Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Non-Traditional Land Rover Club

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Welding/fab thread

Go down 
+4
Thebloody323
durt d1ver
dcarr1971
Jake
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 1:25 pm

So after seeing the gas tank skid Kerry made and since a couple of us have welders now I figured we needed a place to share all the work.

Here is my next project. RTE A-bar on a SG bumper. It lines up surprisingly well only a little grinding and then I will tack it up and then pull the bumper to finish it up. Need to get some good practice so that the welds look half way decent..

Welding/fab thread Abar10
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Since I'm pretty sure he'll never check this thread, I'll add it for him. Here's another of the D2 Fuel Tank Skids Kerry made...

Welding/fab thread IMG00585-20120430-0801
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm

That thing is sweet. if he wants to start making them for $$ I will let him borrow the one off my truck. I think it would be even easier to make that the D2 skid. I need to get more tools for bending
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Well it's halfway on there now - I ran out of wire and I only had .035 and no tips for it..

Welding/fab thread Photo13
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Buy the big rolls, its worth it in the long run instead of buying small rolls. Tsc has hobart wire for a decently cheap if theres not a welding shop local to you.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 pm

durt d1ver wrote:
Buy the big rolls, its worth it in the long run instead of buying small rolls. Tsc has hobart wire for a decently cheap if theres not a welding shop local to you.

Yea I got a spool of .035 flux just to have around anyway - I will probably use that up and just try to clean them up best I can with grinder/wirewheel. The a-bar didnt sit completely flat in some spots so I had to fill in the gap. Ground that down and going to lay another bead over top of that.

Wish I had the $$ for gas but... other items are more important at the moment..
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Im going to build a hilift mount for my spare tire carrier, and then we need to figure out how to fit a bumper back on ed's truck
Back to top Go down
dcarr1971
Custom CDL Installer
dcarr1971

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:46 am

Jake wrote:
That thing is sweet. if he wants to start making them for $$ I will let him borrow the one off my truck...

BTW...this one is for sale...I'll put up a post in the For Sale section later...

Last edited by dcarr1971 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thebloody323
NELRC Original Gangsta
Thebloody323

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:53 am

durt d1ver wrote:
Im going to build a hilift mount for my spare tire carrier, and then we need to figure out how to fit a bumper back on ed's truck

Duck-tape? Probably be stronger than two 10 millimetre bolts Wink.

In all seriousness though I'd say weld a steel back plate once you have panel beat everything back into place, drill and tap some mounting holes and reinstall the tail hitch receiver.
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:02 am

yeah thats the plan. the plate that is on the bumper that is supposed to line up with the trailer hitch holes wont line up now and def wont line up when we put a plate in there so that will have to be cut and moved slightly. shouldt be a big deal
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Iirc, we previously discussed spacing the bumper back to get the holes to line up, so a 1/8 or 3/16th plate might actually help the bolt holes line up right
Back to top Go down
Hilltoppersx
Admin
Hilltoppersx

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 2:14 pm

the holes for the hitch were to far backward already. put the plate in they will be pushed even further back
Back to top Go down
https://nelrc.iftopic.com
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 2:19 pm

I thought the holes on the bumper were were too far forward of the holes on the truck when you had it at my house. Whatever, we'll figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Sounds like a plasma cutter is the answer to all of Eds problems

Here's an update on the a-bar project.

Primed and painted but there are a few spots I may go back over with the flapper especially parts I hit on the tube that created some flat spots. The welds arent picture perfect stacked dimes but it's progression from where I started, probably better than bottorf Very Happy and honestly I could give a shit less as long as the bar is there to stay.

Welding/fab thread A-bar10

It doesnt look centered because of how the winch sits in there
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Here are some pics of the finished product -- Sanded and painted. Still not happy with the painting may put some KBS on it so that you cant see where there was once powder coating... Or maybe have it blasts and powder coated eventually.

Welding/fab thread Abar-110

Welding/fab thread Abar-210

I am going to need to put 2" spacers in the rear when I get my new bumper.. Already looks lower because of the flares being lower.
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:37 pm

That little A-bar looks cool on there Jake. Simple and functional.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:40 pm

SPAS12 wrote:
That little A-bar looks cool on there Jake. Simple and functional.

Thanks - the only think I didnt think about.. It's a lot harder to work under the hood now Mad haha but I am happy with how it turned out.
Back to top Go down
SPAS12
ABS Modulator Fondler
SPAS12

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Yeah, my CJ7 is a little harder to get at from the front. I usually just sit on the stinger and get at shit.

..........wait, that last bit sounded really gay.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

So making up some hi lift jack mounts for tube racks.

It's a pretty simple idea and concept. Got some collars, chop the head off a bolt, weld it together, use shock bushings to insulate it and prevent them from making noise and then a washer and wing nut on the outside to secure it. I am making one for Turf that will be locking and have a padlock going thru the bolt like the ones hi lift makes.

Welding/fab thread Photo911

I can make more if anybody else wants a pair I need to go pick up the supplies and then I can get a better idea of what they cost to make.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Finish product

Welding/fab thread Hilift11

I can make these for around $45 let me know if anybody is interested
Back to top Go down
apatrizzi
Brake Light Switch Repairman
apatrizzi

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 5:25 pm

you should think about getting into the rock slider game... i hear there is mad money in them.
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:55 am

apatrizzi wrote:
you should think about getting into the rock slider game... i hear there is mad money in them.

Yea but In order to get them to contour with the body like you have to have them rolled..
Otherwise I'd have no problem making some..
Back to top Go down
LockenDIFF
The Man with the Tan
LockenDIFF

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Yea but In order to get them to contour with the body like you have to have them rolled..

Here
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=pipe+bender

I'll take a pair Smile
Back to top Go down
Jake
NELRC Forum Addict
NELRC Forum Addict
Jake

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 3:01 pm

LockenDIFF wrote:
Jake wrote:
apatrizzi wrote:

Here
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=pipe+bender

I'll take a pair Smile

haha not sure that would quite do the trick.. With that said I am probably going to make a set for my truck after I got everything welded in and it's one piece again. Will mount them to body mounts and add a tube bar later down the road.
Back to top Go down
durt d1ver
NELRC Original Gangsta
durt d1ver

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Re attaching a bumper
Welding/fab thread 2012-05-27_11-54-46_667
Welding/fab thread 2012-05-27_11-54-50_679
Welding/fab thread 2012-05-27_11-55-16_336
Welding/fab thread 2012-05-27_11-56-49_663
Welding/fab thread 2012-05-27_12-36-07_461
Welding/fab thread 2012-05-27_12-36-47_314

Waiting on it to cool, to paint it, then start reinforcing stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Welding/fab thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welding/fab thread   Welding/fab thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welding/fab thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next