive in.

i like the cot one because it would be perfect for jackie and I. no room for gear in there but i dont care, i could put the whole thing on the roof if i needed to.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:29 am

I like my jungle hammock for warmer weather 1 person camping. That gigantic coleman tent looks awesome though.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Jake wrote:

im yet to see a 4 season instant. usually the instants are a little thinner in the material because the poles are collapsible so cant hold the weight. if you find one let me know. ill have to read reviews of something like that before i dive in.

i like the cot one because it would be perfect for jackie and I. no room for gear in there but i dont care, i could put the whole thing on the roof if i needed to.

Yea I'm only dreaming.. Target has a 3 season Coleman instant that's made with some heavy duty material to keep you dry. Not sure if it's the same one you posted but it's like $200.

Can you use just the cot mattress and tent on your rack? That would be the way to go. Except when lugging it up there and setting it up and tearing down.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 am

Just buy a roof top tent, you know you want one to justify your roof rack as more than a holder for one million lights.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 am

Jake wrote:
Hilltoppersx wrote:
Jake wrote:

Yea I'm only dreaming.. Target has a 3 season Coleman instant that's made with some heavy duty material to keep you dry. Not sure if it's the same one you posted but it's like $200.

Can you use just the cot mattress and tent on your rack? That would be the way to go. Except when lugging it up there and setting it up and tearing down.

yeah i could wouldnt be as comfy though. i could be real ghetto and just put a mattress up there wrapped in a tarp to keep it dry. lol. my parents are throwing out their tempurpedic so i could just cut it to size.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 am

durt d1ver wrote:
Just buy a roof top tent, you know you want one to justify your roof rack as more than a holder for one million lights.

its also got my hi-lift up there! and soon my shovel and the new axe i plan on buying. would be nice to have some kind of case like jill has where i can put them all in there to keep em dry and rust free. i also plan on building some shelving system for the back of my truck.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:

its also got my hi-lift up there! and soon my shovel and the new axe i plan on buying. would be nice to have some kind of case like jill has where i can put them all in there to keep em dry and rust free. i also plan on building some shelving system for the back of my truck.

She said they were some kind us US surplus chests she got from colemans i believe.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/medical-transport-chest-us-gi-aluminum-p-1279.html
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 11:47 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:

Yea.. Hilift, tools, 50 lights, mattress, 2 people on that rack might be a bit much. If it was just you I could see it. My organizational system in my truck needs to be figured out as well. I have shit everywhere. I need a couple shelves and a tool box on top.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:01 pm

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/2686576304.html

buy that, and build an expedition trailer, like gus did.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Or, If you want to do alot of camping out of your truck, we should build a chuck box, or patrol box for the rear. Essentially its a big wooden box that holds all of your cooking and camping gear, and folds down to a work surface also. We could custom it to your truck. Look around online, and we can design something like this: (excuse the crude drawing)

Camping Gear - Page 2 Edscamping

Essentially, keep the box to the left, and the front folds town to a table. The table we install on the door panel also folds down, and they meet and lock together. With everything folded up, you have the area to the right of the box to keep readily needed recovery gear, etc.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 1:37 pm

i was planning on doing something exactly like that on the door. the damn metal is so expensive though.. maybe i was looking at the wrong crap. i was thinking of just ordering another door panel like hte one i have and hinge it right to the existing. then its already cut and everything.

im thinking the rear storage tubs have to go next so i can actually get in there and start measuring and making something useful.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 2:11 pm

[quote="durt d1ver"]
Hilltoppersx wrote:

She said they were some kind us US surplus chests she got from colemans i believe.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/medical-transport-chest-us-gi-aluminum-p-1279.html

Yep, those are the ones Jill had on her rack. You can also find them a little cheaper here: http://www.calarmy.com/BOXES.htm

If you're taking them off the truck on a regular basis, I've found that I prefer the Hardigg Medical cases though. lots of handles, wheels on 1 end, and dropping 1 off the roof isn't going to do any damage. (At least not to the case itself.)
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Instead of metal, If you were going to make a surface for cooking and cutting, I would use hdpe. You can buy one 48"x48"x1/2" sheet for about $120 and use it to make both the door shelf, and the shelf/door on the box. Plus, you can use regular woodworking tools with HDPE.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 3:42 pm

that's gotta be heavy as shit though! the door itself is about 48" i have the measurements at home.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm not sure how heavy it would be. Its the same material they make cutting boards out of. You could probably go with 1/4" thick sheeting, although you may need something to strengthen it, maybe a frame of angle aluminum to save weight. Over steel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camping Gear   Camping Gear - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Camping Gear
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next