Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz

Go down 
+4
Jake
DanC
dschramm
apatrizzi
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:
Jake wrote:

If it was gears your have a hole in your diff and your truck wouldn't be going anywhere.. My money is on drive shaft or tie rods but since it's dependent on hi/low I'd say drive line issue. U have original u joints?

Not necissarily. I was missing teeth on 3 spider gears, and chips out of the ring, along with the cross bin cracked in half and truning the casing hole into an oval. Everything held together for the most part, gut had lots of slack, and very noisy.

sounds like that would have been noisy even in a straight line and definitely wouldn't drive great, am I right?

the confusing part of mine is that it only "clunks" on full lock, in 4 hi and its not every revolution of the shaft or tires but only about 60% of the rotations. i guess one way to find it is to take the truck out and beat on it till something explodes. but we'll be putting it on stands tomorrow to examine everything and hopefully find the problem.

still want those 4.11s though, but only if i can have reverse cut front.

Brian - When you spun the wheels manually could you tell it was shot? I remember seeing the pic of that I think. Insane!

"the confusing part of mine is that it only "clunks" on full lock" - Are your tires hitting radius arms? Are you feeling it in the steering wheel? If not it's likely and hopefully a CV.. I dont see how turning would effect your Tcase..

nope, nothing in the wheel, and not hitting radius arms. I've got 2 spare CV's sitting in the back of the truck so i hope thats it. only problem is they came completely assembled with shafts and i bought 2 lefts (because they are out of rights) so i'll have to take one apart and put it on the right shaft. no big deal, just need to get that stupid tool for the clamps.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 10:04 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:
Jake wrote:

If it was gears your have a hole in your diff and your truck wouldn't be going anywhere.. My money is on drive shaft or tie rods but since it's dependent on hi/low I'd say drive line issue. U have original u joints?

Not necissarily. I was missing teeth on 3 spider gears, and chips out of the ring, along with the cross bin cracked in half and truning the casing hole into an oval. Everything held together for the most part, gut had lots of slack, and very noisy.

sounds like that would have been noisy even in a straight line and definitely wouldn't drive great, am I right?

the confusing part of mine is that it only "clunks" on full lock, in 4 hi and its not every revolution of the shaft or tires but only about 60% of the rotations. i guess one way to find it is to take the truck out and beat on it till something explodes. but we'll be putting it on stands tomorrow to examine everything and hopefully find the problem.

still want those 4.11s though, but only if i can have reverse cut front.

Brian - When you spun the wheels manually could you tell it was shot? I remember seeing the pic of that I think. Insane!

"the confusing part of mine is that it only "clunks" on full lock" - Are your tires hitting radius arms? Are you feeling it in the steering wheel? If not it's likely and hopefully a CV.. I dont see how turning would effect your Tcase..

nope, nothing in the wheel, and not hitting radius arms. I've got 2 spare CV's sitting in the back of the truck so i hope thats it. only problem is they came completely assembled with shafts and i bought 2 lefts (because they are out of rights) so i'll have to take one apart and put it on the right shaft. no big deal, just need to get that stupid tool for the clamps.

Well I wish you luck and hope you find the issue.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 11:54 pm

well its not front suspension, wheel bearings, hubs or any of that. something in the drive line for sure.

wasn't safe to put it up on jack stands and test with wheels turning, going to have to put it on a lift and see what we can accomplish.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 am

apatrizzi wrote:
well its not front suspension, wheel bearings, hubs or any of that. something in the drive line for sure.

wasn't safe to put it up on jack stands and test with wheels turning, going to have to put it on a lift and see what we can accomplish.

Hmm did you pull axles? You're 100% sure it's not drive shaft? front or rear? The majority of drive line noise I have ever had is drive shaft especially clunks. And if it's not the CV's I am curious..
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:19 am

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Hmm did you pull axles? You're 100% sure it's not drive shaft? front or rear? The majority of drive line noise I have ever had is drive shaft especially clunks. And if it's not the CV's I am curious..

it was getting dark too fast by the time we got panhard bushings and starter changed out (had to change starter 3 times thanks to a bad out of the box pep boys starter, a non fitting autozone starter, and finally a properly working pep boys starter again. so we're going to put it on the lift inside at another friends shop this week. I still am pretty sure its a CV axle but im the only "non pro" mechanic in the group. we'll see if I'm right weds.

the driveshaft visually looks good, i had it replaced by a local company that builds shafts and its pretty beefy. the REAR on the other hand, is still stock and original, so i'll take a closer look when its in the air but with the sound/motion seems to clearly be coming from the front outside corner turning i dont think its the rear driveshaft.

if it turns out to be the rear i'll be pleasantly surprised and put in the Ujoint unit i wanted for a while but couldn't justify buying because 'mine works fine right now'
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 am

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

it was getting dark too fast by the time we got panhard bushings and starter changed out (had to change starter 3 times thanks to a bad out of the box pep boys starter, a non fitting autozone starter, and finally a properly working pep boys starter again. so we're going to put it on the lift inside at another friends shop this week. I still am pretty sure its a CV axle but im the only "non pro" mechanic in the group. we'll see if I'm right weds.

the driveshaft visually looks good, i had it replaced by a local company that builds shafts and its pretty beefy. the REAR on the other hand, is still stock and original, so i'll take a closer look when its in the air but with the sound/motion seems to clearly be coming from the front outside corner turning i dont think its the rear driveshaft.

if it turns out to be the rear i'll be pleasantly surprised and put in the Ujoint unit i wanted for a while but couldn't justify buying because 'mine works fine right now'

Yea when my rear u joint went bad the sound was clearly coming from the rear. I guess you will (hopefully) know soon enough
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 am

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Yea when my rear u joint went bad the sound was clearly coming from the rear. I guess you will (hopefully) know soon enough

yep. hopefully weds night we'll find it. the up side is my new Tcase will be here "before end of day weds" and i have axles in the back of the truck. hopefully its one of those. The other option is busted spider gears in front diff that are actually locking the diff. which might be neat, but would keep me from driving it for a while which would really suck.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Broken transfer case...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Broken transfer case...

Oh snap! Pics or it didn't happen
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:29 am

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Broken transfer case...

new case hasnt arrived yet. busted case is still in there. once the new one is in and confirmed that it works, i'll take apart the old one and put some pics up.

on another note, check this pic out... chocolate milk anyone ?
Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 381960_10100373881969473_14204447_50070622_1670053867_n
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 1:49 pm

apatrizzi wrote:

Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 381960_10100373881969473_14204447_50070622_1670053867_n

Ouch! Might want to check out the breather on that axle...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:12 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Ouch! Might want to check out the breather on that axle...

Yup and I have a replacement diff if you need one..
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:34 am

other than a little extra play in the diff (turn one wheel a little more than usual before the other turns) its still running ok. ive found some diffs on ebay and such for about $75 complete which doesnt seem bad at all. i'm going to keep running with it like this for a while till i can recoup some of my "losses" on the truck and then pick up a new one.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Quote :
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Broken transfer case...

new case hasnt arrived yet. busted case is still in there. once the new one is in and confirmed that it works, i'll take apart the old one and put some pics up.

How did you get the drain plug out without destroying it.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 2:57 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Broken transfer case...

Those plastic drain plugs do suck. QT makes a diff plug that's metal and uses a 19mm socket..
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:
Broken transfer case...

its a 2 man operation. we rounded it off with the socket unfortunately, so we got vise grips and a big screw driver, and turned both at the same time and it came right out. i got some brass plugs at the local autozone for now, they dont leak but they stick out a little further than i'd like.

heres the link to the QT ones, i cant figure if the price is for 2 or just one though.
http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2200
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I believe that's each. Supposedly, It's a standard plumbing thread, and you might be able to get a plug at a plumbing supply, or HD/lowes.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 3:41 pm

if any of the plastic gets in the diff will it do damage?
I was going to order a pair of them but my bank acct was hacked or scammed.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 3:44 pm

jveen wrote:
if any of the plastic gets in the diff will it do damage?
I was going to order a pair of them but my bank acct was hacked or scammed.

How much plastic? You should be fine. My iTunes was hacked thursday $350 worth of shit went thru my paypal because of it...
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 4:35 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
I believe that's each. Supposedly, It's a standard plumbing thread, and you might be able to get a plug at a plumbing supply, or HD/lowes.

you're correct there, it is a standard pipe thread. i'll have to take a spin around the HD and see if i can find something that works a little better.

"they" also say these will work for $4 each.
http://www.rovahfarm.com/DiscoICooling.htm
ref # ERR4686B / Price $3.99

i've also heard rumors that the drain plug is the same thread and size as the fill plug, anyone have a verdict on this ?
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 2:30 am

Quote :

I seen them plugs at Home Depot just unsure about the size so I grabbed a 1/2in see if will fit when I change the diff fluid next.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 am

jveen wrote:
Quote :

I seen them plugs at Home Depot just unsure about the size so I grabbed a 1/2in see if will fit when I change the diff fluid next.

i would pull the fill plug first cuz if u drain ur fluid and it dont fit or you cant get the fill plug off u can't drive anywhere.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 2:04 pm

jveen wrote:
Quote :

Check the threading too. An easy trick is to let the threads on the old plug on top of the new plug and see if they go together. If not keep looking. That's one of the last holes you want to cross thread
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 am

well the old case is out, the new case is in. we got it all done last night with the exception of re-hanging the exhaust and rear shaft, and finding a way to get the cross brace back on the frame because all of the bolts holding it in snapped. we'll prob weld it or something... idk.

the old case grinds and binds very badly when turning by hand. honestly im surprised it wasnt making a lot more noise than it did (it made none except on extreme turns where it would bind and release violently)

The new case went in pretty easily, had all the right plugs, and even a plug for the CDL indicator was already hanging free on the truck? it shifts into hi/lo without any drama. all thats left now is to fill it with juice and we'll be in business.

unfortunately i dont have a pinion flange yet (ordered and shipped just not here) for my new rear shaft i got from jake... im excited to have it back on the road and will be trail riding it on sunday if all goes well.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 am

apatrizzi wrote:
well the old case is out, the new case is in. we got it all done last night with the exception of re-hanging the exhaust and rear shaft, and finding a way to get the cross brace back on the frame because all of the bolts holding it in snapped. we'll prob weld it or something... idk.

the old case grinds and binds very badly when turning by hand. honestly im surprised it wasnt making a lot more noise than it did (it made none except on extreme turns where it would bind and release violently)

The new case went in pretty easily, had all the right plugs, and even a plug for the CDL indicator was already hanging free on the truck? it shifts into hi/lo without any drama. all thats left now is to fill it with juice and we'll be in business.

unfortunately i dont have a pinion flange yet (ordered and shipped just not here) for my new rear shaft i got from jake... im excited to have it back on the road and will be trail riding it on sunday if all goes well.

sucks you wont have it done saturday! you could come wheeling with us sat night in the pines.
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz   Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broke something ... not sure what. Help Plz
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Truck Talk-
Jump to: