Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

swaparoo, coolant and suggestions

Go down 
+5
Long Haul
apatrizzi
dcarr1971
durt d1ver
Jake
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

swaparoo, coolant and suggestions Empty
PostSubject: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:16 am

New engine on it's way from Joel on Monday from NC which means I need to get the old one out! Dave K is going to bring down the engine hoist so I can get it out of there. If anybody wants to help I will be working either Saturday or Sunday if not both to try to make as much progress as possible on it.. It would be amazing to have the new engine in and most everything bolts up by end of Sunday. If only I can remember where everything goes scratch

What coolant does everybody run? I am thinking about using something like what I put in my VW in this engine because it's supposed to be best for aluminum.

Gonna stick with Rotella for oil since I have like 4 jugs left and it seems to be the "best"..

Any other tips, tricks, pointers, suggestions?? Not sure how many of you guys have done this exact swap but I know a lot of you guys are into other cars, jeeps and what not too..

I cant wait to get home and work on my truck, 2 weeks in Iowa without Rovers has been killing me!

THANKS
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:50 pm

I use plain green stuff.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:07 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
I use plain green stuff.

x2
My only advice is probably pretty obvious... If you don't know what coolant was in the engine previously, don't assume that it's all out of it...flush it out with distilled water before putting anything else in it.

I've heard that green, yellow, and the blue stuff (blue is thed VW stuff, right?) are all good. The big thing is to just make sure you stay aware from Dexcool.

Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:15 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:
I use plain green stuff.

x2
My only advice is probably pretty obvious... If you don't know what coolant was in the engine previously, don't assume that it's all out of it...flush it out with distilled water before putting anything else in it.

I've heard that green, yellow, and the blue stuff (blue is thed VW stuff, right?) are all good. The big thing is to just make sure you stay aware from Dexcool.

Yea I am going to run distilled and a flush thru it to begin with anyway. The vw Is red it's pentosin coolant.. They also use g12 g12+..++ all sorts of weird shit. I think g12++ is purple...

This coolant is becoming popular now too http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=3481 since I always use water wetter anyway I may try it out.

And contrary to discomikes recommendations dexcool is terrible. I'd rather fill my truck with piss
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:17 pm

I swapped mine out when I did my head gaskets. Drained all the coolant, the used a shopvac in the coolant pipe to suck everything out, followed by blowing out with compressed air. I then refilled with water and repeated, twice. Worked well, but took me forever to bleed all the air out
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Jake wrote:
dcarr1971 wrote:
durt d1ver wrote:
I use plain green stuff.

x2

Yea I am going to run distilled and a flush thru it to begin with anyway. The vw Is red it's pentosin coolant.. They also use g12 g12+..++ all sorts of weird shit. I think g12++ is purple...

This coolant is becoming popular now too http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=3481 since I always use water wetter anyway I may try it out.

And contrary to discomikes recommendations dexcool is terrible. I'd rather fill my truck with piss

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say...stay away from dexcool. Last night's tequila is just getting in the way of me being able type...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:22 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
I swapped mine out when I did my head gaskets. Drained all the coolant, the used a shopvac in the coolant pipe to suck everything out, followed by blowing out with compressed air. I then refilled with water and repeated, twice. Worked well, but took me forever to bleed all the air out

Oh yea after HG jobs it would take forever to get all the air out. And some hold air longer than others. I tried telling that guy on dweb he has an air pocket but he still thinks his Tstat is broken lol.

I flushed mine this summer real good when I put the new radiator in.. Just ran prestone flush, two cycles of water and then green coolant.
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 5:41 pm

i've had good luck with the prestone green stuff... over the years.

i usually buy the 50/50 stuff because i hate mixing... then i top off with spring water if needed (not much) and add water wetter...

my old man has PEAK (non dex) in his GMC Canyon and it is also treating his fine. whatever is on sale
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 am

apatrizzi wrote:

i usually buy the 50/50 stuff because i hate mixing... then i top off with spring water if needed (not much) and add water wetter...

my old man has PEAK (non dex) in his GMC Canyon and it is also treating his fine. whatever is on sale

Yea I have always ran green premix prestone in my old engine too and filled up the black truck with it.. May try Redline Super Cool just to be different Very Happy
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Yea I have always ran green premix prestone in my old engine too and filled up the black truck with it.. May try Redline Super Cool just to be different Very Happy

you're different enough... stick with what works.
Back to top Go down
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I always use the regular green stuff with water wetter and Caterpillar liner additive. The Cat additive helps keep the liners from reacting to the aluminum block and it keeps static fr eatin the liners from the inside out.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Long Haul wrote:
I always use the regular green stuff with water wetter and Caterpillar liner additive. The Cat additive helps keep the liners from reacting to the aluminum block and it keeps static fr eatin the liners from the inside out.

I like the cat additive advice.. especially for those d2 guys..
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 10:03 pm

apatrizzi wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

you're different enough... stick with what works.

All this new stuff coming out why not stick with what works better? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 am

Long Haul wrote:

where do you get the cat liner additive i read about it but never seen it for sale, guess it's cuz we don't have a heavy equipment store within 100 miles. lol
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Long Haul
NELRC Original Gangsta
Long Haul

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 11:53 am

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Long Haul wrote:

where do you get the cat liner additive i read about it but never seen it for sale, guess it's cuz we don't have a heavy equipment store within 100 miles. lol

I snag it from work LOL. Ive only seen it in truck repair shops and heavy equipment places. I know John Deere uses a similar product as does Kubota. The directions say 1oz to every 2 gallon mix. I think the bottle I have was 16oz enough for a 1shot in a heavy truck. I'll see when I get home if theres any more info on the bottle.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 12:19 pm

i know of a heavy equipment place by my parents that i could try and get it from. let me know what the bottle says. quick google shopping search online came up empty handed.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
i know of a heavy equipment place by my parents that i could try and get it from. let me know what the bottle says. quick google shopping search online came up empty handed.

When I looked into it the different additives have like 3 or 4 letter names.. Probably standard info if you own a Catapiller...

I'm excited my engine should be here tomorrow! pulled CKPS, kock sensors and neg starter cable in preperation for the swap... Only waiting on Kase's engine hoist now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:17 am

dcarr1971 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say...stay away from dexcool. Last night's tequila is just getting in the way of me being able type...

LOVE this post! Stay away from Dexcool! All based on NOTHING. I have run nothing but Dexcool in my Audis for years. It is phosphate and silicate free - just like Pentosin.

There is no scientifically documented reason that Dexcool is not good. A lot of supposed issues that exist in any engine. Dexcool did this, Dexcool did that...and so does every other engine running any coolant.

Damn proof and logic...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 am

I don't like dexcool because disco mike reccomends it.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:28 am

what color is dexcool?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 am

jveen wrote:
what color is dexcool?

Red-orangeIsh so I've heard.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:34 am

Jake wrote:

F-me. That figures. I'm out. My NAPA now carries Pentosin.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:03 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
Jake wrote:

F-me. That figures. I'm out. My NAPA now carries Pentosin.

HMM I may have to see if my Napa does too..

I got my engine and care package from Joel at Buckhorn Imports and I must say that I am damn impressed with his services, the parts that showed up - even extra stuff I wasn't expecting and I would strongly recommend him based on this experience. The engine got here in the same amount of time as the UPS box he sent. Here are the goods!

swaparoo, coolant and suggestions Engine10

swaparoo, coolant and suggestions Parts10

The $500 truck paid for itself while trying to get the engine to the storage garage. I had to SLOWLY pull the pallet from the bottom of the hill on the gravel to the front of the door. Then I jumped my winch from the black truck to the white truck and winched the engine into the garage.. Gonna have to move everything around so I can use the hoist

Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Wow thats awesome! Maybe you will be ready for rovers on the rocks in november
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
Wow thats awesome! Maybe you will be ready for rovers on the rocks in november

If I had an engine hoist and more $$ for gas I could make the pines trip next weekend Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: swaparoo, coolant and suggestions   swaparoo, coolant and suggestions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

swaparoo, coolant and suggestions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next