Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tray back Disco build

Go down 
+8
apatrizzi
DiscoSux
airbornrover
devildog01
Hilltoppersx
Thebloody323
Turf
Jake
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Tray back Disco build Empty
PostSubject: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:56 pm

- Decided to move this over to it's own thread to document everything on this forum as well.

Mean while - I decided it's time to chop it.. Here's the progress from today

Tray back Disco build 154515_3613081763700_1173450092_32924222_1524925245_n

Here's the plan

Tray back Disco build Car_id_318_1

Gonna rivet in aluminum I think after I fix the floors and what not

Last edited by Jake on Mon May 07, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Did a little cutting today

Tray back Disco build Chop10
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 8:10 pm

My motivation to do work on the truck today

Tray back Disco build 530131_3628575591036_1173450092_32931322_1915633515_n

Chopped the rear QP at the front of the wheel well and then cut the rear body mounts and off she came. The rear was surprisingly light.. I removed it all myself

Tray back Disco build 403524_3628525389781_1173450092_32931314_1952420156_n

Tray back Disco build Photo5lqu

Tray back Disco build Photo6ch

I am now looking to trade the tires and wheels off of this truck for a set of mud tires. Let me know if you guys see any out there or want the tires and wheels on this truck and we can make a deal. They are practically new.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 9:20 pm

todays inspiration is probably my favorite one i've seen so far. Wheel base gonna stay the same?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Turf wrote:
todays inspiration is probably my favorite one i've seen so far. Wheel base gonna stay the same?

Todays inspiration appears to be a P38 if you look closely at the front.

At this point yes wheel base will stay the same. If a stretch does happen it will be in the front since the rear is going to be bobbed a couple inches behind the rear tires.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

Gonna go fuel cell with the tray up high or out a tray right on the floor?
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 7:41 am

Also. I'm curious what a scrapped disco gets at the metal yard. Lemme know
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 9:25 am

Looking good so far.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:01 am

Turf wrote:
Gonna go fuel cell with the tray up high or out a tray right on the floor?

The tray is going to be up high May put the cell underneath it mounted to the frame so I have somewhere to keep a spare and other goodies.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:03 am

Turf wrote:

A whole disco? around $400. What I have? Probably not much which is why I will probably save the fenders and rear hatch door to be resold. Also keeping all the rear windows for spare for my truck. The rest is a lot of interior plastic, vinyl and carpet.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:06 am

Thebloody323 wrote:
Looking good so far.

Thanks it's getting there. Not too much more tearing down before I start building it up again. Just got to cut the doors to matchthe roof and floor lines and then shorten the frame and then it's onto the floors and then the cab.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:26 am

Turf wrote:

guess you have given up on yours? lol
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
devildog01
Industrial Strength Dickhead
devildog01

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:59 am

The way it is now it looks better than Kase's truck.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Got some rims and tires cheap, just have to pick them up down in DC area. The tires are going to need to be replaced soon but it's a good rolling set until I sell the tires and wheels on it now.

Tray back Disco build Attachment

Posted this in a couple places to get some ideas for the build -

All in all the project is going well. The only challenges I see that I havent completely solved yet are as follows.

1. How and what to use for a fuel cell. I see some trucks have used a defender tank mounted on the tray itself, I like this idea or something similar I can mount under the bed that way I will have space for a spare, and other goodies.

2. How to brace, cut and seal the cab especially around the roof where it's curved.. I have decided running 1x1 square tubing across tops of rear door panels and then across the back of the truck is probably going to be the best way to make some supports. And then maybe add an additional vertical pillar.

3. Front seats - I would like to maintain two front seats. The easiest option is manual D1 seats but that's kind of boring and wouldnt include a harness.

Then of course issues/ideas that will need to be addressed later on like the design of the cage and bed. Diff and rocker sill protection. Street legality. Etc.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Did some preliminary measurements today decided 24" is going to come off of the rear and that will low for a bumper to still be mounted even with 35-36" tires if it ever comes to that.

Decided that cutting the roof and bending it down to rivet a piece of sheet in from the inside out may be the best bet to prevent leaks. This plan may change though once I get the doors cut and can get a better look at everything.

Going rivets all the way cause it's cheap and easy. Maybe do 4 seperate panels and then cut for a rear window later on..
Back to top Go down
airbornrover
ABS Modulator Fondler

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Might want to check out the build threads on LR4x4. Might also be something on Devon 4x4 forum that they run.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:52 pm

airbornrover wrote:
Might want to check out the build threads on LR4x4. Might also be something on Devon 4x4 forum that they run.

Yea I have pulled a TON of pics from LR4x4 and the difflock forums. The problem is I havent found any in depth build threads just pics which makes some stuff tough.

After looking at seats and harnesses I have decided to keep manual rover seats. Also decided to keep the fuel tank and reroute the hoses. Kinda making things up as I go at this point but that is part of the fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 1:06 am

devildog01 wrote:
The way it is now it looks better than Kase's truck.

really? every f'ing thread?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Took the gas tank out for now and chopped the rear of the frame. Cleaned it up and sprayed some paint on it to keep it from rusting. The frame is in decent overall condition just a lot of surface rust to take off.

Tray back Disco build Rear_c10

This pic is to show the rear approach angle and also where I will probably strap the gas tank.

Tray back Disco build Rear_c11

I some how managed to roast my trusty harbor freight grinder while cleaning up the frame. Will try to fix it tomorrow or go buy another dozen for a dime.

Fixed the stating issue, it was the battery as I assumed. Gonna pick up a new one for the white truck and pass down the old one to this truck. Going to pick that up and the new set of steel wheels and tires this weekend.

Still need to take the rear doors apart and pull the glass and parts that are worth something before I start cutting there. I am going to come up with a cab length by test fitting the old seat and seeing how much room i really need.

I got one of those break pipe bender tools. need to go get brake piping at some point. I really want to drive this thing around
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Kicking more ideas around

Thinking I am going to go with a tray similar to this.

Tray back Disco build Tray

Make it out of square tube and then tie the cage straight into the frame. Except I am thinking about making the cut out for the spare all the way in the rear where it can fit between the frame because I dont have plans for a rear winch at this time.

Here's the thought - you have to use imagination but cage will be in front of the spare. and the tray will come probably 1/2-3/4 up the spare so you will only see the top of the tire mostly. Then I will find a way to secure it from the top to keep it from bouncing.
Tray back Disco build 155426_3642297294070_1173450092_32935589_1706185320_n
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:39 pm

When do the wood blocks and tractor tires go on?
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Hilltoppersx wrote:
When do the wood blocks and tractor tires go on?

haha I want to get some stupid beefy tires for this thin eventually. I am going to pick up rims and tires this weekend and they will be on shortly after that.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Chopped into doors today and cut more off the floor. I am going to take even more off if you see the cut on the lower part of the door. Maybe more- we will see.. Gonna pick up thoe 4.7 series diffs for it - oh man it's gonna be stupid fun....

Tray back Disco build Chop_c10
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Jake wrote:

Here's the thought - you have to use imagination but cage will be in front of the spare. and the tray will come probably 1/2-3/4 up the spare so you will only see the top of the tire mostly. Then I will find a way to secure it from the top to keep it from bouncing.

Only issue is with the tire sittnig the way you have it it'll be right in the middle of your tray so you wont have that much useable tray space. Dude in the other photo had his tire butted up to the back of his tray to maximize tray surface area. I'd recommend trying to fit it under the tray or at the back like the other dood has it
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Turf wrote:
Jake wrote:

Only issue is with the tire sittnig the way you have it it'll be right in the middle of your tray so you wont have that much useable tray space. Dude in the other photo had his tire butted up to the back of his tray to maximize tray surface area. I'd recommend trying to fit it under the tray or at the back like the other dood has it

I would BUT I am putting my gas tank under there.. So that kinda makes it hard. Depending on how much I take off I may be able to to make it work. Useable tray space isnt that big of a deal as long as I can fit some sort of box in the back for random shit and tools. - Think trailer queen Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tray back Disco build   Tray back Disco build I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tray back Disco build
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next