Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My D.I.Y. Head job

Go down 
+6
DiscoSux
Thebloody323
DanC
durt d1ver
Jake
jveen
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Check your pistons...

My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 IMG_7051
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Well hit up Harbor Freight tonight on the way home from work grabbed a 25" breaker bar and impact sockets for the heads. But it looks like the weather isn't going to be nice for the weekend. For cleaning the numerous parts I got Gunk gel engine de-greaser is that safe to use on it. Discosux are there any special steps to clean the lifters? What do I look for when I check my pistons.

On a side note a guy at work that usually busts my balls for have a terrible truck Stood up for my truck and land rovers(I owe him a beer and i wont make fun of his man boobs) when a jeeper went off bashing all other 4x4 for not being able to do what his jeep on 33's could do.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 pm

jveen wrote:
Well hit up Harbor Freight tonight on the way home from work grabbed a 25" breaker bar and impact sockets for the heads. But it looks like the weather isn't going to be nice for the weekend. For cleaning the numerous parts I got Gunk gel engine de-greaser is that safe to use on it. Discosux are there any special steps to clean the lifters? What do I look for when I check my pistons.

On a side note a guy at work that usually busts my balls for have a terrible truck Stood up for my truck and land rovers(I owe him a beer and i wont make fun of his man boobs) when a jeeper went off bashing all other 4x4 for not being able to do what his jeep on 33's could do.

I maybe went a little overboard in cleaning the lifters. I just thought I may as well since I was in there and everything had a black coating where there was oil. The lifters come apart, it is easy but a little time consuming. I was waiting for my heads so I had the time. If you like I can send you something on how to do it. I may even be able to be talked into running up there for a few hours.

I recommend dropping the pan and cleaning it while you're down. Of course I was also in a garage so...

If you have a D2 you want to look for a slipped liner as well. Google it for some pictures. I believe the slip is very minor and you need to look closely to see it - not sure. As for the pistons, just look at them. The burnt piston was quite obvious as you can see. The Gunk you got will be fine for cleaning. I just found that Purple Power works really well on aluminum. I just let the stuff soak over night - you can see on the rocker arms as only one end was in the solution.

Remember to put the lifters and push rods back in the same place with the push rods in the same direction. It is not super critical for the push rods but you can wipe a cam out if the lifters get mixed up. Not likely, but possible.

Use a plastic scraper to clean your mating surfaces. Less tendency to scrape the surface. Then some cleaner and Scotchbrite works good for a final clean.

I'm "Kase" by the way. Dave Kase - glutton for punishment and abuse.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I knew you were Dave but couldn't think of your last name And I know the Dave from Pitt was posting so I didnt want any confusion thanks for the tips
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:30 pm

jveen wrote:
I knew you were Dave but couldn't think of your last name And I know the Dave from Pitt was posting so I didnt want any confusion thanks for the tips

Cool. Wish I could remember your name...

I didn't get to wheel with you. I'd forget Brett's name if it wasn't tattoo'd on my ass (backwards so I can read it in the mirror)
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Kase wtf happened to your piston?
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Jake wrote:
Kase wtf happened to your piston?

I believe it was driving it 200 miles with a blown head gasket. It must have been sucking air. That is an old pic - when I bought the truck.
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
Brake Light Switch Repairman
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:31 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
jveen wrote:
The Will Tillary route I want the heads off before I place my order so he isn't waiting on my cores. I dont want to piss a parts guy off. I just a little mad about the missing bolts I can take the piss poor repaint they had done. I guess someone in Allentown was a baller on a budget. all in all it was easy I was thinking it would be hard as hell to get that off i guess all the fun is lower on the block

How much does he charge and why wouldn't just get the heads done yourself? I had mine done locally and knew exactly what was done. I have a rudimentary block tester if you want to use it. With a D2 I would want to...

I got my pig going tonight. Last night I started in and found coolant under the truck. I followed it and found it dripping off the trans. I looked above and did not see anything - uh oh, ANOTHER head gasket?! I thought for sure the back of the RH head was pissing out the back, my heart sank. Then I found a seeping heater core line and was elated! A simple clamp change and I was golden.

btw, I found that I had unplugged the fuel pump while rerouting my tail light wires - cool. She fired right up!

Hmmm... wonder if thats what could be wrong with mine? Just expected HG, will have to look for that hose, maybe I'll get lucky.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 am

DocFodge wrote:

Hmmm... wonder if thats what could be wrong with mine? Just expected HG, will have to look for that hose, maybe I'll get lucky.

The supply and return hoses are above the right head at the firewall Doc. There is also a connection or two over the intake. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 am

Didn't get anything done this weekend cause of the weather. I guess there is always next weekend.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 am

jveen wrote:
Didn't get anything done this weekend cause of the weather. I guess there is always next weekend.

Rent a storage garage like Jake! You can work on it at your leisure without weather considerations. Most places won't allow you to work on anything there but maybe you can find one that will allow it. Or just get in there and knock it out before any one notices...
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
DocFodge wrote:

The supply and return hoses are above the right head at the firewall Doc. There is also a connection or two over the intake. Good Luck!

Thanks Dave. Going to check it out this weekend. Wonder if I could be so lucky.... I would think if the HG took a crap I would have had some other symptom. It all pissed out when I parked and turned the car off. No overheating, no burning smell (actually, very minor but may have been coming from it dripping down). Seems like every ounce of fluid drained out which might make sense if the hose(s) busted or came loose. Would the check engine light come,on if the HG blew? Are there any other things that happen exclusive of the gasket blowing?
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 pm

It depends on where and how the hg fails. Mine merely leaked coolant externally. Others have leaked coolant into the oil, while other let combustion gasses into the coolant. My unscientific theory points at the head bolts. Next time i have to deal with it, im using studs, you get better clamping force, can tighten to a specific torque, not the double 90 degree turns that the stretch bolts use.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 am

DocFodge wrote:
Seems like every ounce of fluid drained out which might make sense if the hose(s) busted or came loose. Would the check engine light come,on if the HG blew? Are there any other things that happen exclusive of the gasket blowing?

Doc - normally a blown head gasket will not empty out all the fluid. As a matter of fact, I have never heard of that happening. Brian is right in that a head gasket can "blow" in several ways. It depends which of the three "fluids" (cylinder air, coolant, oil) connect when she goes.

Your symptoms sound like a hose or maybe a freeze-out plug. Either of those would be an easy fix.

First, check your oil and coolant and see if they are mixed with the other. Then I would fill it with water and start it. Watch the temp and then see where it is pissing from. I am fairly sure it will be something other than the head gasket. By blown head gasket leaked about 4 gallons of fluid over 200 miles - none of it in liquid form. Again, head gaskets can blow in different places but pissing all the coolant is usually not one of them.
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am

I'd have to agree, it sounds like most likely a hose on the bottom of the engine.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:23 am

When my head gasket went, I would have to fill the coolant reservoir every 1-2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
DocFodge
DocFodge

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 pm

couldn't find any hoses underneath the engine. both coolant inlet and outlet hoses are side by side on the top of the engine compartment (passenger side). they are dry as a bone. the more i research the more i think that if the valley pan gasket failed I could get a fair amount of discharge. But i'm telling you, it was at least a gallon or more that came POURING out. I'm going to fill it up and run it this weekend to see if I can see where its pissing fluid from. i did double check the oil - it is as clean as new oil should be (I had just changed it). throttle body heater gasket looked good. its very 'wet' looking on the passenger side rear of the engine.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:07 am

my truck leaked alot when my water pump went I had to add coolant every couple days
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 am

DocFodge wrote:
couldn't find any hoses underneath the engine. both coolant inlet and outlet hoses are side by side on the top of the engine compartment (passenger side). they are dry as a bone. the more i research the more i think that if the valley pan gasket failed I could get a fair amount of discharge. But i'm telling you, it was at least a gallon or more that came POURING out. I'm going to fill it up and run it this weekend to see if I can see where its pissing fluid from. i did double check the oil - it is as clean as new oil should be (I had just changed it). throttle body heater gasket looked good. its very 'wet' looking on the passenger side rear of the engine.

Doc - did you check the freeze out plugs in the block? Once you put water in it, hopefully it will be obvious.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
DocFodge wrote:

Doc - did you check the freeze out plugs in the block? Once you put water in it, hopefully it will be obvious.

Good call Kase - freeze plugs or heater core. You should pick up some coolant tracer dye - that will tell you where it's coming from.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm

if you use tracer dye, just remember that you need to get dexcool compatible tracer dye if you still have the dexcool in there. Autozone sells it.
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Jake wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
DocFodge wrote:

Good call Kase - freeze plugs or heater core. You should pick up some coolant tracer dye - that will tell you where it's coming from.

If its spraying out by the gallon, die will not be needed me thinks! Heater Core would puke on the carpet...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
Jake wrote:
DiscoSux wrote:
DocFodge wrote:

If its spraying out by the gallon, die will not be needed me thinks! Heater Core would puke on the carpet...

Yea but if everything is still wet and he cant see where it's coming from...
Back to top Go down
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Jake wrote:

Couldn't hurt, I have only used a die once - for oil. Putting die in Land Rover fluids is just asking to have a gay rainbow painted on your driveway...
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

DiscoSux wrote:
Jake wrote:

Couldn't hurt, I have only used a die once - for oil. Putting die in Land Rover fluids is just asking to have a gay rainbow painted on your driveway...

Im surprised you dont do it all the time then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My D.I.Y. Head job
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next