Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My D.I.Y. Head job

Go down 
+6
DiscoSux
Thebloody323
DanC
durt d1ver
Jake
jveen
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DiscoSux
Forum Asshole
DiscoSux

My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 10:22 pm

jveen wrote:
I guess ill have to pick one up this weekend

Advance Auto sells the Irwin stud extractor kit. That's what I used to get one head bolt out.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:22 am

Quote :
Advance Auto sells the Irwin stud extractor kit. That's what I used to get one head bolt out.

I got one it "bit" the bolt then the 3/8 to 1/2 broke. now it doesnt want to"bite"
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:32 am

jveen wrote:
Quote :

I got one it "bit" the bolt then the 3/8 to 1/2 broke. now it doesnt want to"bite"

Go to a smaller socket and tap it on with a hammer. Then use a big ass breaker bar with a helper bar
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Today was a bust. I am drilling it out I'm tired of this piece of shit truck. It spent more time sitting at mom's and Trevor's than it did on the road, I only got it a year ago this week. My next project now is Saudi grill since I smashed the hell out of it in frustration.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Drilling!?!
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 5:33 pm

nothing else is working. Tried to hammer a smaller socket on didn't go
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Finally a post about progress and not crying. Took a real hammer not a rubber mallet hit a 15mm bolt extractor on it and it broke loose I didnt even have to put that much ass into it. Thanks for the tips. Now to put it all back together looks like I will make the annual. I was hoping to have my winch on by then but I dont think i'll have enough time. Once again thanks everyone for your tips and insight.

JT
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

I am glad to hear you got it sorted. In my opinion the last place a drill belongs is the engine bay.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Fucking awesome! Once you have it apart, putting it back together is comparatively simple. Just follow the RAVE instructions, and you'll be fine. If you have SAI, just remember to put all the pipes back in before you put the intake manifold upper half on. And while it's all open, get rid of the dexcool, and replace it with green stuff.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:19 am

Any tips for cleaning the valley and cylinders. I am thinking blasting it with water is a no go
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

jveen wrote:
Any tips for cleaning the valley and cylinders. I am thinking blasting it with water is a no go

carb cleaner

And use a soft plastic dishwashing scrubber thing.. I dont want to say SOS pad cause those are the ones made of metal..
Back to top Go down
DarylJ
Jiffy Lube Tech
DarylJ

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 7:00 pm

jveen wrote:

Purple power or whatever is fine. Just clean it off afterwards with carb cleaner, and you'll obviously need to change your oil before the first start (which you should be doing anyway).
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:51 am

I used a combination of brakleen and kerosene, mainly because thats what i had in the garage at the time.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 3:49 pm

cleaned up the pistons saw some nicks on the face of a few of them. Now time for a deep breath and put it back together
My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 22482310
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Snapped a head bolt. How fucked am I. #1 on the Pass. side. Do I need to replace all 10 or just the one
Back to top Go down
DarylJ
Jiffy Lube Tech
DarylJ

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

jveen wrote:
Snapped a head bolt. How fucked am I. #1 on the Pass. side. Do I need to replace all 10 or just the one

Assuming you need to remove the head to extract the bolt, ALL of them. They are torque to yield.

Did you chase the threads first? Did you oil the bolt before install? I've never heard of a head bolt snapping during install.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:43 pm

Quote :
jveen wrote:

Assuming you need to remove the head to extract the bolt, ALL of them. They are torque to yield.

Did you chase the threads first? Did you oil the bolt before install? I've never heard of a head bolt snapping during install.

I was just starting to torque. none were torqued down yet. I oiled them. cleaned out the threads with brake cleaner and swabs.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 5:48 pm

I installed all head bolts finger tight. went to start torquing damn nieces started screaming like berserkers.
Didnt hear or feel the torque wrench click reset wrench went to tighten didnt hear or feel again click. went to touch bolt head it came out in my hand.
Back to top Go down
DarylJ
Jiffy Lube Tech
DarylJ

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 3:28 pm

jveen wrote:
I installed all head bolts finger tight. went to start torquing damn nieces started screaming like berserkers.
Didnt hear or feel the torque wrench click reset wrench went to tighten didnt hear or feel again click. went to touch bolt head it came out in my hand.

You shouldn't have had the torque wrench ste to anything near what would break a bolt. In fact, you should have needed to really wail on it to get it that tight. Your initial torque by the wrench is barely anything, followed by two rounds of 90 degree angle torque.

If you got anywhere near a torque value that would break a bolt head off on the first torque sequence (assuming you were doing this correctly) it has to be as simple as a manufacturing defect. Exactly how much torque were you putting on it? The first torque sequence should be easily accomplished with one hand by a toddler. It's only 15 ft. lbs.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 6:27 pm

15 ft
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Heads went on easily. Liked the studs easier than the 90*-90* with the head bolts. No I am stuck trying to get the damn exhaust manifold gaskets on so far they are kicking my ass. Any tips to get them on. I am about to just use gasket maker and shoot a bead of that on there.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Did you disconnect the manifolds from the downpipe, or leave them on, and let them hang? If theyre on, slide the bolts through the manifold, and hang the gaskets on the bolts.

Gasket maker would burn right off due to the temps. I do wish someone made a 1 piece exhaust gasket, it would be much simpler then, as opposed to the individual or dual gaskets.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Got it back together no extra parts (except for the thing that you use to pull the engine out.) It started right up and sounds good. Now I have a coolant leak at the back of the block on the passenger side. I cant really tell were it is coming from but it looks to be above the head by the valve covers. After about 30-45 seconds of running it starts to stream down the back of the block any ideas.
Back to top Go down
Turf
NELRC Master
Turf

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

Same leak on mine a while ago and it was a valley pan gasket.
Back to top Go down
jveen
NELRC Pack Leader
NELRC Pack Leader
jveen

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Quote :
Same leak on mine a while ago and it was a valley pan gasket.
Yea it sucks i Have to spend another weekend under the hood. But at least I tore and engine down and rebuilt with no extra parts and it started on the first try. So i'll still count this head job as a win. Very Happy And thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped me with this job. It is much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My D.I.Y. Head job    My D.I.Y. Head job  - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My D.I.Y. Head job
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next