Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My D.I.Y. Head job

Go down 
+6
DiscoSux
Thebloody323
DanC
durt d1ver
Jake
jveen
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

My D.I.Y. Head job  Empty
PostSubject: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm

I was able to get v.t.o. (voluntary time off) today so I thought I start my head gaskets. spent about 1 1/2-2 hours at it. Got the upper intake off. Went smooth with no problems. The only thing I encountered was that the mechanic that the p.o. had working on the truck didn't bolt shit back together I am missing 2 that hold coolant lines to the intake on the pass. side, and there were only 2 bolts holding the coil pack on. And I found of all thing dog treats in the airbox that weren't there when I changed the air filter last year.
The dog treats wtf I'll have to ask Trevor about this. hahaha
My D.I.Y. Head job  2012-014
The end results
My D.I.Y. Head job  2012-015
Is this normal the cleaner in pass. rear Dirtier Driver front?
My D.I.Y. Head job  2012-016
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Looking good! Whats the plan once you get the heads off?
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 pm

The Will Tillary route I want the heads off before I place my order so he isn't waiting on my cores. I dont want to piss a parts guy off. I just a little mad about the missing bolts I can take the piss poor repaint they had done. I guess someone in Allentown was a baller on a budget. all in all it was easy I was thinking it would be hard as hell to get that off i guess all the fun is lower on the block
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:58 pm

I'd call Will and let him know you're gonna need a set cause he had to take a set to the machine shop for my buddy Richard when he placed his order. Just a heads up so you're not waiting a long time for them.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Ask will to also send you whatever random bolts you need while youre at it.
Back to top Go down
DanC
Guy Who Knows Shit

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:59 pm

The dog food in the airbox is from mice.
They filled up my muffler on the motorcycle one winter.
Dog food was flying everywhere when I started it.
I caught 16 mice so far this winter in my 1 car shed.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am

DanC wrote:

Dan

I had to evict a mouse family from my air box, pulled 3 hand fulls of lint from the dam thing.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 am

jveen wrote:
The Will Tillary route I want the heads off before I place my order so he isn't waiting on my cores. I dont want to piss a parts guy off. I just a little mad about the missing bolts I can take the piss poor repaint they had done. I guess someone in Allentown was a baller on a budget. all in all it was easy I was thinking it would be hard as hell to get that off i guess all the fun is lower on the block

How much does he charge and why wouldn't just get the heads done yourself? I had mine done locally and knew exactly what was done. I have a rudimentary block tester if you want to use it. With a D2 I would want to...

I got my pig going tonight. Last night I started in and found coolant under the truck. I followed it and found it dripping off the trans. I looked above and did not see anything - uh oh, ANOTHER head gasket?! I thought for sure the back of the RH head was pissing out the back, my heart sank. Then I found a seeping heater core line and was elated! A simple clamp change and I was golden.

btw, I found that I had unplugged the fuel pump while rerouting my tail light wires - cool. She fired right up!
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:50 am

Quote :
jveen wrote:

How much does he charge and why wouldn't just get the heads done yourself? I had mine done locally and knew exactly what was done. I have a rudimentary block tester if you want to use it. With a D2 I would want to...

I got my pig going tonight. Last night I started in and found coolant under the truck. I followed it and found it dripping off the trans. I looked above and did not see anything - uh oh, ANOTHER head gasket?! I thought for sure the back of the RH head was pissing out the back, my heart sank. Then I found a seeping heater core line and was elated! A simple clamp change and I was golden.

btw, I found that I had unplugged the fuel pump while rerouting my tail light wires - cool. She fired right up!

Jake suggested him and his diy kit and places around here wont do Rovers

Quote :

Dan

That makes sense didnt think of mice
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:55 am

jveen wrote:
Quote :
jveen wrote:

Jake suggested him and his diy kit

No doubt a good route, just curious. Wil is a good guy afaik...
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 10:07 am

The main reason I would go the Will Tillery route is for no down time. When you take the heads off, you have a complete set to go right back on, instead of waiting the better part of a week to get your back from a machine shop. If your not in a rush, it will be cheaper to get it done locally.

I can't see a machine shop saying they won't do rover heads. When I brought mine to my guy, he looked at them and asked if I was rebuilding a buick. I told him, same engine, just land rover.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:10 am

jveen wrote:

The heads are not "Rover work". As mentioned, its a 1960's GM engine.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Yes I suggest Will because he sends you everything you need and you dont have to deal with taking them to the machine shop, down time etc.

It's only $510 which I mean you think about it $300 for heads and $200 for gasket kit and bolts shipped. Plus Will knows his shit and his machine shop did a great job on the set of heads we put on Richards truck. Piece of mind that you had your heads done at a good shop that knows what they are doing is worth the little extra $$.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
jveen wrote:

Yea but if they say they dont do rover heads, and dont even want to see what they look like, I wouldnt take mine there as they clearly dont have confidence in their abilities.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Jake wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
jveen wrote:

Yea but if they say they dont do rover heads, and dont even want to see what they look like, I wouldnt take mine there as they clearly dont have confidence in their abilities.

There have to be 40 machine shops within 25 miles of you. Maybe ONE shop said that but certainly not more.

Besides - Wil's deal is a good one. I have about $500 in my head work and parts easily. I probably would have done the same thing had I known about it.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:12 pm

I know a picture isnt going to be able to tell you if these heads were done correctly but since it's shiney I figured I'd post a pic for you Very Happy

My D.I.Y. Head job  431985_3254407637071_1173450092_32780424_234228446_n
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:58 pm

I didnt realize that he included the gasket kit and head bolts for that price.
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Definitely a sweet deal from Will, but does anyone know if it includes a valve job? Either way the price is good...
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:06 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:
Definitely a sweet deal from Will, but does anyone know if it includes a valve job? Either way the price is good...

Good point. I had a valve job done on mine. In only makes sense with the heads being off.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm

dcarr1971 wrote:

Yes valve job and valve guide seals replaced with the good seals.

Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Jake wrote:
dcarr1971 wrote:

3 angle?
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:22 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
Jake wrote:
dcarr1971 wrote:

3 angle?

Not 100% on that - the details from Will are "ramanned heads with valve job complete"
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Purple power is some good stuff!

My D.I.Y. Head job  P1060402
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I disassembled and cleaned the lifters with Purple Power too.

My D.I.Y. Head job  P1060404
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:24 pm

...and valve covers

My D.I.Y. Head job  P1060415
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My D.I.Y. Head job
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next