Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Uh-Oh... coolant explosion

Go down 
+2
LockenDIFF
DocFodge
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DocFodge
Brake Light Switch Repairman
DocFodge

Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion Empty
PostSubject: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Pulled up in front of my house after running some errands this morning and noticed the sweet smell burning coolant. Parked the car, shut off the engine (i did take a look at my temp gauge which was still reading normal) and got out to notice coolant pouring on to the ground underneath the middle of the vehicle. Crawled underneath and couldn't quite tell where it was originating from. The coolant seemed be following the path of the oil pan/transmission area and coming from somewhere just above there. Checked the water pump in the front and no wetness around there. Seems this is coming from somewhere on the back of the engine around the firewall area. Heater core maybe? Coolant reservoir is now empty.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:25 pm

... good thing I didn't make the trek to Rausch this morning.
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:22 pm

I think we have a head gasket pooper.....
Back to top Go down
LockenDIFF
The Man with the Tan
LockenDIFF

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:31 pm

aww man sorry to here.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:48 pm

DocFodge wrote:
I think we have a head gasket pooper.....

Likely that or valley pan. Sounds like same problem Brian F had
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Could a head gasket job be done in a day? Could do that along with the valley pan at the same time just to kill two birds. And may as well as replace everything else in its path with new parts so I don't have to go back in later.
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 pm

DocFodge wrote:
Could a head gasket job be done in a day? Could do that along with the valley pan at the same time just to kill two birds. And may as well as replace everything else in its path with new parts so I don't have to go back in later.

or sell it and buy a prius.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:27 pm

My head gasket went on the drivers side, at the rear of the engine, where you described. The problem is, with the intake manifold in there, you cant tell if its the valley pan or head gasket. You can do a valley pan in a day, but not a head gasket, because you would have to have the heads machined. But you wont know for sure what it is until you get down to the valley pan, and at that point, you might as well do the head gasket since your in that deep.

Although, Will Tillery has a deal going on right now where he'll send you a set of machined remanufactured heads. With new heads in hand, theoretically you could get it done in a day.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

durt d1ver wrote:

Although, Will Tillery has a deal going on right now where he'll send you a set of machined remanufactured heads. With new heads in hand, theoretically you could get it done in a day.

one very very long day especially if it's your first time ever opening it up
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Well, the Rover has been officially re-classified as a trail rig. Today it is being retired and becoming my hobby rig. Going to buy a regular daily driver and just use this for fun. I have a guy locally that I think can replace the heads for me, or, since I'm just going to get another DD I might try my hand at this since I can take my time and if it takes weeks and weeks, so be it. Might just try it myself first, I've got nothing to lose.

If anyone's looking for some practice you're more than welcome to join me in Wilmington some weekend. We can have some beers and grill some kind of formerly living animal and throw some BBQ sauce on it.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Let me know I'd be happy to help you out Fodge!
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 4:13 pm

You're just going through mechanics withdraw after completing 500 projects on your truck...LOL

Thanks man...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 pm

DocFodge wrote:
You're just going through mechanics withdraw after completing 500 projects on your truck...LOL

Thanks man...

No not quite! I just did a HG job like two weeks ago. Aftermarket stuff is more fun than mechanical fixes. But always willing to help. Since it's gonna be a trail only rig I'll bring the welder and coilovers too
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 pm

I can tow my truck down and we can have head gasket party.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 4:46 pm

You guys can have a head gasket-off and I'll watch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:00 am

If I wasn't on call and didn't have server maintenance this weekend I'd offer to be the tow rig (I also have torque wrenches) and have changed HG before just not on a Rover.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uh-Oh... coolant explosion   Uh-Oh...  coolant explosion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uh-Oh... coolant explosion
Page 1 of 1